Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

kalensc posted:

GG Jamwad, you deserved it all along but drat. Losing on a tiebreaker with multiple categories having a margin of 0 or 1 is a tough way to conclude the season!

May the Bruins and Devils get eliminated in April. :gonchar:

Kind of silly that the tiebreaker came down to the week 10 matchup.

I would've had one more assist and won outright if a Pastrnak to Orlov goal hadn't been called offsides earlier today. That was a close one though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Kind of silly that the tiebreaker came down to the week 10 matchup.

I would've had one more assist and won outright if a Pastrnak to Orlov goal hadn't been called offsides earlier today. That was a close one though!

Yeah, not sure how else to resolve ties though without using something convoluted like standard deviations to tally who won their categories by larger relative margins.

At least I knew heading in to the week I need to take 5, not 4.5, so them's the breaks!

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
You may not like it, but this is what peak championship goaltending looks like:

Good game genki (I think?). If you had used all of your add/drops you definitely could have/would have beaten me, because that was a super tight matchup. My already mediocre goalies all died and I streamed Jonas Johansson, Martin Jones, Mads Sogaard, Magnus Hellberg, and John Gillies this week. A real murderer's row.

If you'll all allow me to brag a little bit....

That's:

- 4 LSL titles
- 3 LSL runner up finishes
- 7 finals appearances in 13 years
- 3 titles in the last 4 years

The secret to LSL is that goalies don't actually matter. I've now won titles with Carter Hart as my best goalie, Mackenzie Blackwood as my best goalie, and Alex Nedeljkovic as my best goalie. In short:

Gobias Ind. posted:

Carter Hart baby, love Carter Hart

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Gobias Ind. posted:

The secret to LSL is that goalies don't actually matter. I've now won titles with Carter Hart as my best goalie, Mackenzie Blackwood as my best goalie, and Alex Nedeljkovic as my best goalie. In short:

I think it shows goalies matter, but just like the Cup playoffs, it's pure voodoo knowing which duo/trio will have solid weeks in late March.

My trio last year to win the LSL was Mike Smith, Ville Husso, and Logan Thompson, all picked up off waivers between December and March.

This year I had Vasilevskiy as my #1, and a rotating cast which included Schmid, Ingram, Kochetkov, and Merzlikins fill in the other slots. Unfortunately Schmid was demoted, Arizona had a brutal schedule of Oilers and Avs games during our semis, and I'd dropped Kochetkov after he was sent to the minors and missed claiming him when he returned by a matter of minutes.

I guess the main takeaway is you're highly unlikely to select a skater off waivers who could reasonably get you two goals or nine shots or what have you, but churning goalies can get you Wins, Saves, and perhaps even Shutouts.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

kalensc posted:

I think it shows goalies matter, but just like the Cup playoffs, it's pure voodoo knowing which duo/trio will have solid weeks in late March.

My trio last year to win the LSL was Mike Smith, Ville Husso, and Logan Thompson, all picked up off waivers between December and March.

This year I had Vasilevskiy as my #1, and a rotating cast which included Schmid, Ingram, Kochetkov, and Merzlikins fill in the other slots. Unfortunately Schmid was demoted, Arizona had a brutal schedule of Oilers and Avs games during our semis, and I'd dropped Kochetkov after he was sent to the minors and missed claiming him when he returned by a matter of minutes.

I guess the main takeaway is you're highly unlikely to select a skater off waivers who could reasonably get you two goals or nine shots or what have you, but churning goalies can get you Wins, Saves, and perhaps even Shutouts.

Sorry, yes, I agree. What I was getting at is that I always avoid the insane LSL goalie rush. Way more valuable imo to get a couple elite skaters while everyone else is grabbing goalies.

I also just remembered that my 3rd round pick this year was Landeskog, who didn't play a second. Not sure how I managed to win this year.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Gobias Ind. posted:

Sorry, yes, I agree. What I was getting at is that I always avoid the insane LSL goalie rush. Way more valuable imo to get a couple elite skaters while everyone else is grabbing goalies.

I also just remembered that my 3rd round pick this year was Landeskog, who didn't play a second. Not sure how I managed to win this year.

I wonder what happens if the semis were re-seeded. I prob still lose vs Yeet cause I just had a really down week, but TBone might have gotten ya.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
the goalie rush in lsl is how i somehow got patrice bergeron in three consecutive drafts

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I feel like I do go harder on goalies and have finished top 4, 10/13 years (2 titles), so you can certainly be successful doing that, but I would agree that you can probably make a better team if you find some underrated goalies and get high end offense.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Man, I was under .500 for most of the year in all 3 leagues so I've been taking a lax approach, and mainly just setting my lineups week-to-week and replacing any injured guys - I just logged in and didn't even realize playoffs came and went, and I actually got 3rd place in HHL :iiam:

edit: actually, not a mystery - that's the team I had McDavid on

genki
Nov 12, 2003

Gobias Ind. posted:

Good game genki (I think?). If you had used all of your add/drops you definitely could have/would have beaten me, because that was a super tight matchup. My already mediocre goalies all died and I streamed Jonas Johansson, Martin Jones, Mads Sogaard, Magnus Hellberg, and John Gillies this week. A real murderer's row.

GG! This is (I believe) the best finish I've had since moving to Japan. I'm not really able to be that active around adds/drops, the combination of timezone and life means I often don't really have a good time to update things (I used to do fantasy things at work during the day, just before the games, my results were much better). Unfortunate that I lost on that one last goalie win, but pretty happy with the season overall!

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Hoppy Easter mes amis

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Is it that time of the offseason where we start talking about the next fantasy season yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
yeah I'll try to make a thread and get invites out uhh "soon"