Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

You share the "sausages" with your brother and father so you each get two. You cut them in half length wise and you put 4 half sausage on a piece of bread and miracle whip.

Serves 2 to 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a sexual elk posted:

Barf, Miracle Whip

this is a cheap recipe but the prep is awful

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

3 wholemeal loaves
1/2 lb. margarine
1/2 lb. dripping
1 lb. cheese
1 lb. onions
1 lb. carrots
1 lb. broken biscuits
2 lb. dates
1 tin evaporated milk
10 oranges

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The Voice of Labor posted:

3 wholemeal loaves
1/2 lb. margarine
1/2 lb. dripping
1 lb. cheese
1 lb. onions
1 lb. carrots
1 lb. broken biscuits
2 lb. dates
1 tin evaporated milk
10 oranges

boooooo

----------------

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

can I have you dates then?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Figured out that the yellow rice or whatever in the bag is good, but pricey for no reason. I do 3 rice cooker cups of rice, 2 tablespoons of oil, a teaspoon of salt, and one of those Sazón con Achiote seasoning packets from Goya. Add water to the 3 cup line in the rice cooker, and hit start. It’s a really easy side dish and way cheaper than the stuff that’s pre packaged.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

One can Hormel no beans chili and one box kraft mac and cheese. Velveeta if you're celebrating.

Calorie dense, cheap and filling. Perfect for when you gotta make it to the end of the month.

I would get free produce from the church nearby. Sometimes I could get celery and bell pepper. I always had onion. Dice it all up and add a can of tuna and a can of black beans and make "human chow" which is actually a totally serviceable tuna and bean salad.

Cabbage and potatos. I lived on nothing but for awhile.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Poohs Packin posted:

One can Hormel no beans chili and one box kraft mac and cheese. Velveeta if you're celebrating.

Calorie dense, cheap and filling. Perfect for when you gotta make it to the end of the month.

I would get free produce from the church nearby. Sometimes I could get celery and bell pepper. I always had onion. Dice it all up and add a can of tuna and a can of black beans and make "human chow" which is actually a totally serviceable tuna and bean salad.

Cabbage and potatos. I lived on nothing but for awhile.

Back when I used to work charity drives, we always always had an over obundance of baked goods. Stores have to get rid of them, and they don't have to be refrigerated. The social workers would just take the extra home. There were so many croissants/loaves of specialty breads/jelly rolls you could eat without weighing 300 pounds, so they would use them as ingredients in other recipes, sometimes taking them apart to build other pastries.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Working in restaurants I could sometimes supplement the amount of food I was getting which would help me buy less. Especially once I got serious and started working nicer places. By then though I rarely needed the feed.

One time I was working short order and barely making rent at a sandwich place and I got fuckin told on by the high and mighty crust punk turned sober chick who thought it was unfair that kitchen staff would eat on shift. Fuckin trustafarians.

Like thanks guess I'll go donate loving plasma and blow my weekend being exhausted because you don't think I deserve a hot meal on an 11 hour shift.

Eventually I got in with a good chef that appreciated my ethic and would send me home with food. Sure as hell learned to stretch that dollar though.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i stole so much sesame oil from a resort i worked at

----------------

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
If you don't eat the food getting tossed out you don't really work there

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/10e1f704-04cf-4a37-a2be-ed1d91be5e7e

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Buttered rice.

Sugar sandwiches.

Also at one point, go to sleep for dinner. That was fun.

Not that my parents were poor. They lived upper middle class. They just stopped filling the fridge with any food for about four months because they were pissy at each other and stopped caring about anything but themselves individually.

My brother lost something like thirty pounds in four months because all there was in the fridge at one point were condiments. He didn't really have that weight to spare either. I was food insecure as well, but he had it harder than me.

My parents ate just fine by the way during those four months btw. They just ate out constantly while me and my brother starved.

Turns out that wealth doesn't really translate between parents and children during periods of what was probably criminal levels of neglect.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Ice Phisherman posted:

Buttered rice.

Sugar sandwiches.

Also at one point, go to sleep for dinner. That was fun.

Not that my parents were poor. They lived upper middle class. They just stopped filling the fridge with any food for about four months because they were pissy at each other and stopped caring about anything but themselves individually.

My brother lost something like thirty pounds in four months because all there was in the fridge at one point were condiments. He didn't really have that weight to spare either. I was food insecure as well, but he had it harder than me.

My parents ate just fine by the way during those four months btw. They just ate out constantly while me and my brother starved.

Turns out that wealth doesn't really translate between parents and children during periods of what was probably criminal levels of neglect.

My parents wouldn't buy food for my brother or myself either. They could not be loving bothered, plus it was less money to spend on themselves. In high school sometimes I'd have a pop tart for breakfast and save the other one for lunch. We'd have family dinners but I never remember having breakfast or school lunches in high school.

Come join us in the estranged parents thread, if you haven't seen it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3893726

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
my mom spent all the money on christian self help books. lmao rip.

----------------

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

ghetto esquites with frozen corn, mayo, that lovely fake parmesan with a shake of tajín and some black pepper

i do it up proper now when i can as an adult with cotija cheese and fresh corn in the summer still love the poverty version

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

something about that sawdust parmesan just tastes right on a lot of stuff. pizzas, elotes/esquites, chicken parmesan. I spend too much money on good cheese but I always keep a kraft shaker around

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Kraft blue box, 2 slices Kraft cheese, couple shakes of Kraft saw dust parm, when kids want Mac.

