Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
It felt to me that Gene is very close to his sisters and mom, and that's one way he expresses that. He often calls himself a boy as well, so as a character he seems fluid or indifferent to gender stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Genderfluid would be fine. And I have some news about what became of a lot of us theater kids. :-P

But the fact that y'all don't read it the way I do doesn't invalidate my reading, nor my desire for them to poo poo or get off the pot about him being trans of some kind or another.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
They've said that they don't really touch on the ethnicity of the Belchers much because they're meant to represent a broad swathe of working class immigrant families and don't want to pin it down to any one thing and exclude anyone else. I kinda see Gene's sexuality the same way. The kid is definitely something, but he's forever figuring out what because he's eternally 11.

They got no excuse for not giving us more Marshmallow, though. The people demand it!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Nameless Pete posted:

They've said that they don't really touch on the ethnicity of the Belchers much because they're meant to represent a broad swathe of working class immigrant families and don't want to pin it down to any one thing and exclude anyone else. I kinda see Gene's sexuality the same way. The kid is definitely something, but he's forever figuring out what because he's eternally 11.

They got no excuse for not giving us more Marshmallow, though. The people demand it!

Yeah, the context is everything. Delving into the sexuality of gene or louise would be really strange tonally considering the ages..whereas tina is obsessed with butts, being a teen. I don't think the show would shy away from LQBTQ+ representation at all though if they ever decided to go there.

If we're guessing (weird) I could see gene being asexual as an older character

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

We're not talking about his sexuality. We're talking about his gender. Kids have genders.

But even in the case of sexuality, a broad swath of queer folk figured that poo poo out long before 11. Louise is the youngest and we know she's straight and nobody bats an eye at that. It's not sexualizing a child to portray them as being queer. We're just normal-rear end people, same as you. And it's nice to see ourselves in media when we're growing up, and it rarely ever happens.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

LividLiquid posted:

We're not talking about his sexuality. We're talking about his gender. Kids have genders.

But even in the case of sexuality, a broad swath of queer folk figured that poo poo out long before 11. Louise is the youngest and we know she's straight and nobody bats an eye at that. It's not sexualizing a child to portray them as being queer. We're just normal-rear end people, same as you. And it's nice to see ourselves in media when we're growing up, and it rarely ever happens.

I replied to a post that included this verbatim, so I'm a bit confused at your tone here.

Nameless Pete posted:

I kinda see Gene's sexuality the same way.

I don't think anyone is even coming at the idea of representation on TV..maybe take a break from this thread

e: assuming myself and the op i was refering to can't differentiate between gender identity and sexual preference is kinda insulting actually the more i think about it. like what are you actually mad at here

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 20, 2023

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Nameless Pete posted:

I thought they were trying to cast someone just right for Marshmallow's return, instead of having Dave Herman reprise the role.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I thought they were trying to cast someone just right for Marshmallow's return, instead of having Dave Herman reprise the role.

Marshmallow rules and the ep with cha cha and the cab was fun too (https://bobs-burgers.fandom.com/wiki/Sheesh!_Cab,_Bob%3F). This show is one of the few that actually presents everyone as people instead of lame joke setups..it's like wholesome core, probably why I still recommend to people that skipped it for whatever reason 13 seasons in, same as home movies

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/lorenbouchard/status/1658990818068418560

Marshmallow has a new voice actor (an actual trans women now) so I'm guess we'll be seeing her in the next season.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

zer0spunk posted:

I replied to a post that included this verbatim, so I'm a bit confused at your tone here.

I don't think anyone is even coming at the idea of representation on TV..maybe take a break from this thread

e: assuming myself and the op i was refering to can't differentiate between gender identity and sexual preference is kinda insulting actually the more i think about it. like what are you actually mad at here
My tone was stating facts and attempting to enlighten people who still think being queer is inherently sexual, which is an extremely common and dangerous belief.

My post about wanting them to finally let Gene transition or stop joking about it really doesn't warrant argument or your weird hostility.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Nameless Pete posted:

We know that they are not Mediterranean.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
A recent episode of NCIS was on my TV, and Sgt Bosco is the leader of the unit.

Fake E: He brought a sandwich into an active autopsy, yup it's Bosco.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

swickles posted:

We know that they are not Mediterranean.

How was that option eliminated?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

ruddiger posted:

How was that option eliminated?

In Lice Things are Lice, Teddy says "Bob runs hot, its that Mediterranean blood" and Bob says "I'm not Mediterranean"

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/bobs-burgers-hiatus-script-strike/

It says 17 episodes are finished, so if the season is shortened (which seems a given) it won't be by a whole lot.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
Anyone got $1000+ lying around? The cast will sing to you!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I'd pay $1000 to never hear them sing again

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Monster!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
New Season, New Thread. Not even the strikes will keep Bob's rent from being due.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4043126