Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

nvrgrls posted:

The sniper gets to decide what vegetable I plant this spring:

https://www.rareseeds.com/squash-winter-gete-okosomin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

my so planted several of these bulbs last fall and they smell terpy like weed lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

spinach has sprouted, shall be eating delicious greens in 6 weeks :letsgo:

dont remember asking

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
here are some cactus I grow

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

would accidentally poke myself on those and then get irrationally mad at the cactus for it

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

mediaphage posted:

my so planted several of these bulbs last fall and they smell terpy like weed lol

what is it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

polyester concept posted:

would accidentally poke myself on those and then get irrationally mad at the cactus for it

yeah I defo wear gloves but that main one well gloves don’t faze it it just pokes thru em

those are peruvian torches and some are san pedro. word on street is that peruvian torches are closer to peyote than san pedro if you were to make soup

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

‘crown imperial’ fritillaria

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

anyone growing weed?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

fart simpson posted:

anyone growing weed?

/

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jenny Agutter posted:

/

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

fart simpson posted:

anyone growing weed?

I got dandelions all over my yard

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fart simpson posted:

anyone growing weed?

my mint wont die -_-

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

we're starting to plant our garden. got some tomatoes and brussels sprouts and a kale plant that survived the winter and a basil and a few other things. i bought some drip irrigation stuff that i'm gonna start putting in tomorrow.

we're also getting chickens. finished moving it this morning so it's 10 feet from the fence like it's supposed to be.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I should probably go cut those peonies before it rains. Ehh I'll do it in the morning I'll be up early.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
strange looking weed

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

planted beans this weekend

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

nice. what kind of bean we talking here?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i let a big patch of raspberries grow wild on our lawn, hoping we can get some berries this year. the old canes put out a lot of flowers, but i’ve still got to kill off a lot of thistle, common buckthorn, and a few other weeds. plus water since it’s been a drat month without significant rain.

the raspberries are interspersed with lots of heart-leaved aster (or possibly a similar related species). they’re pretty weedy and have spread everywhere, but the bees go fuckin wild over them come autumn so i’m all for it.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

climbing French beans, although while looking that up I read a lot of reviews that these are not great beans for eating oops. maybe I’ll pull them up and try something else

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jenny Agutter posted:

climbing French beans, although while looking that up I read a lot of reviews that these are not great beans for eating oops. maybe I’ll pull them up and try something else

you can saute these with potatoes and season with classic indian spices (cumin, coriander, chili powder, and tumeric) for a quick veggie dish

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/french-bean-recipe-indian-recipe-with-french-beans-potatoes/

something like this

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

:tipshat: these are the sorts of gardening/culinary tips I come to yospos for

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
im renovating my house, and im moving my plants so much that i think some of them arent going to survive

they're now all on the balcony while the walls and windowsills are being redone

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

blackberry harvest continues with todays harvest. honestly very surprised / pleased with how many fruits we're getting off of one vine

also the naranjilla is entirely out of control

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

mediaphage posted:

also the naranjilla is entirely out of control

will this bear fruit any time soon? or are you growing this for something else than the fruit?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

EricBauman posted:

will this bear fruit any time soon? or are you growing this for something else than the fruit?

i've gotten fruit off of it before, but the outdoor growing season here generally isn't conducive unfortunately. it's got some blossoms forming but given that it's already into august, i'll try and pollinate by hand when they open and we'll see if we can get a fruit in the garage (but they'll grow for a few months themselves so it'll be well into next year before they get picked).

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

neat.

i'm slowly expanding my natives collection. just put in some wild geranium and virginia bluebells, which are dormant now so they won't pop up till next year.

the couple blazing stars i put up are doing pretty good, but got blown over by a storm

you can also see a canada black snakeroot on the right side (the plant with all the burs), and a ton of the white arrow-leaved aster/heart-leaved aster/etc. i suspect they may be closer to the white arrow-leaved asters since they seem to tolerate sun ok. also a white wild indigo in the bottom right, still really tiny.

going to try and propagate the snakeroot, looks like you can't really buy seeds anywhere. a common plant from what i can tell, but i can add it to the natives collection under my trees.

i'm also going to try and plant a big row of american hazelnut. it's a bit unruly but it'll produce small hazelnuts on relatively short shrubs, plus has some nice looking fall foliage.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

our front yard garden is completely out of control. the lambs ears are incredibly dense. the smoke bushes are eight and six feet tall. tje zebra grass is spreading and popping up through the lambs ears. the only thing this garden can't defeat is all these goddamn weeds everywhere

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Cat Face Joe posted:

the smoke bushes

weed nicknames are getting out of control

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

my wife vetoed the climbing french beans so we dug them out and planted a bunch of bush beans and, they're great, and prolific. also our tamoto plants are huge and giving several beefsteak tomatoes, which are also very good. the green onions are great but there aren't many left. haven't tried a "hot thai hybrid" chili yet, they're supposed to turn red but they're looking pretty big already so not sure what to do there.

this is all being done on a tiny third story balcony in containers, living in the midwest is cool lol

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I used the Thai chilis in a curry last night, they’re just fine but it’s cool to use homegrown stuff

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

it’s cool to use homegrown stuff

yessss

made a pizza with my own tomatoes. i milled the flour but didn't grow it. gonna make some cheese next. can't decide if i want to cure my own pepperoni or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

mediaphage posted:

yessss

made a pizza with my own tomatoes. i milled the flour but didn't grow it. gonna make some cheese next. can't decide if i want to cure my own pepperoni or not

I’ve done pepperoni before and decided the time investment to get really good pepperoni wasn’t going to be worth it.

But then Salumi stopped selling their spicy pepperoni so maybe I should give it another go.