Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

African lion safari, marineland, some off brand poo poo like zooz, animal themed poo poo with good commercial jingles ftw

I guess canadas wonderland too but I never went up there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Maple Leaf Village for a county fair experience permanently bolted down.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Marineland is a legitimate nightmare of animal abuse. I can't find a better rundown of it than this podcast though.

https://www.canadaland.com/podcast/everyone-loves-marineland/

They were doing whale autopsies in the arcade.

fps_nug
Feb 21, 2021

horsing around no longer

flashy_mcflash posted:

Marineland is a legitimate nightmare of animal abuse. I can't find a better rundown of it than this podcast though.

https://www.canadaland.com/podcast/everyone-loves-marineland/

They were doing whale autopsies in the arcade.

This was a really good listen! thank you

Stephen Harper
Apr 13, 2011

Canada is a Northern European welfare state in the worst sense of the term, and very proud of it.
the funniest thing about wonderland was when they lost all of their paramount licensing and all the rides had to be renamed to way lamer poo poo, like "Italian Job" went to "Backlot Stunt Coaster" and "Top Gun" went to "Flight Deck"

also lol @ Sportsworld back when it existed, now it's just a generic stripmall

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I sincerely can’t believe that Marineland is still open.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I went to Zoo Camp for a few years, which was attached to Jungle Cat World, a small-time zoo out near Peterborough. In retrospect I feel really bad for the animals there, as there's no way most of them are happy. But it was a cool experience as a kid. Off the top of my head, I
- Played with a young wolf puppy named Kara. I remember she was just like a dog, but way stronger.
- Got our cabin group photo holding a giant albino python. It took ten of us and two counselors to hold the thing.
- Held a peregrine falcon, or possibly a red-tailed hawk. Surprisingly light.
- Pet adult lions and tigers through the fences.
- Sat around a campfire and howled to get the wolves to howl back.
- Played with otters, maybe the most fun animals. One came right out of the water and jumped into my lap, but was completely dry.
- Got scared by the various free-roaming animals around the park, particularly the enormous turkeys.

Looks like the place is still around, though the camp owner packed up and bought their own 'more traditional' summer camp out in Muskoka that I'd end up working at for several years. I hope those animals are well cared-for.

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

I was acutely talking to my mom today and we were talking about a trip we took to marine land when I was like 8. We still can’t believe that they let people pet the orcas like they were cuddly sheep and not 7,000 lbs apex predators.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Had 2 brothers that worked at marineland. One's job was to cut up fish that got fed to the whales, the other was a garbage picker upper. It was a rite of passage working there. Of course I never ended up at that place.

Supposedly, the owner would pay the 15 year olds that were garbage picker uppers et-al minimum wage, and then when they turned 18 and were required to be paid like an extra 10-15 cents per hour for minimum wage, they "wouldn't be aasked to come back next year".

Also garbage picker upper brother worked at maple leaf village during the last year of it's operation running the rides.

Prudhomme's landing was another local park but it's completely gone now.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Crystal beach was another local place to the Niagara area. Closed down about 1989 or so. Got to go there a few times before the end but I was younger so don't really remember much about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Crystal beach was another local place to the Niagara area. Closed down about 1989 or so. Got to go there a few times before the end but I was younger so don't really remember much about it.
I'm old enough that I went to Crystal Beach every year for about 10 years before it closed. It was definitely a time capsule that felt a lot more in touch with the 50s than the 80s.

But the comet was huge and great, and the dark rides were fun for a dumb kid.