----------------

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

a sexual elk posted:

Kraft blue box, 2 slices Kraft cheese, couple shakes of Kraft saw dust parm, when kids want Mac.

this, but I throw in some diced onion and cayenne pepper instead of of adding extra cheese

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

enough takeout pizza from a place that's generous with packets and you've got yourself enough parmesan for an alfredo

----------------

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

pandy fackler posted:

ghetto esquites with frozen corn, mayo, that lovely fake parmesan with a shake of tajín and some black pepper

i do it up proper now when i can as an adult with cotija cheese and fresh corn in the summer still love the poverty version

i think the ghetto version is superior somehow. i do this also

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

3 wholemeal loaves
1/2 lb. margarine
1/2 lb. dripping
1 lb. cheese
1 lb. onions
1 lb. carrots
1 lb. broken biscuits
2 lb. dates
1 tin evaporated milk
10 oranges
No thanks!

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

3 wholemeal loaves
1/2 lb. margarine
1/2 lb. dripping
1 lb. cheese
1 lb. onions
1 lb. carrots
1 lb. broken biscuits
2 lb. dates
1 tin evaporated milk
10 oranges

:dogbutton:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

forums that don't like george orwell; cspam, cholesterol clubhouse

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

forums that don't like george orwell; cspam, cholesterol clubhouse

lol

----------------

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
quick tip for anybody with a baby courtesy of my parents: you can save money by not buying those little jars of food, your babby can get all the nutrients they need from blended up canned veggies

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

What's your slumgullion recipes, I made this one tonight:

Tomato cans(28oz): 2 sauce, 1 crushed, 1 diced
3 lbs ground turkey
2 onions
2 green bell peppers
4 celery stalks
4 cloves of garlic
Half cup or so of chicken broth
Box of elbow noodles
Olive oil, salt, pepper

Chop vegetables. Heat oil in large pot on medium, saute peppers and celery briefly, add onion and cook until soft, add garlic and cook for a few minutes. Remove vegetables, add a little oil. Add meat to pot, brown, flip, brown, chop into chunks. Add broth and scrape bottom of pot thoroughly. Add tomato, salt, pepper and stir in sauteed vegetables. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for at least an hour(I let it go for 2 hours on low heat), stir occasionally, boil noodles to have with it. This recipe makes enough slumgullion for at least two boxes of macaroni. Parmesan is a nice addition if you have it.

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I grew up on chef boyardee mini bites, puritan beef stew and tuna casserole (my most hated of all dishes) and I am so grateful to now have a life where I don’t have to worry about what food costs. I literally eat caviar now, but it’s been harder to get the good stuff because of the war :(

----------------

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
I vary the ground meat type, how much tomato, and what kind of pasta in my midwest goulash recipe a lot, but the constants are:

- it's always baked pretty hot so the macaroni/whatever gets cooked a bit firmer than al dente so it doesn't turn to mush in the oven
- it gets a good top layer of fontina and parmesan
- pretty heavy on the garlic
- mushrooms, lots of mushrooms. And one green thing, usually canned artichoke hearts but precooked and chopped escarole or whatever works too.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Poohs Packin posted:

Working in restaurants I could sometimes supplement the amount of food I was getting which would help me buy less. Especially once I got serious and started working nicer places. By then though I rarely needed the feed.

One time I was working short order and barely making rent at a sandwich place and I got fuckin told on by the high and mighty crust punk turned sober chick who thought it was unfair that kitchen staff would eat on shift. Fuckin trustafarians.

Like thanks guess I'll go donate loving plasma and blow my weekend being exhausted because you don't think I deserve a hot meal on an 11 hour shift.

Eventually I got in with a good chef that appreciated my ethic and would send me home with food. Sure as hell learned to stretch that dollar though.

My early low point was working Quizno's and sneaking the ends of bread loaves out the back door while donating plasma on the weekends. I stopped donating plasma pretty early on that gambit though, on the cycle where the re-pump you with blood the needled slipped out of my vein and gave me a big bloodfilled goose-egg on my arm. The machine kept beeping but nobody came near enough to hear it or for me to signal at them, very good time!!!! Took 4 weeks for the blood-lump/bruise to level out and reabsorb.

I do miss the Quizno's bread leavings, though.

----------------
ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

My early low point was working Quizno's and sneaking the ends of bread loaves out the back door while donating plasma on the weekends. I stopped donating plasma pretty early on that gambit though, on the cycle where the re-pump you with blood the needled slipped out of my vein and gave me a big bloodfilled goose-egg on my arm. The machine kept beeping but nobody came near enough to hear it or for me to signal at them, very good time!!!! Took 4 weeks for the blood-lump/bruise to level out and reabsorb.

I do miss the Quizno's bread leavings, though.

I just gave platelets today, at the local university hospital. $40 gift card for groceries and there's one nurse and their attendant that is only responsible for two people, which the both of them watch like a hawk.

Much better than the red cross which just gives you a pat on the head, some snacks, and a chance to win a prize. A sweepstakes is basically worthless to me, given my luck.