Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Nenonen posted:

As an off-topic example of how it can affect politics... ramadan is also the reason why Lebanon is in even more chaos than usually. The prime minister announced that the switch to summer time should happen a month later so people don't have to wait an hour longer for sunset. Now the nation is running on two times for a month.

They rescinded that, but yeah pretty dumb to try and legislate changing the way Earth tilts on its axis and rotates around the sun. Sure you can move the clock an hour earlier, but... then you also move fajr an hour earlier, and you're fasting the exact same amount of time.

Also back on topic-ish, as far as I can tell for Turkey the general quorum for parliament is 200 (1/3rd). The AKP has 295 parliamentarians by itself, but I don't see a breakdown of who was actually there for yesterday's vote or if there was any significance that it was voted so late in the night or if the low attendance was relevant of anything besides it being late, during Ramadan, and on an issue that had a predetermined outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Nenonen posted:

It's also ramadan so it could be that some old conservatives who take the fast seriously don't want to wait to the night to get back to their family and have dinner. Maybe.

As an off-topic example of how it can affect politics... ramadan is also the reason why Lebanon is in even more chaos than usually. The prime minister announced that the switch to summer time should happen a month later so people don't have to wait an hour longer for sunset. Now the nation is running on two times for a month.

It's very interesting to me that changing the official time did anything, the Muslims I know are fairly strict about fasting to the literal sun up/sun down so it's a massive pain in the rear end when Ramadan is in the summer. There actually need to be special exceptions for places at high latitudes:

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/07/how-to-fast-for-ramadan-in-the-arctic-where-the-sun-doesnt-set/277834/

For more on topic posting, saw this tweet:
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1641734510302703616?cxt=HHwWgMC94de1zsgtAAAA

Guess Lukashenko did a speech about missiles in Belarus:
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/belarus-lukashenko-says-russian-nuclear-arms-needed-deter-threats-west-2023-03-31/

Deep in Kremlin talking points as expected, wonder who the intended consumer is.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Lol, if true.

Hungary named an unfriendly country.

https://news.yahoo.com/russia-puts-hungary-unfriendly-countries-123500975.html

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

WarpedLichen posted:

Deep in Kremlin talking points as expected, wonder who the intended consumer is.

It's Putin/Russian establishment, as is pretty much the long-established fare for Belarus foreign policy/grand proclamations.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Hungary has been an unfriendly country since the beginning of the war since all EU members are on that list. I don’t know why yahoo news claims this happened recently.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Honj Steak posted:

Hungary has been an unfriendly country since the beginning of the war since all EU members are on that list. I don’t know why yahoo news claims this happened recently.

It's a case of a bad editorialization. There's a recent interview with Russia's ambassador, where he opines as to why Hungary is considered an “unfriendly country”. This spawned subsequent smaller articles like ”A diplomat has commented on Hungary's inclusion into the list of unfriendly countries”, and I think the Ukrainian journalist quoted by Yahoo, who is simply syndicating content from a partner publisher on this occasion, did just (reasonably, but unprofessionally) take this as a gotcha relative to how Hungary has treated Ukraine so far. As far as Russian legislation is concerned, Hungary has been an “unfriendly country” since the 5th of March 2022.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

That's completely meaningless anyway. The current constitution allows him to "legally" be president until 2035, as he can be elected again in 2025 ("first term under new constitution") and 2030 ("one re-election allowed under the constitution"). So even if he kept his word, he would only be out of power in summer 2035, just after his 82nd birthday. He would only be a sprightly, middle aged dictator by then, so I imagine the people will demand an exception be made to this strong figure of the fatherland, and he will need to extend it again by one or two times.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Saladman posted:

That's completely meaningless anyway. The current constitution allows him to "legally" be president until 2035, as he can be elected again in 2025 ("first term under new constitution") and 2030 ("one re-election allowed under the constitution"). So even if he kept his word, he would only be out of power in summer 2035, just after his 82nd birthday. He would only be a sprightly, middle aged dictator by then, so I imagine the people will demand an exception be made to this strong figure of the fatherland, and he will need to extend it again by one or two times.

That or he intends to retire when Russia annexes Belarus at some point this decade, as was apparently the plan.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

WarpedLichen posted:

What you presented here was that you had an idea of what the "floor" of quality in this thread should be. It feels like you're treating the the thread posters as a disappointed teacher would. The thread is unfortunately not as insightful and deep as it could be (because come on, we're just a bunch of assholes on a dead website) and it is your burden as a mod to raise the quality. It is a patronizing and elitist attitude to have, and in your position as a volunteer forum mod on the internet, it's probably not entirely wrong, but I think it sends the wrong message. People shouldn't be afraid to :justpost: for fear of lowering thread quality.

I'm going to disagree with (some of) this, not necessarily on your idea of how moderation should communicate , but what moderation should aspire to do.

There's a diverse group of people on this forum with very interesting backgrounds and experiences. There are a lot of people who don't post often, but when they do, wow, the quality is there. There's been some great examples of that in this thread.

One of my favourite sources of information is AskHistorians on Reddit, which has far stricter moderation policies than here, and a far higher quality of information. Stuffing whatever information you come across into your brain will have exactly the same effect as stuffing your face with McDonalds every day. Quality matters.

People shoudn't be afraid to post, and there's a good balance to be had with moderation where people should feel able to ask questions and be able to test their opinions. However people just spurting out opinions because they're an intelligent person with a pulse is, IMO, a plague on society. Just because someone is intelligent, that doesn't mean they have the experience and depth of knowledge to judge and understand a situation.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:siren: Closing the feedback session :siren:, as my weekend plans just got cratered and I want to get the updated OP out of my way today. If there's more feedback, please PM it to me, or just post it here if you don't have the PMs. Just say it then in your post that you're posting this as you don't have PMs, rather than to cause a further a conversation.

Overall, I think the feedback session has been a resounding success, and I'll be implementing the following changes based on it:
  • Refresh of the rules, coalescing/dropping some older stuff. We may need to then return some old rules if they prove still salient, but let's try a blank slate here;
  • Inclusion of a posting style guide for links;
  • New OP, focused on readability;
  • More clear probation reasons.
Things that didn't make the cut, of notable, is clemency to unfunny joke posts. Please be funny, or attach your jokes to normal posts.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Saladman posted:

And beyond this, all Dictators say this kind of thing on a regular basis, promising that this is their last term, and they really will stand down at the end of it.

He really means it this time. Honest.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:siren: New OP is live. :siren:

I'm not excluding that it'll get tested by the more adventurous goons, so please give it a few weeks to settle down.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 31, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:siren: New OP is live. :siren:

I'm not excluding that it'll get tested by the more adventurous goons, so please give it a few weeks to settle down.

Serious question; why not just start a new thread with the new OP and link the old one from it? Start fresh.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Serious question; why not just start a new thread with the new OP and link the old one from it? Start fresh.

Doesn't feel particularly old, but we can do a quick vote on if people just want a clean space reset for this. I'm ambivalent, and happy to accommodate this, as threads are free to make.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ok let's just do it, I think this is a good idea. Give me a few minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

New thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4028717