Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

camoseven posted:

I got some pretty sweet 3D printed card boxes. Each one holds 100 top loaded cards!!

Where did you get them? I wouldn't mind a Phillies one with a sad paper bag face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

i can still taste him posted:

I am up to 735 unique Bo Bichette cards in my PC. That feels like a lot, but it's only 10% of his total cards released so far.

JFC, I am sure I already know the answer to this, but I am guessing the LARGE majority of that total are essentially the same cards, just different 'Fractor or color?

I try to get into current poo poo but the junk wax era is just too much of a nostalgia bomb and 'simpler'...

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Red posted:

Where did you get them? I wouldn't mind a Phillies one with a sad paper bag face.

A guy on Discord, here's his Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fonz4relli/. I'm getting more eventually!

Robert Facepalmer posted:

JFC, I am sure I already know the answer to this, but I am guessing the LARGE majority of that total are essentially the same cards, just different 'Fractor or color?

I try to get into current poo poo but the junk wax era is just too much of a nostalgia bomb and 'simpler'...

Have you tried Heritage? 24 just came out and is based on the 75 design. Looks great and is very much a set builders' set

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
The mariners are so bad they are making me not want to buy baseball cards because it reminds me how bad they are

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

Yes. Example:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

is an oj rookie surge on the horizon

he cant sue for defamation anymore!

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I checked just for curiosity sake and you can get them for 3 digits. I was honestly surprised its not higher given the news, but also, I wouldn't want a signed photo of a murderer in my home.

Its similar to Chris Benoit memorabilia.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

camoseven posted:

Have you tried Heritage? 24 just came out and is based on the 75 design. Looks great and is very much a set builders' set

I know I said I’m not fan of all the parallels, but I have picked up some Allen & Ginter and dug that quite a bit, though rather than buying more boxes I should just pick variants I like and just get singles (which is like the most evergreen recommendation for modern collecting, but goddamn is it fun to just rip).

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Bank posted:

I checked just for curiosity sake and you can get them for 3 digits. I was honestly surprised its not higher given the news, but also, I wouldn't want a signed photo of a murderer in my home.

Its similar to Chris Benoit memorabilia.

Yea like, Wander Franco’s cards cratered for a reason

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

I know I said I’m not fan of all the parallels, but I have picked up some Allen & Ginter and dug that quite a bit, though rather than buying more boxes I should just pick variants I like and just get singles (which is like the most evergreen recommendation for modern collecting, but goddamn is it fun to just rip).

I liked A&G a lot when I was younger, but honestly once I found out you can just buy authentic tobacco cards for cheap I switched over to those lol.

I am probably going to buy a couple boxes of Heritage today, despite swearing off wax every time I buy wax.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Yeah, but old tobacco cards don't have Sen Dog and B-Real! Vintage football is tempting but I haven't pulled the trigger on that. Yet.

I will say that another thing I like about some modern sets is that aside from complete randos like Cypress Hill and Robert DeNiro is that they also have old dudes like Rickey Henderson or Nolan Ryan as well. I'm really surprised that junk wax era sets didn't do that more than Upper Deck doing Baseball Heroes with Ted Williams and Bench/Morgan. Like just have a rando subset of Team Legends and have a Sandy Koufax or Lou Gehrig in your 1993 Stadium Club.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

One of my Heritage boxes was very kind to me!

Also picked up my first TAG slab. These are super sweet but kinda look like rear end on a white background lol. I'm pretty sure I have this card in TAG and SGC 9 now. Might get the PSA 9 for the slabbow

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’ve never heard of TAG

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

i may be mistaken but i think they sort of emerged when psa and beckett had huge backlogs

some like the modern look of the slab itself

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
TAG stands for Technical Authentication & Grading and their whole thing is trying to take human judgment out of the equation when grading. It's a common trope that you can send the same card in to PSA a dozen times and get a different grade every time. So TAG uses... I dunno sensors and cameras and AI and stuff to try to make it more standardized.

So like if you scan that QR code on the slab it takes you to this page, and if you mess with those sliders you can see the surface analysis and stuff that they do. Scroll down and you get the exact centering, DINGS, etc. You can somehow pay more to get access to more of those metrics, I think.

It's obviously not as popular as SGC or PSA, but it does seem to be catching on. There's a lot of people unhappy with PSA in particular (and they just bought SGC, ugh) so I would assume as TAG gets the kinks worked out (they don't do vintage, for example) it will grow in popularity.

edit: Also check out their incredible submission kit and compare it to the nightmare that is submitting to PSA. I haven't tried it yet but I plan to pretty soon.

camoseven fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Card grading submission doesn't have to be an elaborate rite of passage so I appreciate trying to make it less scary for people but that seems like overdoing it.

I've never had problems putting my own stuff in Card Savers, sandwiching them between cardboard, and packing the perimeter with paper & bubble wrap. Like anything, the first time you're nervous and you don't know what to do and it gets easier.

PSA didn't buy SGC, their parent company did. It'll probably take a little while for SGC to turn to poo poo but as long as they maintain quick turnaround times and reasonable grading prices it's fine.