Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
September update.

Turbinosamente posted:

Financial

Overall: hoard money to buy a house.

• Add 13k to my savings.
On pace with $250 a week. Technically down $50 because of an ebay/paypal snafu but whatever I'm not worried because of the extra money I put in the past couple of months.

• Curb my bullshit spending on collectibles.
I ebayed one collectible and since ebay is making it a pain to use their site I think I'll have a much easier time staying the gently caress off of it. Without getting into details the aforementioned snafu was paypal yanking money from the wrong spot, something I haven't had happen in years, and really soured things for me. In brighter news I got back onto tracking my spending this month and have rough idea of how much I spent on extraneous stuff this month.

• Get a raise next October.
Got a random raise out of nowhere on my start date so ???? Work is slow and I don't have great leverage to beg for another raise next month so I'll say this is done and try again around my start date next year. This assumes I haven't had to deploy an exit strategy as I am losing faith in the health of my company. You probably saw me posting in the careers thread trying to scrape a contingency plan together.

Personal

• Get to bed on time, bitch.
Actually doing better, got thrown off by a vacation but I only remember one other insomnia at 2 am incident this month.

• No new craft projects or mediums.
12 projects completed. Got a bunch of poo poo that needs finishing, the usual here.

• Buy no more than 5 video games.
5/5 purchased. Nothing new here is good.

• Beat 5 games, read 5 books, watch 5 DVDs.
3/5 games.
5/5 9/10 books.
4/5 DVDs.

Nothing new really in my media consumption goals above, I may have to give up on my 5/5/5 plan and get specific next year.

• Games experienced.
8 video games tried.

• Keep decluttering.
Slow and steady. Selling some of the last items as I slowly use things up and brace myself to face my collections, and begin to weed those out. I don't want to have so many collections boxed up in storage, but I don't have display space either, so something's gotta go.

• Play more bass.
Lol and lmao.

• Cook more often/ find new recipes.
Lol, unless you count melting chocolate and pouring it into molds.

Welp my alluded to life change and e/n drama last month didn't pan out (I thought I might be moving out finally) so things are mostly status quo for me yet again. Is it bad that I've already begun devising next year's goals? Because boy is there some poo poo I want to do differently come January first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

September Update

2023 Financial Goals
  • Annual budget reassessment
  • Max backdoor Roth IRAs
  • Max HSA On track
  • Meet company match on 401k Stretch goal: Max 401k On track
  • 50/month into kids' 529s On track
  • Use my company's life insurance benefit for free estate planning to actually estate plan Have documents drafted by a lawyer. Need to review and sign.
  • Furnish the basement. Stay under 20k all in 13k total

2023 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books (Stretch goal: 1 in Spanish) 21 of 16 read
  • Exercise 100 times 78 of 100
  • Use all of my vacation 124 of 200 hours (+ 1 sick day and 1 condolence day that I'm not including as "vacation")
  • Reduce unfinished game list by an amount that makes me feel happy. Removed 6 more games.
  • Take the kids one place new every month The Big Bounce America was in town, so we went. The day had perfect weather, and it wasn't too crowded. We had a blast! We also took our kids to a roller derby because an old friend from college had joined a team. That was not fun for the kids (or me, really).

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

End of September Update

2023 Financial Goals

1. Get veterinary fund back to $3000 - $2247 of $3,000
2. Contribute full amount to 401(k) - Set on auto
3. Set aside money for Roth IRA for 2024 - $950 of $1,500
4. Help Mr. Pipistrelle set up an IRA - This is way overdue
5. Repay myself - Done
6. Contribute full amount to IRA - Done
7. Sell old company stock - Done
8. Rollover old 401(k)s and HSAs - Done
9. Stretch: Extra house payment - Striking this one, doesn’t make sense at this time

2023 Personal Goals
1. Find a new primary doctor - Done
2. Yoga at least x2 a week - lol nope
3. Cut down on eating out - Went on a vacation and didn’t budget very well… ended up completely blowing my eating out budget. Maybe next month
4. Read 15 books - 17 of 15

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
September Update

What a complete mess of a month. I accomplished absolutely nothing, and I'm only posting to hold myself accountable.

