Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
what was the ui theme thing called gently caress. for like 10.1-4 i think, they were pretty popular for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i wasn't hip enough to have hotline in its prime :(

it owned

also the reason i got into electronic music

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
hotline was great because windows file sharing apps were so, so bad lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
who else had a custom icon banner in the icon pack (this was towards the end of hotline)

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Beeftweeter posted:

what was the ui theme thing called gently caress. for like 10.1-4 i think, they were pretty popular for a while
not sure, but this got me thinking of Aaron, the extension that would fake the Copland UX on System 7 and we could all pretend we were running Barney Carnage under :pcgaming: Bluebox :pcgaming:

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Dijkstracula posted:

Barney Carnage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH7JD5RcNH4

poor barney

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

graph posted:

yes i was a mod on omnimac

man, you've always been a cop

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dijkstracula posted:

any of yall use hotline

it was a sort of bbs / IRC / filesharing protocol with a nice apple look-and-feel graphical client, the best way in 1997 to, I'm told, get Warcraft 2 ISOs and 64khz alexisonfire MP3s

hotline was cool but then they released a windows version and the whole scene went to poo poo almost overnight, it was basically eternal september for 90s mac warez bbses. fortunately some germans released carracho and good boards switched over and kept it going a few more years

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Beeftweeter posted:

shapeshifter?

e: yeah, unsanity's shapeshifter themed early os x. never got a chance to use it, but my favorite was mac os xp

carry on then fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 14, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

carry on then posted:

shapeshifter?

e: yeah, unsanity's shapeshifter themed early os x. never got a chance to use it, but my favorite was mac os xp

YES oh my god that's been bugging me all day lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

brain: probably should get a sandwich. and some mac os themes from 20 years ago

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

fortunately some germans released carracho and good boards switched over and kept it going a few more years

completely forgot about this

but yeah windows hotline loving destroyed it

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

graph posted:

completely forgot about this
same. this thread is making me realize just how much i've forgotten, despite my normal retention of useless software facts

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

graph posted:

looks like it was pulled however long ago. i still have a copy on my work intel macbook if anyone would like it

did a quick search and maybe it's available via brew? i dont have that installed

lmao at using a mac without brew, what’s the point. lol

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
did anyone say adium yet? that sure was a brand

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Gentle Autist posted:

lmao at using a mac without brew, what’s the point. lol

idk, whats on it

Silver Alicorn posted:

i only recently removed the yellow icon from my dock

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

graph posted:

i only recently removed the yellow icon from my dock

nobody tell him

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Silver Alicorn posted:

i liked it, it was so much nicer than pidgin on windows/linux

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

yeah adium was excellent for the freeware versions of that

bnuuy
Oct 17, 2022

the only girl on the internet

graph posted:

does colloquy still work

they still have an iOS app and it works. i still use it for irc

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

bnuuy posted:

they still have an iOS app and it works. i still use it for irc

i finally made the switch to textual when i set up my m1 imac. colloquy used to get hilarious memory leak errors and take my whole previous imac down couple times a year

bnuuy
Oct 17, 2022

the only girl on the internet

graph posted:

i finally made the switch to textual when i set up my m1 imac. colloquy used to get hilarious memory leak errors and take my whole previous imac down couple times a year

loll i’m honestly not shocked the mac app had bugs like that. i never really used it, i’ve firmly been a console irc client user on desktop for years. weechat <3

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i had a hotline server and left it on when leaving for a family vacation and we got a call from the pet sitter saying a letter came from the internet provider telling us to shut it down

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

lol loving hotline jesus

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

graph posted:

idk, whats on it

basically every cli util and most free gui apps

i spend a large proportion of my day in a zsh terminal, it’s how I do computer

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I had an app that would do a mega man style intro for whatever you launched complete with the music and everything. in my 5 seconds of searching this is the best I could find but it was awesome for about 5 minutes, but it turns out adding a 15 second delay to launching things gets pretty tedious

goddamn I loved my PowerBook g4 tho

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I think someone in the old Mac Megathread made that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I had an app that would do a mega man style intro for whatever you launched complete with the music and everything. in my 5 seconds of searching this is the best I could find but it was awesome for about 5 minutes, but it turns out adding a 15 second delay to launching things gets pretty tedious

whats the kb command to turn the stars into pipis