Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

why the gently caress did someone think they needed a seaworld in cleveland

anyway they had cool wooden coasters, a centrifuge ride my parents would never let me on and a wave pool. one of the good ones too, with a real tidal wave every 15 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
More like killed by Dick Kinzel because he didn't want competition for Cedar Point.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

well jokes on him because driving out to sandusky felt like crossing the sahara rather than a nice tree lined drive up 43

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I remember going to Geagua Lake after Cedar Point, def the 2nd tier theme park of the area

did there used to be a wooden pier you could walk around the lake on?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

big dyke energy posted:

I remember going to Geagua Lake after Cedar Point, def the 2nd tier theme park of the area

Yes after Six Flags merged Sea World and Geauga Lake into Worlds of Adventure.

When Cedar Fair took over they kept it until they closed the Geauga side.

Cocaine is Abel
Nov 12, 2021
Don’t worry, it’s going to be apartments or something

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Geauga Lake was always nice when I was growing up in the 80's and 90's as the smaller / local park rather than the massive size of Cedar Point. Not sure if I ever went once it became Six Flags and combined with SeaWorld and etc.

In case anyone's never read it, this was floating around a few years back, but remains one of the best detailed histories of Geauga Lake's collapse I've seen:
https://www.themeparktourist.com/features/20140824/28153/lost-geauga-lake-how-worlds-largest-six-flags-disappeared

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

MagusofStars posted:

Geauga Lake was always nice when I was growing up in the 80's and 90's as the smaller / local park rather than the massive size of Cedar Point. Not sure if I ever went once it became Six Flags and combined with SeaWorld and etc.

In case anyone's never read it, this was floating around a few years back, but remains one of the best detailed histories of Geauga Lake's collapse I've seen:
https://www.themeparktourist.com/features/20140824/28153/lost-geauga-lake-how-worlds-largest-six-flags-disappeared

this informed me that seaworld was the SECOND seaworld

"ok, we got san diego, a mediterranian paradise down, now for our second park orlando or cleveland?"

cedar point marketing guy, in a trench coat and fedora "cleveland!"

Cocaine is Abel
Nov 12, 2021
•”also, not really cleveland but kind of in the same area!”

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I grew up in NE Ohio and Sea World (and later Geauga Lake as well once I was deemed old enough) were the major family outings of my childhood. I mostly remember riding some ride (The Rotor?) that pinned you to a wall with spinning way too many times, and watching the nightly fireworks show over the lake in their cable cars.

This was long before any of the Six Flags/Cedar Fair bullshit.

docbeard fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 29, 2022

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I got to go here in one of its last years, after Cedar Fair bought it from Six Flags. I remember it feeling quite depressing despite not knowing it would be closed for good soon. I'm sure it was a nice quaint park before Six Flags destroyed it.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Batman: Knight Flight/Dominator is a great coaster. My home park got it after Geagua closed. Thank you for your sacrifice.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
From Pittsburgh Geague Lake was our 2nd Park after Kennywood; I went to it when it was Geagua/Seaworld, Six Flags Ohio, and then Geagua; honestly maybe nostalgia, but I preferred the OG granted Seaworld is a nightmare zone for Orcas

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
When I was a kid I lived in a suburb of Cleveland and we had season passes to Sea World every summer; never went to Geauga Lake but seeing it across the lake while waiting for the ski show or laser show to start was always neat

also, big ups to the italian place close to the park that my parents insisted on eating at, like, every time

Botman
Mar 3, 2006
DASH DASH DASH!!!!

big dyke energy posted:

Yep. There was a KFC on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
Geauga Lake is such a firm part of 80s childhood memories because it was a popular place for companies and organizations to have large-scale picnics at. So we'd have an all-school day at the end of the year and then usually my dad's company would have their meetup halfway through the summer.

I was a total fan of the slow, rickety monorail to nowhere.

Same with the cable car Sky Glide ride that also went nowhere. After leaving the station, you'd go up and over past Big Ditch Riverboat scene, which was leftover from a wild west riverboat ride that stopped running at some point later in the 80s, and then you'd go around a big wheel and head back to the station.

Once the water park portion opened, we'd use the Rotor as the quickest way to get dry as the rotational forces squeezed your kid body against the walls.

But my favorite was always the flying rockets.

I believe that ride dated back to the 1930s and Euclid Beach Park. It was honestly just so peaceful, as the rockets would spin outwards far enough away that you couldn't even hear the central motor anymore, just the rushing wind. At some point, I want to make the trip out to Disney California Adventure as the Golden Zephyr ride is a near-perfect remake of that bygone era of ride.