Financial

- $8,000 new apartment
Crossing this out. I moved, and I'm here, and that's all. :toot:

- $5,000 travel $0 to go :toot: (topped it off from the bills account surplus)
- $20,000 emergency $5,912.66 to go Making progress, but I don't know if I'm going to make it to $20k by the end of the year
- $5,000 bills $-267.23 to go :toot:

Personal (habits)

- get out of bed before 10am at least six days a week
Still going strong, to the point that it's not even anything I actively think about anymore. :sun:

- walk at least one mile a day at least six days a week
Nope.

- limit five takeout/order-in meals a week
Nope. :btroll:

- listen to at least 3 hours of NRK Alltid Nyheter a day (jeg må øve! :norway:)
Nei.

Personal (one-timers)

- buy a new computer
DONE. A nice little Acer TravelMate. :)

- have my fibroids removed (or the whole uterus, whatever works)
- have my wisdom teeth removed
Nope.

- buy a drat vacuum
DONE. A handvac, designed to handle pet hair too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
September
Financial
Max various retirement accounts incl 401(k), IRA, HSA - All on pace, adding wife's new 457 for new job
Contribute $2K to 529 in order to maximize state income tax benefits. - Done
Save at least $60K towards house down payment - Done
Supplemental: save an additional $15K towards house down payment by EOY.
Identify an accountant in case tax situation gets much more complex in 2023 - killing this off because this is now a 2024 problem
Migrate our stupid low yield CD that's up in January in to a T-Bill ladder or something similar Done
$10K I-Bond purchase - Done
Figure out how to use DCA benefits for future daycare costs - Done, will complete DCA forms at open enrollment event when KG3 born
Get term life set up for both of us - not done yet

Nonfinancial
Go skiing 10 days in the year - 9/10 days I guess I could get a couple in in December
Use all my PTO time - 7/20 Not great, but have at least eight more on the books already, not counting holiday time, which should get me there.
Read 25 books - 15/25 falling behind more! I read The White Ship by Charles Spencer (good, interesting time period, suffers from the problem of Too Many People to keep track of and insufficient focus), Ithaca by Claire North (excellent in parts, premise is somewhat derivative [Madeline Miller did it better/first] but unique enough, ending is unsatisfying and insufficiently Greek), The Towers of Trebizond by Rose Macaulay (classic; very English). Going on a lazy vacation and should be able to bang out a few more to catch up in October.
Exercise 150+ days - 114/113 on pace!
Set up KG3 room and infrastructure - not finished but made some good progress
Get on some daycare waitlists for KG3 - Done 8-9 month wait lmao

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
October Update

Turbinosamente posted:

Financial

• Add 13k to my savings.
On pace with $250 a week.

The lines getting blurry because I've begun spending on Christmas gifts, but yeah I've bought a few things. I may try a no buy thing next year? Granted there are less and less things I want to buy, they just all seem to pop up at once.

Got a random raise out of nowhere on my start date so ???? Done, time to worry about next year.

Personal

Lol midnight bedtime is still bad.

15 projects completed.

5/5 purchased.

3/5 games.
5/5 9/10 books.
4/5 DVDs.

I might be able to finish a book tomorrow and squeak by on that goal.

• Games experienced.
8 video games tried.

• Keep decluttering.
I started in on decluttering my old rock collection, and while I am getting rid of a bunch to my boyfriend's nephew, I wound up buying new cases and a few rocks to fill holes in the collection. At least I have it mostly ready to display and it's something I'd be proud to show off now. But I have yet to make a decision on the maybes; I might box them up again and revisit later. Working on decluttering the collections also furthers a goal I have for next year too. Also I finally got the remains of my old playing card collection into a single box finally!

• Play more bass.
Eh.

Lol as always.

On the whole a good month, but I am definitely gonna change goals for next year. There will be more concrete financial ones, and I am going to change my media consumption goals as my 5/5/5 plan no longer works well. Time for specificity!

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

End of October Update

2023 Financial Goals

1. Get veterinary fund back to $3000 - $2647 of $3,000
3. Set aside money for Roth IRA for 2024 - $1,463 of $1,500
5. Repay myself - Done
9. Stretch: Extra house payment - Striking this one, doesn’t make sense at this time

2023 Personal Goals
2. Yoga at least x2 a week - better but not consistent
3. Cut down on eating out - Not great this month….
4. Read 15 books - 20 of 15

