Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nessus posted:

going beyond the time
waterfowl fly overhead
going beyond the time
all your old classmates are dead

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Arc Hammer posted:

It was a show, take it for all in all, we shall not look upon its like again.

But I wanna

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Arc Hammer posted:

The Kobayashi interview also says that they wrote up detailed backgrounds for all of the Earth House members but they haven't released them to the public. I'd be very interested to read whatever they made up for Nika. Spend your childhood working in a machine shop and then you get a Willy Wonka golden ticket to the richest of the rich kids school. You think she only met Dawn of Fold after her first year? That would he one hell of an awkward summer break to go home, meet the guy who is called your adoptive father and then be sent back to school with a radio to coordinate terrorist bombings.

My impression was that she was always with Dawn of Fold, and that her attendance at Asticassia was arranged by Shaddiq through shell companies, like Sophia and Norea.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Anshu posted:

My impression was that she was always with Dawn of Fold, and that her attendance at Asticassia was arranged by Shaddiq through shell companies, like Sophia and Norea.

Yeah, that was what I thought. Her 'golden ticket' was arranged so she could be in that position.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think arc hammer's idea is that she was given a free ride by shaddiq/dawn of fold/whoever without being told what her real purpose was until she was already in space, effectively entrapping her as their agent against her will

i don't think there is any evidence at all indicating that might be the case, but i don't think there's anything disproving it either. mostly just seems like a concept for keeping nika's hands clean instead of having her naively or morally dubiously accept working for terrorists.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

ninjewtsu posted:

i think arc hammer's idea is that she was given a free ride by shaddiq/dawn of fold/whoever without being told what her real purpose was until she was already in space, effectively entrapping her as their agent against her will

i don't think there is any evidence at all indicating that might be the case, but i don't think there's anything disproving it either. mostly just seems like a concept for keeping nika's hands clean instead of having her naively or morally dubiously accept working for terrorists.

I kinda like the dubiousness of the situation. my interpretation is that she took a shady deal thinking it would be low level info gathering and maybe some theft. turns out she was key to an actual insurgency but was in too deep by that point

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It always read to me more like she was being blackmailed into working for them, I dunno. She wasn't being completely honest with either Suletta or Martin when we get the glimpse of her backstory but considering the full throated enthusiasm by other DOF members compared to her hesitation it seemed more like she jumped at an opportunity handed to her before she was informed of the catch.

Because really given what we see about the state of education on Earth who wouldn't immediately jump at a chance to go to Asticassia or hope they got scooped up by the Grassley academy program?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 22, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it seemed to me more like she took a faustian bargain towards a more noble goal than what sophie and norea wanted, and since the catch reflected poorly on her (despite being at least initially willing to pay it) she really wanted to keep it contained. i'd also be more leaning towards "found out that she misjudged how big a deal the catch was" than "literally tricked and robbed of her agency"

basically i'm saying she's a less self aware shaddiq

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 23, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wish we'd seen a scene between Nika and Naji. Would have definitely been interesting.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

BlitznBurst posted:

I mean, basically the actual decisive moment of the finale is Prospera telling Suletta to use Quiet Zero and Suletta refusing. The episode just mostly centers Suletta's own feelings while we don't really get any insight into Prospera's own thoughts, which I think is fine for the runtime they had.
Like I think the Prospera thing is basically summed up by "I'm greedy." There's no real moral judgement there, it's just what Suletta wants. Meanwhile Delling gets no resolution with Mio because she doesn't give a poo poo about him and the show ends with him getting railed by the quiet zero investigators.

Wasn’t quiet zero hacked and shut down? How could it be used by suletta or eri at all at that point?

At the end of the show, we are shown the school up and running again, but is this really a good thing? The main cast may have mostly fond memories of it, but it is still basically a school where children train to be soldiers or train to maintain weapons of war.

Nebrilos fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 23, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it's a product of a larger system with much bigger problems than can be solved in the scope of a single event or by a handful of individual actors. the school itself isn't good but as far as the military industrial complex continuing to operate and suppress the general populace goes it's pretty small potatos.

miorine's working towards dismantling that system without going shaddiq's route in the epilogue iirc? standard gundam "we solved some big short term problems but the long term problems they sprung from aren't going away any time soon" ending

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 23, 2023

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

is mio still the president

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

As much as we would like, the lesbian beam at the end couldnt dismantle capitalism, only giant space lasers.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The show really needed 3-4 more episodes (or better pacing in S2 / some minor plot trimming).

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Meowywitch posted:

She's the president of Suletta's heart

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Zedd posted:

The show really needed 3-4 more episodes (or better pacing in S2 / some minor plot trimming).

i skipped the last like, fifty pages to quote this and post: yeah. but we all know that

something like 16, 17 eps that are truly incredible, then the rest that are pretty good. and an ending that would have been infinitely better with just a SINGLE SMOOCH

alas. and alack,,

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

it's a product of a larger system with much bigger problems than can be solved in the scope of a single event or by a handful of individual actors. the school itself isn't good but as far as the military industrial complex continuing to operate and suppress the general populace goes it's pretty small potatos.

miorine's working towards dismantling that system without going shaddiq's route in the epilogue iirc? standard gundam "we solved some big short term problems but the long term problems they sprung from aren't going away any time soon" ending

I think the school itself is alright as much as any corporate school can be. The show described three tracks the school is known for: business management (lol, lmao), mechanics (from what I could tell basically an engineering degree with a trades component), and piloting (the closest to "train child soldiers"). The first two are "fine to good," depending on your tolerance for people with MBAs, and the latter does have some nuance--Suletta was explicitly interested in using mobile suits for rescue missions, and the setting itself seems to indicate that mobile suits are also big industrial equipment.

The problems with the school are a nothing burger compared to the social systems in the world. Anyone from Earth is a second class citizen, the solar system and Earth have been divvied up into corporate fiefdoms with designated 'conflict zones.' If you crack the hood, it's very cyberpunk and thus carries all the same baggage with respect to the difficulties of altering the status quo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Meowywitch posted:

President of Gund-Arm, since the Benerit Group is dissolved.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
How long is it normally between the final Japanese BD coming out a US BD release?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Idk but pretty art

https://twitter.com/dalmakhani3/status/1738145193818546191?s=19

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

As much as we would like, the lesbian beam at the end couldnt dismantle capitalism, only giant space lasers.

I think it was more like a lesbian wave.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/MON0EYE/status/1741541515199963156?t=HS15Oe4qFjKWFr0hUQAyUA&s=19

Guel needed one final L for the year and it came with the Michaelis overtaking his ride for gunpla sales.

I'll still continue to laugh at the mountain of michaelis kits I saw in hobby shops but I guess someone ended up buying them.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it's actually a pretty cool robot

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's the GWitch Gyan so that counts for something.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
It's not cool enough in the show to make the model kit feel disappointing in comparison, which is the problem I have with the Darilbalde.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/MON0EYE/status/1741541515199963156?t=HS15Oe4qFjKWFr0hUQAyUA&s=19

Guel needed one final L for the year and it came with the Michaelis overtaking his ride for gunpla sales.

I'll still continue to laugh at the mountain of michaelis kits I saw in hobby shops but I guess someone ended up buying them.

My sister is one of them for my Christmas present. I'm saving up my Aerial for tomorrow to ring in the new year.