Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot
https://www.reddit.com/r/Yabanverse/

I wasted five years of my life obsessing about a Dragon Ball Z ripoff story that can only be created through the power of artificial intelligence, and I have zero regrets because holy poo poo, it's actually a thing now because neural networks did the thing and got better.

Gist of the entire thing:

Yabanverse: Kind of Warhammer 40k again, but not really, with NOT!Saiyans and NOT!Imperium to boot

Little Miss Savage: Slice of life story largely. A Legally-Not-Saiyan girl winds up on Earth (Our Earth, with liberties taken), hilariously, explosively out of place. For whatever reason, the one I'm more interested in because of how absurd it is.

:nws:https://i.imgur.com/JJCJ8NW.jpg:nws:
(Art by David Haire)

Figured I could extract some Goon sardonicism to help flesh out some of the verse and have even more fun with it, because something this blatant can't possibly be a commercial entity when so much of it relies on ripoffs and expies.
Almost entirely a worldbuilding project, which is shorthand for "Creating a lot of facts and names to get around writing any story"
Still pretty fun, though. And the fact that AI helped me come up with a bunch of stuff shows the promise of the technology.

Like take the history of Planet Suiza here: https://imgur.com/gallery/VqikKl4#i4Wmox0
Give it a few more years and who knows what AI will be able to do with this.

Just wanted to share this with these forums out of a fleeting hope even one goon would be intrigued.
If this isn't allowed, lock this bitch and memory hole everything.

Yuli Ban fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

boobies

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Goku is really good at karate

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Just take the prescribed meds and see if those around you say they are helping. Don't trust yourself.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Looks like it has something to do with catgirls?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

istewart posted:

Looks like it has something to do with catgirls?

William Henry Hairytaint played a catboy in Final Fantasy 14

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot

Wendigee posted:

Just take the prescribed meds and see if those around you say they are helping. Don't trust yourself.

Oh it's much too late for that.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

It's never too late, Ye.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

I clicked the first thread on the Reddit page

Flowers for QAnon fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 18, 2022

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Wait, AI can do sequential art?

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

The title

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

kamehameha

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot

My whole life was leading up to typing that title too. Glad to know I've peaked long before today.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Whelp.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
Im glad whatever weird poo poo this is makes you happy OP :)

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot

dsf posted:

Im glad whatever weird poo poo this is makes you happy OP :)
I actually do enjoy making this, but truth be told, the scariest part about the whole project is that this is going to be seen as quaint in due time once more people get access to proc-gen neural networks.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Planet Suiza, huh?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Well, on the plus side it can't be any worse than actual Dragon Ball Z

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
You have a yabansona don't you OP

Let's see it

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot

Devils Affricate posted:

You have a yabansona don't you OP

Let's see it

I ought to make one, just to gently caress with some heads (my own)

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot
Well I'm bored, I could use another round of collective befuddlement.

This is all background stuff, and I don't know if I'll ever do anything with it since I'm mostly focused on the slice-of-life story "Little Miss Savage," but I've been fleshing out this group called the Rongo shogunate, which are essentially a wuxia/bushidō Imperium of Man with a dash of Planet of the Apes.

The Rongo's a human supremacist group, but they do employ this faction called the Simia Legionis

These are literally "war apes" used by the otherwise human-supremacist Shogunate for purposes of truly bestial war.

Yabans, aka Legally-Not-Saiyans, not being allowed in the Rongo Shogunate makes this even funnier.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is this some kind of NFT thing?

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot

Extra Large Marge posted:

Is this some kind of NFT thing?

Nope.

Right click all the apes.

In all seriousness, back in 2017 I had an epiphany that AI was going to upend the entertainment industry and that synthetic media would allow for the creation of "bedroom multimedia franchises" where a single person could use AI to create text, video, audio, images, games, etc. on their computer with minimal effort and this was almost certainly going to happen in under a decade. Around that same time, I had this idea of a Dragon Ball Z fanfic where a Saiyan came to Earth and wondered how that would actually play out (realistically I mean), then got too obsessed with worldbuilding and realized "I should create my own Saiyans, with blackjack and hookers" and THEN realized "Wait a minute.... I could totally use AI to make this Not-Saiyan story of mine into a franchise."

But why? Because.

Right on schedule, the procedural generation technologies I've been predicting started arriving, and I've been exploiting them.

Edit: To prove I'm not bullshitting: https://www.reddit.com/r/artificial/comments/7lwrep/media_synthesis_and_personalized_content_my/

So if anything, my predictions were actually a bit too conservative. And I definitely didn't see the rise of diffusion models; I seriously thought GANs were how we were gonna do all this

Yuli Ban fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 20, 2022

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
So is AI only for concept art, or can you actually make a series images coherent enough to be a comic page? Or even two different shots of the same space?

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot

Das Boo posted:

So is AI only for concept art, or can you actually make a series images coherent enough to be a comic page? Or even two different shots of the same space?

I use it for concept art mostly, but from what I've seen, you actually can create a series of images if you prompt things well enough. Especially if you use this thing called "DreamBooth" where you can train Stable Diffusion on certain concepts and characters. It's still pretty early in development, but the fact we're here at all is a very good sign.

But even better than that is text-to-video. Check this poo poo out: https://phenaki.video/

Or if you don't want to click:

2 minute video
This 2-minute story was generated using a long sequence of prompts, on an older version of the model

Prompts used:
Lots of traffic in futuristic city. An alien spaceship arrives to the futuristic city. The camera gets inside the alien spaceship. The camera moves forward until showing an astronaut in the blue room. The astronaut is typing in the keyboard. The camera moves away from the astronaut. The astronaut leaves the keyboard and walks to the left. The astronaut leaves the keyboard and walks away. The camera moves beyond the astronaut and looks at the screen. The screen behind the astronaut displays fish swimming in the sea. Crash zoom into the blue fish. We follow the blue fish as it swims in the dark ocean. The camera points up to the sky through the water. The ocean and the coastline of a futuristic city. Crash zoom towards a futuristic skyscraper. The camera zooms into one of the many windows. We are in an office room with empty desks. A lion runs on top of the office desks. The camera zooms into the lion's face, inside the office. Zoom out to the lion wearing a dark suit in an office room. The lion wearing looks at the camera and smiles. The camera zooms out slowly to the skyscraper exterior. Timelapse of sunset in the modern city

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

buddy i regret to tell you that not only is the content of your fantasy jerkoff material pretty psychotic seeming, the way you present information and the bits of your worldview/perception that are conveyed while you do it suggest that you are really loving crazy

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot
Well that's a given. No one mentally sane would do any of this.

But hey, it's a fun time waster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yuli Ban posted:

In all seriousness, back in 2017 I had an epiphany that AI was going to upend the entertainment industry and that synthetic media would allow for the creation of "bedroom multimedia franchises" where a single person could use AI to create text, video, audio, images, games, etc. on their computer with minimal effort and this was almost certainly going to happen in under a decade. Around that same time, I had this idea of a Dragon Ball Z fanfic where a Saiyan came to Earth and wondered how that would actually play out (realistically I mean), then got too obsessed with worldbuilding and realized "I should create my own Saiyans, with blackjack and hookers" and THEN realized "Wait a minute.... I could totally use AI to make this Not-Saiyan story of mine into a franchise."

I think this is the same kind of idea as people who thought procedural generation would make it so that nobody would ever need to actually design a level again, they'd just play an infinite number of Mario levels. But it turns out that it's not a substitute for a thinking person thoughtfully building something. An AI will only surprise you with something because of how little sense it makes, rather than it being a thoughtful, built-up reveal.