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
October Update

This month I learned that my epilpsy is triggered (at least primarily) by lack of food. My appetite is kind of dodgy, but if I ate less than the equivalent of 2-3 meals in a day, even if I felt completely fine before going to bed, I'd wake up having had a seizure in my sleep, which is super dangerous. I'd wake up with my tongue and/or the inside of my mouth severely bitten, and now that the weather's finally gotten cooler, I'd also wake up with my cat near my bed rather than on it. As much of a relief as it is that I finally put two & two together, it also led to me spending more on food and being more careful to "over"eat (that is to say, eat whether or not I'm hungry, more than I necessarily want to, on a schedule). :sigh:

Financial

- $8,000 new apartment

- $5,000 travel -$2,020.11 to go :toot:
- $20,000 emergency $2,208.16 to go thinking about topping this off from my travel and/or bills surplus
- $5,000 bills $-267.23 to go :toot:

Personal (habits)

Still going strong, to the point that it's not even anything I actively think about anymore. :sun:

Nope.

Nope. I mean, poo poo, I ordered in TODAY. :btroll:

Nei.

Personal (one-timers)

- buy a new computer

Nope. And it's looking like getting my fibroids removed is more urgent than I thought, since they apparently affect appetite.

- buy a drat vacuum

edit: never too late to fix a typo :eng101:

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 1, 2023

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

October Update

2023 Financial Goals
  • Max backdoor Roth IRAs
  • Max HSA On track
  • Use my company's life insurance benefit for free estate planning to actually estate plan Finally done. 8 years later than we should've done it. $44 out of pocket for some filing not covered by insurance.

2023 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books (Stretch goal: 1 in Spanish) 22 of 16 read
  • Exercise 100 times 87 of 100
  • Use all of my vacation 140 of 200 hours (+ 1 sick day and 1 condolence day that I'm not including as "vacation")
  • Reduce unfinished game list by an amount that makes me feel happy. Removed 3 more games.
  • Take the kids one place new every month This month was packed.*

* We did a lot around the city with our kids this month. It was really great having this family time, and I'm forever grateful to live near a city that has opportunities like this because I certainly didn't growing up in a rural area.
  • The Children's Theater presented a revised version of SpongeBob SquarePants The Musical that was really good.
  • The Symphony Orchestra had a limited engagement performing a concert for Disney's 100th anniversary. The kids enjoyed watching the accompanying screen which showed synced clips from Disney movies more than the actual music, but the orchestra was very good. I hadn't been to an orchestral performance in a decade, and it was great to get back.
  • We went to the zoo for the first time in a couple years. The kids actually enjoyed looking at animals this time around. When we went before, all they cared about was climbing rocks.
  • Ringling Bros. came to town, so we went to the circus. Past controversies aside, the new focus on human performances and complete removal of animals is really good. The spectacle is awesome and the sheer talent being shown is very impressive. I would have enjoyed this without kids.
  • We also ate at several nicer restaurants while we were out for these events, which our kids are not always great with. But they were perfect every time.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I've kind of dropped off this thread because I've been changing some things.

I've repaid my home renovation loan from my taxed brokerage account.
This frees up €300 per month, of which I'm sending €50 per month to an extra payment on my mortgage, the rest goes to my e-fund and if that's full back to the brokerage account. The interest on my mortgage is still low, but it's only fixed up to 2030. I know it'd be more efficient to put that money in a savings account and repay then, but I want to repay a bit more automatically, in a way I barely notice since it's basically what I pay for a trip to the grocery store. Just for my own psychological reasons.
So you could say that I've hit my goal of paying back that loan, but I feel like this is kind of cheating, since I was planning to do it from monthly salary payments.
The "good" news about taking this money out of my brokerage account is that I accidentally timed the market right. The days after, there was a dip that my simple four ETF portfolio hasn't really recovered from yet.

My home and emergency funds are not back to a combined 20k yet. They're at 16k, and I'm not sure I can get it to 20k by the end of the year. Early next year, I'll definitely get there.

All my other stuff is kind of chugging along. I'm thinking of simplifying my goals for next year. They'll already be simpler because I don't have the loan to think about anymore

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

I haven't updated in awhile.

October Update!

1. Raise net worth by $304k to $340k. $346k. Goal met.

2. Increase emergency fund from $18k to $20k. $20k. Goal met.

3. Make one extra mortgage payment. 1.06 extra payments made. Goal met.

4. Contribute a minimum of $4.4k to Roth IRA. $4380. On track.

5. Stay at or under my Eating Out budget for 10 out of 12 months. 2/12. Goal failed. Now hoping for 4/12.

6. Explore moving my Roth IRA from Betterment to a somewhere... better. I did try to do this online, but Vanguard seems to think I already have an account. I need to call in and get it figured out.

