Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Everytime that poo poo goes slightly up in the air here, I feel it in my throat and chest.

It is driving me slowly mad.

Someone help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Sure it's the ozone, and not stuff like particulates that typically also get higher when ozone goes higher?

You can't really do much against ozone or nitrogen oxides. But the particulate matter part of smog can be reduced significantly with good domestic air filters. Make sure to buy a brand that has good availability of replacement filters.

There might be a thread somewhere about air cleaners and which to buy.

You are Jennifer
Dec 25, 2008
Some sources say that carbon air filters can reduce ozone.

Lee, P, and J Davidson. “Evaluation of activated carbon filters for removal of ozone at the PPB level.” American Industrial Hygiene Association journal vol. 60,5 (1999): 589-600. doi:10.1080/00028899908984478

I don’t have access to the full text right now, so I do not know under what circumstances they work well or poorly.

If you want an air filter, buy a mechanical CARB certified air filter with a carbon pre-filter.

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/list-carb-certified-air-cleaning-devices

Do not buy a “better” filter for your furnace or AC, those are there to protect the air handling equipment, not filter your air. They get plugged too quickly, if the airflow is sufficient at all even when brand new.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

StratGoatCom posted:

Everytime that poo poo goes slightly up in the air here, I feel it in my throat and chest.

It is driving me slowly mad.

Someone help?
Lmao ok

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
Most homes in the U.S. are supposed to supposed to put in one one whole house volume's worth of fresh air, once per day....

I think it is an ACIH or ACIGH standard.

To assist with off gassing of dry wall, carpet, etc.

Douglas Legs
Nov 25, 2022

by Hand Knit
I tried tons of stuff to get the ozone controlled in my house. First tried opening windows. That usually helps a lot but doesn't always work. And you don't want to do it on rainy days if the moisture can soak on the windowsill. It's best to do it during a nice morning and then make sure to close it back up at the end of the day. If it rains and you don't have a routine in place to catch it, it can quickly turn to mold that'll make everything much worse.

It might be useful to get one of those ozone monitors that keeps track of CO2 and all that stuff. It tracks the air quality and gives you a dashboard on your phone with live updates.

I had my own ozone monitor logging system and it helped figure out where the vox stuff was coming from. You can put it at different parts of your house. I had one upstairs and downstairs. Set some up in your house.

Then add in some air purifiers. Look for activated charcoal filters. Maybe try putting those filters for your return vents too. And put that in your windows. It theoretically would block bad poo poo like smog from getting in. I haven’t tried it yet though. With your monitors in place you can test it and see what you get.

One big concern that you might not think of is spoiled food. That's what it was for me. I had some old broccoli that went bad. It smelt kinda weird like broccoli sometimes smells like if you sniff it real close to your nose. My egghead roommate at the time thought it would be a good idea to eat it anyway even though it was probably covered in bad demon bacteria with spores spreading through the air. Never let your stupid egghead roommate eat the devil broccoli. I let him eat it because I didn’t know better at the time. I thought "ok, maybe getting rid of it will fix the vox." I tell him to put some baking soda in the fridge and it will all be good in 24 hours. That didn't fix the vox. My roommate’s gut juices started mixing with the bacteria broccoli from hell and forming the satan broccoli pentagram concoction. His gut became the source of a nuclear site with the amount of evil buildup of sulfur and other toxins. It didn't start slow. I was upstairs and heard it when it happened. It was louder than the big bang. My roommate was ripping rear end downstairs, severing the cheeks. I consulted the monitor and it went absolutely ballistic! The stinky rear end farts borne of the demon broccoli child, birthed from the buttwomb bubbled up, aimed directly at the ozone sensor. The fart caused a magnitude 10 on the Richter scale. I pinched my nose tight and hid upstairs to get away, but it was a disaster area up there too within a couple minutes. According to the device, the upstairs was uninhabitable. The first floor was permanently unsuitable for living. I opened all my windows so we could save our noses, but my neighbors yelled at us because of the offensive smell in the town and told us to close the windows back up. I told them to fung off and that its the HOA's problem. The HOA is full of a bunch of eggheads who don't do anything right and charge you tons of money, so you should always make them take care of expensive poo poo like decontamination. The HOA bought face masks to save everyone's noses after that even though this was before covid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006