Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Panfilo posted:

Pretty good breakdown of those statue pfp accounts on Twitter
https://twitter.com/waitmanb/status/1780170180045254908?t=jqcDcuLlvtzWoLqLFS-DuA&s=19
Culture critic has a million followers and regularly laments the current state of art and architecture. Stuff like this seems to give reactionaries a cover for their terrible views, which I assume is intentional. Make reactionary right wing content coded to benign things, point and laugh when people call the "OK" hand sign 'fascist'.

wait a minute is your pfp a statue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Vomik posted:

wait a minute is your pfp a statue?

I should have specified Greco Roman statue pfps. Mine is a hideous sculpture of Cristiano Ronaldo, there's a difference.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You know he's not wrong I'm pretty sure but it's kinda lol seeing him spelling out such basic bitch poo poo we all figured out in five seconds

I guess that's liberal brain for ya.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You know he's not wrong I'm pretty sure but it's kinda lol seeing him spelling out such basic bitch poo poo we all figured out in five seconds

The Right: *slams fist on table* god dammit, I was this close to succeeding via my strategy of masking my beliefs with Greco-Roman statue profile pictures, but I've been exposed!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ytlaya posted:

The Right: *slams fist on table* god dammit, I was this close to succeeding via my strategy of masking my beliefs with Greco-Roman statue profile pictures, but I've been exposed!

That makes a lot of sense considering liberals are what they've been dealing with their entire lives.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Liberals love to arbitrarily label people as good or bad based on irrelevant details such as their profile picture or which side of a village in India they are from. From the British Raj to Bidenite homonationalism, liberals have consistently demonstrated they are OK with mass murder. That's bad and all but the thing that really gets under my skin is their hypocritical moralizing. This fellow for instance is a holocaust scholar who seems to think his helping kill two million Iraqis is ok.

You can read about how bad he thinks it is for Trump to pardon war criminals as if he is not one himself. It's almost like he is trying to score political points against the closest thing America has had to an anti war president this side of WW2.
https://www.twincities.com/2019/05/13/waitman-wade-beorn-i-led-a-platoon-in-iraq-trump-is-wrong-to-pardon-war-criminals/

In short, this piece of poo poo should be tried at the Hague, like almost every American military officer. It's deeply unserious to give any creedence to his claims regarding who is or isn't a fascist.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Love the Tom Green Turtle av, OP.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Panfilo posted:

As many know, Elon Musk purchased Twitter and as of late has opened the floodgates for right wing reactionaries who were previously banned to come flooding back into Twitter. This has been seen as a virtual "reprisal" of sorts, where the people who thought they were unjustly kicked off Twitter not only got to come back, but they are reveling in smug glee about leftists getting kicked off/driven out of Twitter.

Not surprisingly the nonexistent moderation and cultural shift in demographics have seen some stark changes on Twitter. Whereas before I'd see some pretty intense back and forth in threads, it's shifted in the direction of Facebook in tone:

There's far more echo chambers now than before. Now I totally get it didn't take Musk taking over Twitter for people to get rape threats, death threats, unsolicited dick pics, etc. But it has gotten even more ridiculously polarized than even before. And much like it's Facebook predecessor it seems to fall into the same disingenuous patterns.

The "I'm not touching you!" discourse" - So one thing people praise SA for among online communities is the understanding that moderation has to have nuance to it. The description people gave to me about this is that even if you have 500 explicit rules for behavior people will deliberately skate around them and rules lawyer their way into trolling. So moderation has to look at intent, and since right wing reactionaries operate in bad faith the only way to really get rid of them is to cut through their bullshit. With the changes to Twitter, it has allowed the proliferation of immense numbers of bad faith posting, but paradoxically it seems like they wouldn't be very well equipped to fight back. You see this quite a bit with arguments about the Colorado Springs shooting in particular. They'll all but directly say that the victims had it coming, but when you call them out on it they'll start sea lioning about you needing to prove they posted something direct about it. Ditto for throwing the "groomer" phrase around. They'll mean it in a very specific way, and when you try to pin them down about it they'll dance away like a bunch of eye floaties in your vision. One thing I've also been observing here is what happens if you do the same thing right back at them. It turns out they are typically unaware of what is going on and get caught in a "loop" when that happens.

The Internet Troll - Right wing social media discourse is by and large driven by trolling, particularly as of late. It's not so much about proving themselves right or coming up with productive solutions but instead "owning the libs". A lot of the toxic masculinity wrapped up in conservatism gets projected online. This manifests as a pattern where caring about others, empathy, vulnerability, uncertainty, etc are seen as weakness and attacked. Currently a common target has been people upset that Musk bought Twitter. These people get portrayed as weak cowards, unjustly protected by Twitter's previous administration and now fair game. I definitely saw this pattern play out early on in SA as well-simply caring about, well anything would get you mercilessly mocked. Strength was associated with both apathy and misanthropy. That said, I find conservatives themselves pretty quick to call others bots and trolls (similar to the NPC meme a while back). They can be surprisingly thin skinned as well. I noticed that being suitably annoying and persistent they can start whining that you are harassing them, and block/mute you.

Pronouns in bio- This is another puzzling and annoying thing I saw happen over the past few years on Twitter. If a person has pronouns listed in their bio there's almost a race to see who can dismiss them for it. It's such a weak, played out dig at someone. Now mind you I'm not shocked at how cruel and crass people can be online but rather... Disappointed in how uncreative they are about it. How do they expect you to respond to this? The same way we respond to a skunk flipping it's tail up menacingly?

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023
Bidenite homonationalism lol

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023

d'awwww

Apr 21, 2024
here's the communication:

quote:

THE POOL IS CLOSED

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Wow! A lot to unpack here.

Apr 21, 2024
fuckin incompetent bourgeoise :silly:

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

042124 posted:

fuckin incompetent bourgeoise :silly:

this