7. Make a celebratory "11 years of YNAB" post at end of September. I forgot about this! D'oh.

8. Lose 15 pounds. -4 pounds. I started a diet and exercise plan in October and am down a total of 7 pounds, but had gained some between January and then, so a net loss of 4 for the year so far.

9. Read 12 books. 11/12. On track.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Thanksgiving Week Update

Current State
- My student loans: 173k, currently 0% interest, no payments until Summer 2023 Paid off
- Mortgage on 30 year fixed at 2.875%

Financial Goals for 2023
- Max out Backdoor Roth IRAs for me/wife Done
- Max both of our 401ks/Mega Backdoor Roths Done
- Put 10k/month in to taxable Put in 15k/month from January - June. Now that loans are paid off, can go back to this.
- Put 3k/month in to savings On hold with student loan payback, will resume
- Fund Baby Evil's 529 with an extra $20k On track.
- Increase net worth to the next million Done! :toot:
- Figure out what to do with student loans this summer I'm at 108/120 PSLF payments, but my current job technically doesn't qualify, so I'm stuck. Sent off $116k at the end of August. Remaining 57k will be paid off by the end of the year. Loans are paid off.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

November Update

2023 Financial Goals
  • Max backdoor Roth IRAs
  • Max HSA On track
  • Use my company's life insurance benefit for free estate planning to actually estate plan

2023 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books (Stretch goal: 1 in Spanish) 24 of 16 read. Met my stretch goal by reading a book of short stories in Spanish that was no good. However, Thick as Theives was good.
  • Exercise 100 times 94 of 100
  • Use all of my vacation 144 of 200 hours (+ 1 sick day and 1 condolence day that I'm not including as "vacation") Even after Christmas plans, I'm not going to hit this goal this year. But I can rollover 40 hours to use within the first quarter of the following year, and we have a vacation planned during the kids' spring break that coincides nicely with the rollovers.
  • Reduce unfinished game list by an amount that makes me feel happy. Removed 3 more games.
  • Take the kids one place new every month We went to the rollerskating rink during Thanksgiving break. Lots of fun.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 1, 2023

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

September-November Update. Basically hosed on almost everything but I might as well write it down.

Financial
  • Get emergency fund/liquid cash savings to $2000. - Fund at $250. Goal shot.

• Decrease total debt by $20,000 - Total debt up $42,200 for the year. Goal shot.

• Max out company match on 401k - Goal shot.

• Max out my work's charity donation matching. (For real this time!) - Still on auto.

• Put down the 50% deposit on villa rental for 2024 Costa Rica trip (stretch goal: also buy the plane tickets). - Done in January, but trip was cancelled when my friends bailed due to life stuff. Now trying to get a different friend to take the reservation over so I can get back some of the money I put down.

• Maintain $0 in CC debt - Goal shot.

Life
  • Lose 50-55 pounds - November average weight was down 64 pounds from beginning of year. Overshot this goal. At this point I'm trying to focus on body composition and regaining some of the muscle that was lost along with the fat.

• Complete >104 units in Duolingo's Spanish course - Duolingo completely re-arranged their units earlier this year and made this goal kind of obsolete. I'm much better at Spanish now than I was in January, at least, and I want to keep getting better at it. Goal shot, but I'm having fun.

• Read >12 books (at least one in Spanish) - 4 books read for the year. Goal shot.

• Deadlift 400 pounds again - Current 1 rep max is still 365#. It's extremely hard to gain strength while also cutting so much weight. Gonna go ahead and declare goal shot.

• Run a <10:00 mile again - Best mile so far is 10:50. This one might actually be possible if I actually bear down and work at it over the next couple of weeks.

• Take an actual vacation (as in, at least 3 days of PTO and going to another city) - Done in February.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
November Update

Turbinosamente posted:

Financial

• Add 13k to my savings.
On pace with $250 a week.

El oh el. Succumbed to temptation and got myself some things alongside Christmas presents.

Got a random raise out of nowhere on my start date so ???? Done, time to worry about next year.

Personal

Sigh, I need to get off the internet sooner at night.

15 projects completed.

5/5 purchased.

4/5 games.
5/5 10/10 14/15 books.
5/5 5/10 DVDs.

• Games experienced.
10 video games tried.

