Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I don't want to alarm anybody, but apparently there is a roughly 5% chance monkeypox can leave you blind, and it would appear that our plan for public health in the USA is just to... let the entire population be exposed to it? I could be wrong. Maybe that is not the plan. Maybe I'm overthinking it. But anyway, are there any blind goons and if so, how do you read the internet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I remember there was a guy who created an Ask thread here about being blind and how he navigates the internet, but I think he somehow chose the wrong post icon and autobanned.

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010
I am not blind, but one of my very close friends is and I've learned a lot about accessibility from them. (Of course, not all blind people use the same accessibility devices/features, have the same amount of vision, etc, so my comments below only represent a small slice of secondhand experience)

Many blind people are not 100% blind, so they may be able to read a screen with the proper contrast settings and magnification, when held at the proper distance from their face. My friend uses night mode on everything, at a very high magnification, and holds their phone very close to their face. Others, or those who are 100% blind, use screenreaders. Many blind people will use voice to text features to text, etc, rather than trying to type on an on-screen keyboard with no tactile feedback. On a computer, you can still touch type.

The bigger problem is that many websites are not configured properly for screen reading software. Even some major restaurant chains, for example, will post their menus as images that can't be read or will not provide descriptions for buttons so it's not clear where to click to, say, add something to your order.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

There was a blind goon who posted about how he 'reads' the forums; if I remember correctly his setup included a keyboard and speakers, but no mouse or monitor. Not sure if he used a microphone or not. Anyway I think he used the Tab key to jump around on screen and listen to the screen reader.

Edit: here it is: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2438897

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 8, 2022