Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I lived near Magic Mountain while in HS and went there more times than I can count, pretty much always for free. If you were a Santa Clarita HS kid and didn't work at MM to be able to get in for free, you knew somebody who worked there and could give you tickets. Coaster variety absolutely slapped, I remember when they re-opened X2 and going on it over and over. There was also an attached water park but it was the grimiest, most disgusting park I've ever been in my entire life so I mostly just stuck to the Magic Mountain side.

I also worked there for one summer doing arcade maintenance after hours. I had to be paid under the table because they had some weird rules about what hours and days you could work if you were under 18. As a result I didn't get buried in free tickets like all the other employees but it made my friends think I was just being a stingy rear end in a top hat for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Waffle! posted:

I went on the Viper a few times and that ride was rough. Nitro is great.

Jumping off of this, I think my least favorite weird thing that Six Flags does is re-use names without rhyme or reason. There are 3 Vipers, two of which are steel, one of which is a clone of the Cyclone. They have six different roller coasters with the name Goliath and they aren't even sort of related. 3 different B&M hypercoasters, a Batman clone, a wooden coaster, and a giant inverted boomerang. There are also 2 different Harley Quinn Spinsanities. One of them is a Tourbillon, which is called Cyborg in another one of their parks. Also there are two just plain Spinsanities that are themselves different flats. It's mind boggling, although it does provide a decent excuse to learn the trade names of all these things.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 4, 2022

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Boxman posted:

They have six different roller coasters with the name Goliath and they aren't even sort of related. 3 different B&M hypercoasters, a Batman clone, a wooden coaster, and a giant inverted boomerang.
It's even weirder than that, only two of the hypers are from B&M, the one at Magic Mountain is a Giovanola. There's also a 7th Goliath in what used to be Six Flags Holland(now Walibi Holland), which is an Intamin mega. So besides the ones at Over Georgia and La Ronde, all Goliaths are different models!

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
what we really need is roller coasters that use steam launchers

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Cranappleberry posted:

what we really need is roller coasters that use steam launchers
You ask, Alan Schilke delivers.

0 to 180km/h in 1.56 seconds, 3.3 g's of acceleration.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

Boxman posted:

Jumping off of this, I think my least favorite weird thing that Six Flags does is re-use names without rhyme or reason. There are 3 Vipers, two of which are steel, one of which is a clone of the Cyclone.

Great America has the Cyclone-clone Viper. It fuckin whips rear end so hard, I love it. Great America has three amazing wood coasters, and it makes me so happy. (Our Goliath is the best Goliath).

DrankSinatra fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 6, 2022

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Asehujiko posted:

You ask, Alan Schilke delivers.

0 to 180km/h in 1.56 seconds, 3.3 g's of acceleration.

Not as tall, long, or fast, but Poltergeist at Fiesta Texas boasts 4.5 Gs. Rode it back in the day, 'tis a good coaster.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Judgy Fucker posted:

Not as tall, long, or fast, but Poltergeist at Fiesta Texas boasts 4.5 Gs. Rode it back in the day, 'tis a good coaster.
Different axis, longnitudal g forces over 1.4g or so are rare while 4-4.5g vertically is pretty standard.

Shorter and rides are allowed to be slightly higher, like the park's local Vekoma Boomerang, creatively named Boomerang, which tops out at 5.2g leading into the cobra roll going forward.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/thedrunkriders/status/1556778795453108225?s=21&t=k5ME8EikpQbbtDTFQIJSGQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
-I've gone to Six Flags Over Texas several times, both with family and on band trips. Once they accidentally gave me an extra patty on my burger, so that's like a 10 dollar surprise. My friend and I were cowards so we just rode the mini mine train several times in a row, sometimes they'd even let us stay on the train between rides, which was cool I guess.

-Runaway Mine Train is fun, as was Judge Roy Scream. I've ridden the Titan twice and never again.

-I'll never forgive the park worker from when I was 10 who wouldn't let me drive the bumper cars despite letting the younger and shorter kid behind me drive.

-My one regret in life is not visiting the Casa Magnetica before it closed.

-I've also been to Six Flags St. Louis and was unimpressed.

Those are all of my six flags memories.