• Keep decluttering.
Slowing way down as I get into the hard stuff to declutter. Also making another pass at the record collection.

• Play more bass.
Same old, same old.

Did one new chicken recipe that came out kinda okay.

Mostly mad about my spending this month; can only do better next month/year. Speaking of, if no one beats me to it I can start up next year's soon ish when I'm next at a desktop. I've got no clever ideas for a thread title so I'll take any suggestions.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Turbinosamente posted:

November Update

Mostly mad about my spending this month; can only do better next month/year. Speaking of, if no one beats me to it I can start up next year's soon ish when I'm next at a desktop. I've got no clever ideas for a thread title so I'll take any suggestions.

Financial Goals 2024: But I mean for real this time...

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

LanceHunter posted:

Financial Goals 2024: But I mean for real this time...

That's pretty dang good. Won't be able to get to the new thread until Sunday at the earliest.

And yes I have been already outlining new overly ambitious goals to fail for 2024 and need to speak them into existence on the internet.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

End of November Update

2023 Financial Goals

1. Get veterinary fund back to $3000 - $2873 of $3,000 - dog had to go to the vet which delayed completing this one
3. Set aside money for Roth IRA for 2024 - $1,763 of $1,500 - shooting for $2000 now
5. Repay myself - Done

2023 Personal Goals
2. Yoga at least x2 a week - It turns out I suck at convincing myself to exercise. Maybe next year…
3. Cut down on eating out - Did pretty well at this last month, hoping to carry it through the rest of the year.
4. Read 15 books - 27 of 15

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

November Update!

1. Raise net worth by $304k to $340k. $351k. Goal met.

2. Increase emergency fund from $18k to $20k. $20.2k. Goal met.

3. Make one extra mortgage payment. 1.16 extra payments made. Goal met.

4. Contribute a minimum of $4.4k to Roth IRA. $4880. Goal met.

5. Stay at or under my Eating Out budget for 10 out of 12 months. 3/12. Goal failed. Now hoping for 4/12.

6. Explore moving my Roth IRA from Betterment to a somewhere... better. I did try to do this online, but Vanguard seems to think I already have an account. I need to call in and get it figured out.

7. Make a celebratory "11 years of YNAB" post at end of September. I forgot about this! D'oh. Goal failed.

8. Lose 15 pounds. -4.5 pounds. It's not much, but I've also been doing weight-based exercises 3x week and have hopefully been putting on some muscle. I'm down two inches around my stomach, which is nice. Gonna push hard through December, obviously I won't get to 15, but I'll take what I can get.

9. Read 12 books. 12/12. On track. Goal met.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
2024 goals thread is up and running here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4048642

If you wanna plan ahead and organize your thoughts.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pmchem posted:

in 2023 I'm gonna buy an individual corporate bond and hold it to maturity

i failed at this, eyeballed some but transaction costs ate too much into desired yield and it annoyed me.

maybe I'll do it in 2024

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
November Update

On one hand, I got laid off. :smith:
On the other, it means I've been eating a lot less takeout/delivery. :unsmith:

Financial

- $8,000 new apartment

- $5,000 travel -$2,044.44 to go :toot:
- $20,000 emergency $-65.32 to go :toot:
- $5,000 bills $-304.42 to go :toot:

Personal (habits)

Nope.

I don't think so, but I haven't exactly been counting and I know it's been a lot less.

I've been listening a lot more (after all, I've got more time on my hands), but again, I haven't been counting.

Personal (one-timers)

- buy a new computer

Nope. And it's looking like getting my fibroids removed is more urgent than I thought, since they apparently affect appetite.

- buy a drat vacuum

edit: typo

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 14, 2023

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023
I wasn't a SA member when this thread started, but my 2023 goal was to invest 50% of my take home pay. I was able to do that, and I just noticed that my unrealized gain for 2023 exceeded my total take home pay. First that's happened to me, so that's pretty exciting. I've been investing consistently since 2016.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
December Update

Turbinosamente posted:

Financial

Add 13k to my savings.
On pace with $250 a week. I hit this goal like a week early thanks to the couple of times I was able to add extra money. Now to keep doing it all next year.

As I finished the Christmas shopping, so too did my collectibles spending settle out a little. But I will definitely have to work on this next year.

Personal

Largely failed, but it's to the point that the lack of sleep is impeding me in other ways. Perhaps next year I need to try this again by first getting off the internet, it's the endless scolling and youtube that keeps me up late and wastes time I could be doing other projects with.

