Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i didnt even realize typing that but for gently caress's sake that's how Carrot started the book innit, his dad forces him into guard service. i wonder if Pratchett was considering the idea of kinging him and just dropped it later on, rendering Carrot pretty inert imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

great name btw, Carrot.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

cumpantry posted:

i didnt even realize typing that but for gently caress's sake that's how Carrot started the book innit, his dad forces him into guard service. i wonder if Pratchett was considering the idea of kinging him and just dropped it later on, rendering Carrot pretty inert imo

He is a recurring character and it is a thing.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i guess this is my problem with series versus self contained narratives. i don't really feel compelled to read another Pratchett anytime soon but entire arcs could have been realized over the 400something pages that sadly werent

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Sax Solo posted:

This is what makes Pratchett so strange. I have read a couple books, including Guards Guards, and not really been impressed at all, yet some people are SUCH FANS and I can't figure out why. Is this how people who hate MST3K feel?

He covers a *lot* of ground in his work, and the way he writes evolves significantly from beginning to end. There's probably something he's done over the course of 50-odd novels that taps into something you really care about; if we could find it, you'd then understand why people get so passionate about it.

I'm not at all surprised by the "readable but I don't get the hype" reactions; for me, over half of his stuff (including Guards! Guards!) is "sure it's fine but it's not anything I need to read again". And then there's stuff like Jingo, and Monstrous Regiment, and Nation, that are absolutely among my favourite books and things I do go back to again and again. But I'd never expect anyone to react to those the same way I do; the best entry point depends entirely on the reader.

MST3K is actually a really good comparison point: it's such a wide-ranging omnibus that there's always going to be dull ones, and ones everyone else loves and you don't see the point of, and then there's ones (which for me are the likes of Double 007 and The Starfighters and Space Mutiny) which are so good you want to go around quoting them everywhere and they keep you watching the next one, in case that one makes you feel like the others did.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Phrased that way it's like the inverse of the common criticism of people like Malcom Gladwell. Perhaps Pratchett seems simplistic in areas you don't care about, but then skilled and artful in areas you do.

I like that description, that sounds like a good author.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Pratchett has been imitated a lot but he's also extremely British in a way that may not always vibe with American readers. If you look at the annotations linked above a great deal of the stuff he writes isn't just "generic British joke", he's referencing very specific British cultural touchstones that American readers are unlikely to pick up on.

I don't have any trouble enjoying Wodehouse or Jerome K Jerome or Sarah Caudwell or POB or Jasper Fforde or stuff like Sandbaggers or Tolkien for that matter etc etc etc. I mean, I don't know if HHGtG is any less British or any less comic, or that far away from fantasy, but it succeeds in a way Discworld doesn't for me.

I think it's more likely to come down that for my tastes Pratchett is in the end too reserved and too inert. I was drawn in with stuff like oo luggage, oo orangutan librarian, but in the end I find the writing and the ideas and the humor underwhelming. I have a friend who REAALLY REALLY loves them -- I think generally I like people who like Pratchett -- but for me they got no pizazz.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The other thing with Pratchett is that lots of people had tried to write comic fantasy and the only remote prior successes were parts of Robert Asprin's Myth series and national lampoon's Bored of the Rings. (Of "dildo and frito bugger" fame).

It's harder than it looks to write light comedy that also genuinely works as a fantasy novel and maybe even has a theme and a point and character development. It *looks* easy if its done right, like Wodehouse, but so does ballet.

You forgot Poland Xanth. Moving a little away from high fantasy but still in the realm of fantasy, Oz and Dr Suess seem to do okay. Perhaps maybe people just don't know how to jump actually outside of the high part of high fantasy and they get locked in a kind of crass easy parody mode.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Sax Solo posted:

You forgot Poland Xanth.

*sucks in breath*

Careful thread! Don't make me reset the sign to zero again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

thought it'd be longer since i'd go for another pratchett but when i dropped off guards! guards! i left the library with wyrd sisters. maybe 150 pages later and im enjoying it much more. i like the macbeth regicide ghost deal and the three sisters themselves a lot more than the poor police procedural and limp end from guaguards. humor seems more subdued which is scary since it came before ggguuuaarrddss