Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
at least so far.

What project are you the most proud of (or least proud of)?

I really wanted some buzzers for my classes, but I could not find any that would let only the first person to buzz buzz.
I only know the basics of electronics, but it seemed easy enough to make my own. So I bought these:
, a piezzo buzzer, an Arduino, and some assorted buttons, wires, boards, resistors, etc.
I cut open the bottoms of the buzzers, found where the circuit traces for the lights were, soldered it to some wires and those to a board, connected an Arduino, modeled and 3-D printed something for the first time, and assembled it all in a box made out of cardboard.
It has breakaway cables in case the students get too rowdy and it operates on both being plugged in or on battery!
I can't seem to find a picture of the final product, but here is before it was put into a box and before the 3-D printed hand grip things:

I do have a video of the final product though!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdr0E0eOjVU

I definitely am still absolutely terrible at soldering. I remember at some point trying to super glue the cables in place, but then the connection was bad, so I tried soldering again. Or maybe I did the opposite order? Or both orders? It's hard to remember because of all the glue fumes. My eyes now have a thin layer of solidified glue vapors on them.
But I was really happy with it, even if my target audience probably didn't care all that much, haha.

If I had to tell the story of my worst DIY project, it would be when my friend and I tried building a magnetic coil gun. At some point, we tried soldering the wires to a breadboard.
I will learn how to solder correctly one day... One day...

Tell me your best/worst projects. How did it go? What did you learn? What do you wish you did differently? How big of a fire did you start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
This is nowhere near as interesting as yours, but I have a bit of a weird U-shaped alcove in my study. It was more-or-less impossible to do anything with.

I found two identical L-shaped desks on disposals and got them home. I was able to get rid of one of the returns, trim the desk, and trim the other return, then managed to bolt them all back together satisfactorily.

Apologies for the poor lighting, the room has one of those annoying ceiling fans with a frosted glass cover.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I customised a little DIY house kit to be the house from What We Do in the Shadows. Only alteration I wanna make now is replacing the clock with a picture of Nadja I've printed out, and adding some lighting.

Genuinely very proud of this, it came out just like I wanted. No fires yet but then I have to mess around with LEDs and batteries later and I'm sure I'm clumsy enough to find a way.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Late, but that's glorious.