16 projects completed, a 50% increase over last year! Still so many half baked craft ideas to finish next year too.

5/5 purchased.

4/5 games.
5/5 10/10 14/15 books.
5/5 5/10 DVDs.

• Games experienced.
11 video games tried.

• Keep decluttering.
Slacked off a little this month of course, but I am glad with the amount of stuff I got rid of overall. Still have plenty more to work though next year, especially the harder things to let go, like sentimental objects.

• Play more bass.
Bleah another quasi fail. If I stay off the internet perhaps I can step this up next year too.

• Cook more often/find new recipes.
I cooked a few times, but only tried like three new recipes. Been toying with re upping hello fresh next year to get some exposure to new foods and cooking practice.

Well its been a good year despite flubbing a few goals, and keeping track monthly has decidedly shown me what I need to work on still. I've kinda already flipped over to my 2024 goals, so here's hoping I can continue the success!

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

EOYUpdate

2023 Financial Goals
  • Max backdoor Roth IRAs
  • Max HSA
  • Meet company match on 401k Stretch goal: Max 401k Not quite there because I forgot that the max increased substantially in 2023. But it's the closest I've ever been to maxing, which is pretty exciting.
  • 50/month into kids' 529s Added some Christmas cash from relatives this year as well.
  • Use my company's life insurance benefit for free estate planning to actually estate plan

2023 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books (Stretch goal: 1 in Spanish) 25 of 16 read. Bea Wolf was outstanding. My daughter showed me up and read 133 books this year. I'm a proud dad. :3:
  • Exercise 100 times 102 of 100
  • Use all of my vacation 176 of 200 hours (+ 1 sick day and 1 condolence day that I'm not including as "vacation") I have 3 days left that I'm rolling over to use for a Spring Break vacation next year.
  • Reduce unfinished game list by an amount that makes me feel happy. Removed 2 more games. A pretty good year finishing (or trying and dropping) games - 35 total.
  • Take the kids one place new every month Took the kids to a Nutcracker performance by a local dance club. They were very bored (as was I).

Not a bad year.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 28, 2023

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne posted:

Woohoo, 2023!

Financial Goals
I make a lot of money right now. I don't know if I'll ever make this much again. And I work for a (profitable) startup, so who knows how long this will last. I bleed too much money on random poo poo, so 2023 is about fixing that and growing my accounts.

1. No new debt.
2. Save $2000/month at least
3. Emergency fund to $25k
4. Budget like you make 75% of your net pay
5. Fund a Roth IRA via backdoor

Personal Goals
1. Read 24 books
2. Exercise for 100 minutes per week minimum
3. Make something from one of my cookbooks or cocktail books once a week
4. Complete a UX course
5. Do a Spanish Babbel lesson every day

Welp. Let's call this year a disaster pretty much, at least from a goals perspective.

1. Yes
2. No
3. Nope, $16k
4. lol nope
5. Nope

On the personal front, a bit better...

1. Yup (27)
2. Yup
3. Nope
4. Nope
5. Nope (178 active days)

Omne fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 29, 2023

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spwrozek posted:

Goal this year is to get my brokerage account to have more money than my Roth IRA. As of today ~$18K to go

I didn't really make a lot of goals this year, just plodding along I suppose.

Brokerage is $48,635 more than the Roth IRA as of today.

Overall liquid-ish worth (cash, 401k, ira, hsa, brokerage, etc) is up $164K. A lot is from the market but ultimately I just keep buying. I have an outsized goal of $1M in these accounts by 40 years old (2 years and 4 months to go). This seems...unlikely without some large bonuses. I have also realized that it is ok to spend a little more to do stuff and enjoy life. I just got a random bonus and my partner was like so you are just going to buy VTSAX aren't you?.... I might spend $1000 on myself though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Semi-triumphant EOY update
Financial
Max various retirement accounts incl 401(k), IRA, HSA, wife pension, wife 457 - Done. Feels good to have contributed about $50k (without matching) to retirement accounts, and we should manage a bit more next year! My 401k match is going up so that's nice, too.
Contribute $2K to 529 in order to maximize state income tax benefits. - Done, we ended up contributing $10.1K.
Save at least $60K towards house down payment. - Done,
Supplemental: save an additional $15K towards house down payment by EOY. - Done, ended up at $81.5K
Identify an accountant in case tax situation gets much more complex in 2023, - killing this off because this is now a 2024 problem I really need to get going on this
Migrate our stupid low yield CD that's up in January in to a T-Bill ladder or something similar, Done
$10K I-Bond purchase, - Done
Figure out how to use DCA benefits for future daycare costs, - Done, will complete DCA forms at open enrollment event when KG3 born
Get term life set up for both of us, - Done

