Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wormskull posted:

Had a lil laugh at this guy's name.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jepum Stickstyle? I hardly knew 'im!

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

So pissed off that this is the name of where I'm gonna live.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Wormskull posted:

So pissed off that this is the name of where I'm gonna live.

lol

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPUFQOh7lnw tales udner the oak - the foad folk. .. if you need that lil push to keep on dwarf forting throw this on and play.. Lots of times i got this on i think its actually the game soundtrack lol. Perfect

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
df is not on discount on steam wtf i want the new stuff...

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

ArfJason posted:

make a patreon for it

----------------

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

ArfJason posted:

they make $10k+ per month yet refuse to offer even a 10% launch discount. Truly sickening. gabe n should do something

----------------

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

this elf is down in a cave absolutely beating the poo poo out of this unconscious troll until he collapses and passes out from exhaustion, then wakes up and continues pummeling it, over and over

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
every time a job gets cancelled i do a push up

----------------

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
if these dwarves kill these 37 targets they can earn their bedroom privileges back. the doors will remain off however

----------------

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
an epic monster from the deep rose up to kill the good dwarves but before it could even reach our fortress a bunch of crundles hopped on it and killed it. Lol, pathetic

----------------

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

insane anime posted:

an epic monster from the deep rose up to kill the good dwarves but before it could even reach our fortress a bunch of crundles hopped on it and killed it. Lol, pathetic

Crundles ftw lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I dont know what a Crundle is but it sounds like an obscure British slur for Roma people

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I dont know what a Crundle is but it sounds like an obscure British slur for Roma people

they look like it too lol

----------------

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

been slaughtering titania all day, finally got some luck with omoikane

I'll probably start learning Demi-Fiend some time tomorrow at this rate

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Evil Eagle posted:

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Evil Eagle posted:

lol, nice fortress of dwarves.

----------------

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Lol whoops. Still used to the game club thread being under tld's name

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
200 dwarves used to live here..now its a ghost town

----------------

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
got a guy in my fort with the surname Fondlesack lmfao..if he ever fucks (he wont) he better do his son the favor of passing down his mothers last name

----------------

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
Fondlesack is a glazer lmfao

----------------

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

insane anime posted:

got a guy in my fort with the surname Fondlesack lmfao..if he ever fucks (he wont) he better do his son the favor of passing down his mothers last name

insane anime posted:

lmfaO

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

insane anime posted:

insane anime posted:

Lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

insane anime posted:

insane anime posted:

lol

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 102 days!

insane anime posted:

lmfao

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, I bought DF the other day while it had its token discount, and I've been reading up in preparation for starting the game. (I'm thinking I might need to take a few days off work, so I can mostly focus on DF. Since screw only having an hour or two here and there, for learning a game of this tier! Same with stuff like X4 Foundations and UnReal World, etc.) What I'd like to know though, is fortress setups.

So yeah, are there any recommended configurations, for a fortress entrance? I'm thinking of having a wall+moat on the surface (with a drawbridge) and have a couple of buildings inside the compound for a trade depot and barracks, etc. Then a small 'keep' (for lack of better words) with the entrance to my fortress itself. After that, the underground entrance will have additional drawbridges (but opening up to the sides, to splatter any intruders against the walls) and then I'm thinking I'd probably fork off to a tavern, hospital and probably a sculpture garden. With the sculpture garden being a kind of 'hub'/intersection area, which will go off to the dorms and whatnot, elsewhere.

Does that sound... OK? No idea about glaring faults, or anything like that. Ideally I'll tap a river to make an underground cistern, that the tavern and hospital have wells to. But otherwise, no idea really.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

That sounds badass Major, can’t wait for the screenshots

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Major Isoor posted:

So, I bought DF the other day while it had its token discount, and I've been reading up in preparation for starting the game. (I'm thinking I might need to take a few days off work, so I can mostly focus on DF. Since screw only having an hour or two here and there, for learning a game of this tier! Same with stuff like X4 Foundations and UnReal World, etc.) What I'd like to know though, is fortress setups.

So yeah, are there any recommended configurations, for a fortress entrance? I'm thinking of having a wall+moat on the surface (with a drawbridge) and have a couple of buildings inside the compound for a trade depot and barracks, etc. Then a small 'keep' (for lack of better words) with the entrance to my fortress itself. After that, the underground entrance will have additional drawbridges (but opening up to the sides, to splatter any intruders against the walls) and then I'm thinking I'd probably fork off to a tavern, hospital and probably a sculpture garden. With the sculpture garden being a kind of 'hub'/intersection area, which will go off to the dorms and whatnot, elsewhere.

Does that sound... OK? No idea about glaring faults, or anything like that. Ideally I'll tap a river to make an underground cistern, that the tavern and hospital have wells to. But otherwise, no idea really.

that sounds wonderful, all my entrances are 1 tile wide and filled with thousands of blade traps the dwarves have to deftly step over

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 102 days!

Jenny Agutter posted:

----------------

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

That Little Demon posted:

that sounds wonderful, all my entrances are 1 tile wide and filled with thousands of blade traps the dwarves have to deftly step over

Hah, I bet that keeps 'em fit, at least! :D Interesting, though - do you have all your entrances reach the surface at a common point, or are they all over the place? My concern is that I'd inadvertently allow enemies in through a side passage, if I did that. I guess if/when I get better with the game I might end up doing something similar. Could always have a drawbridge hooked up to some pressure plates or something I suppose, to semi-automate opening/closing the secondary tunnels

And thanks all! Hopefully I can make it look semi-decent. We'll see!

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Major Isoor posted:

Hah, I bet that keeps 'em fit, at least! :D Interesting, though - do you have all your entrances reach the surface at a common point, or are they all over the place? My concern is that I'd inadvertently allow enemies in through a side passage, if I did that. I guess if/when I get better with the game I might end up doing something similar. Could always have a drawbridge hooked up to some pressure plates or something I suppose, to semi-automate opening/closing the secondary tunnels

And thanks all! Hopefully I can make it look semi-decent. We'll see!

one entrance only lol, everything past the front door is a literal deathtrap with thousands of whirling and spinning blades. Elves are kill on site and I sell them their wood and they cry and go home and go to war with me and I wear their skin when I go to their bases to kill them.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

major isoor somehow negotiating peace with all races and ushering a new era of dwarf fortress

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

trying to jack off posted:

major isoor somehow negotiating peace with all races and ushering a new era of dwarf fortress

hoype

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 102 days!
i go crazy on fort defense. i use a ton of drawbridges, setting up long locks with bridges at both ends and traps (cages and giant serrated green glass discs) throughout, all immediately behind a bridge-secured trade area (relative to the main entrance). bridges to secure the cavern entrances, bridges to secure the long, circuitous stone and trash weapon trap paths i run to the surface from the caverns to give invaders something to do. i usually set up a control room on the dining and leisure level for all the levers so as to easily reach it while burrowed with my general invasion alarm. i always have a ton of dogs and cats so i'll usually stake some around the entrances as an early warning system. then more bridges to secure cavern entrances and so forth

i typically run small-to mid population forts, though, so i cant spare a ton of labor for the military. if you're just letting in whoever, human wave attacks of melee with archers stationed in murder holes will usually get the job done as long as you keep the shock troops away from the main fort population day-to-day.

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

keas are the nightmare of my current fort. I don't know if they can get downstairs but I surrounded by entrance with cage traps and I've caught a couple that were Too Near (gonna sell them to merchants). but this doesn't help with the main annoyance: every time my dwarfs go up the surface the little bastards scare them and they forget what they were doing!!! what do I need to do to save my people from this menace

pictured below: the enemy