Nonfinancial
Go skiing 10 days in the year - 9/10 days December sucked rear end for skiing in the Northeast and I wasn't willing to drop time and money just to nominally close this out.
Use all my PTO time - 17/20 Due to some chaos I wasn't able to use all of it, but at least I get it rolled in to next year.
Read 25 books - 22/25 Added a few novels and some parenting books, but came up short.
Exercise 150+ days - 136/150 Not good enough! I will need to back this down next year anyway, but it was a disappointing finish to the year.
Set up KG3 room and infrastructure - Done enough to support KG3s's basic needs
Get on some daycare waitlists for KG3 - Done 8-9 month wait lmao

As usual did fine on the financial and not so well on the non-financial. I will need to make adjustments for the impending lifestyle change in 2024.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

End of 2023 Update

Overall I'm pretty happy with where I ended up. I didn't complete every goal but there's always next year.

2023 Financial Goals

1. Get veterinary fund back to $3000 - Done
2. Contribute full amount to 401(k) - Done
3. Set aside money for Roth IRA for 2024 - $2,000 of $1,500 - Done
4. Help Mr. Pipistrelle set up an IRA - Failed
5. Repay myself - Done
9. Stretch: Extra house payment - Striking this one, doesn’t make sense with where interest rates are right now.

2023 Personal Goals
2. Yoga at least x2 a week - Did better this month, hoping to carry the momentum through to 2024
3. Cut down on eating out - Did ok, we ended up going out to eat a bit more than normal, but it was the holidays and we had PTO so oh well.
4. Read 15 books - 28 of 15

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hope you don’t mind if I copy your homework.

2024 Financial Goals

1. Maintain veterinary fund at $4000. Jet, my cat, has heart disease and will likely have at least one more cardiac event this year. The e-vet visit will be expensive, since I didn’t get insurance for him when he was young. So my goal is to always be ready to fully pay off any of our trips to the ER in 2024.
2. Max out 401(k). I am of the nature to grow old. I cannot avoid growing old. I must prepare.
3. Investigate backdoor Roth. Assuming I'm employed at my same MAGI for this entire year, I can't contribute to my Roth IRA for TY 2024. I should see if it makes financial sense to go through the back door this tax year.
4. Set up my sister’s finances and associated accounts. I’m worried about her dentistry career and her financial security. I can’t do much about her career prospects, but I can at least guide her finances.
5. Start new 2024 budget. My approach to budgeting has historically been very slapdash, and I only just recently understood how to properly use a credit card with YNAB. I'll use my 2023 reports to inform my 2024 budget, but I'll archive the old one.
6. Spend less than $100 combined on snacks and takeout/delivery per month. Holy poo poo food is expensive now. Until wages and salaries are rightfully raised to match, limit the money I spend on them. Also, I've been indulging way too much and way too impulsively, sooo yeah.

(TODO: Add more.)

2024 Personal Goals

1. Care for my cat. I mentioned my cat earlier - he's my most important charge, and he's senescing. Although he's in good spirits and has a respectable amount of energy for being more than 14 years old, he still has heart disease and either IBD or small cell lymphoma. He probably will not see 2025. So we're going to make this the best year ever. 🖤
2. Fix birth certificate. My family is going to file for Italian citizenship via jure sanguinis, but my birth certificate has clerical errors and inaccuracies that need to be amended first. Unfortunately, that birth certificate is in a completely different state than the one I live in! That will require filing a case with both my local and birth state courts and city halls, and it's going to be a huge pain in the rear end. But this is blocking the rest of my family from Italian citizenship, so I need to get this done. I've got the documents, I'm just waiting on some remaining clerical work from the lawyer I've been working with before I can file. Wish me luck, everyone :(
3. Return to my low-carb, time-restricted feeding diet. Good lord have I fallen off that bandwagon. I've gained a sizable amount of weight thanks to impulsive snacking and choosing sugary treats and alcohol for hits of dopamine (to stave off stress and depression). This year, I need to get back to doing two things: minimizing carbohydrates (i.e. stop eating sugar, bread, chips, crackers, chocolate, etc.) and limiting my meal hours (i.e. only eat between 12PM~8PM and stop raiding the office mini-kitchen).
4. Reassess career. Now that I've spent over two years on this project at my job, I think it's time to move on. I'm not happy on my current team, and I'm also uncertain about the company at large. And, uh, whether I'll still be working there by the end of the year. On either my or their terms. I've also been insanely burnt out and dissatisfied with the work I do, and have lost my confidence and self-respect as a software engineer. I'm uncertain of my future career prospects as well, so I want to do something that makes me feel like I'm actually fuckin' learning and growing.
5. Make one song per week. I want to make music, get good at making music, and enjoy making music. I have hella brainworms about making music, and 2023 was a thoroughly unproductive year in that sense. Therefore, I need something to keep me accountable and force me to get over my blank canvas anxiety. So I signed up for WeeklyBeats 2024! It's meant to "encourage musicians to be productive, creative, and have fun", so god willing this will get me to stop fearing the creative process. Especially since my output is expected to be over one minute in length, and fully complete rather than a snippet or WIP. (This is a lofty fuckin' goal, considering I have zero musical training or production education. We'll see how much of this I get done.)
6. Add structure and schedule to my life. ADHD has hosed over my adulthood. I can't organize, plan, or schedule for poo poo. I don't feel productive, creative, or diligent. I wish I was someone who was more organized and put together, and knew exactly what to do with their time and energy. So I'm going to try and be more like that person. I...honestly don't know how to do this, other than leaning on my calendar and to-do list for everything. But I'll try to figure something out! (TODO: Write actionable items for this.)
7. Meet people. 2020 was going to be my year!!! I would turn 30 years old and become a Normal Well-Adjusted Adult!!! And then COVID happened. And we all got quarantined for almost 2 years. And now it's been almost 4 years since my 2020 resolutions and I'm somehow even more isolated and alone. I'm starting to feel my age - if I don't make more and stronger friends, and soon, I'm hosed. I need a stronger social net, and I need it now.
8. Practice guitar every MTRF and follow a practice plan. I like guitar, but so far I've just been plonking around on it like an idiot. So when I look over to it, I feel bad about how little progress I feel like I've made and start avoiding it. I need to practice guitar regularly, even just for 30 minutes at a time. And I also need to follow a plan or course as I do - I have no idea what I'm doing! (And I want to get good enough to go back to my old teacher, who I stopped going to because I felt bad that I couldn't keep up.)
9. Go into the office more often. I've gotten too used to work-from-home days. And despite my commute currently being absolute garbage, I still think showing up in person every day is worth it - cause then I'm less likely to be hated or laid off! Right!? :negative: Okay, this one's a lofty goal. How about going in on Wednesdays again...?

2024 Financial Un-Goals

1. Purchase property. I’m not buying this year - given my current job and associated commute, my career uncertainty, my distaste for local market options, a lack of critical requirements to own a condo or SFH, and just hating the housing market at large…I’m not confident or convinced. And if I’m not 100% on board, forget it.
2. Max out Roth IRA for TY 2023. I was over the MAGI limit for a Roth IRA last tax year, so I won’t be maxing it out before Tax Day.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 1, 2024

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Hope you don’t mind if I copy your homework.

Love it! I always look at other people’s goals before setting mine for the new year. Also, come post your goals in the 2024 Financial Goals thread if you haven’t already!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Good call!

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

grenada posted:

Hoping to get some side hustles really moving in 2023.

I started flipping art in 2022 and have learned a ton over the past year. Made a ton of mistakes but I’ve gotten a decent strategy worked out by now. Setting a goal of 10k in profit for 2023.

I also bought a snacks related domain name and want to get some sort of blog/YouTube/TikTok snack hustle going. Not sure yet if I’ll just review snacks, resell snacks, or try making my own. Probably will do all three first and then see what sticks. Goal is to break even on money invested.

interested in seeing how this poster is doing.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
since I started this poo poo for real

Year 401k IRA HSA Total Retirement Savings
2017 16,522 0 0 16,522
2018 24,082 0 0 24,082
2019 52,673 6,517 0 59,190
2020 83,353 14,399 0 97,752
2021 124,399 23,094 0 147,493
2022 121,734 24,586 0 146,320
2023 169,794 37,087 3,601 210,482

Adbot