Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Mainwaring posted:

Looks like utd are willing to pay Maguire 10mil to gently caress off

TheRat posted:

Looks like you shouldn't read the daily mail

I'm trying to think of the last time a club was so desperate to unload a player they just paid out the remainder of the wages to get them out as soon as possible.

I think Liverpool might have done this during the early part of Dalglish's second stint to get some dross out, but I can't find any confirmation of that on Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Eric Cantonese posted:

I'm trying to think of the last time a club was so desperate to unload a player they just paid out the remainder of the wages to get them out as soon as possible.

I think Liverpool might have done this during the early part of Dalglish's second stint to get some dross out, but I can't find any confirmation of that on Google.

It makes no sense to do for Maguire since he's playing games and doing ok. Also, it literally just comes from a rage-bait daily mail article.

E: And there's not a snowballs chance in hell you'd be unable to sell England Starting Defender Harry Maguire.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

TheRat posted:

It makes no sense to do for Maguire since he's playing games and doing ok. Also, it literally just comes from a rage-bait daily mail article.

E: And there's not a snowballs chance in hell you'd be unable to sell England Starting Defender Harry Maguire.

I agree that it's not likely Manchester United are that desperate to get rid of Maguire.

However, I think Maguire could easily put a monkey wrench in any sale plan by just insisting that any buyer match his Manchester United wages. If you really wanted to sell him right now, he's in bad form and his reputation isn't good enough to attract CL clubs. Unless he's desperate for playing time to keep his England place and some club is willing to match his current salary, Man-U might have to just plan on having him leave on a Bosman.

I am very curious where he ends up next.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Luton get some big money in and start doing Forest-level buying

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Eric Cantonese posted:

Ozil would like a word...

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Eric Cantonese posted:

I agree that it's not likely Manchester United are that desperate to get rid of Maguire.

However, I think Maguire could easily put a monkey wrench in any sale plan by just insisting that any buyer match his Manchester United wages. If you really wanted to sell him right now, he's in bad form and his reputation isn't good enough to attract CL clubs. Unless he's desperate for playing time to keep his England place and some club is willing to match his current salary, Man-U might have to just plan on having him leave on a Bosman.

I am very curious where he ends up next.

Surely you just cover part of his wages at that point, happens quite a lot

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Masonity posted:

Ozil would like a word...

Arsenal also paid Aubameyang a ton of money to go away.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

sebzilla posted:

Surely you just cover part of his wages at that point, happens quite a lot

How much is the other club going to play ball to help you out? There comes a point where if you're covering so much of the guy's wages anyway, you might as well have him available in case you need him.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

english tax

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Slotducks posted:

dunno how id feel heading into a cup final seeing rumors of my impending replacement but im not a professional footballer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i'm loving the idea of harry maguire, an £80m player who has been most recently sat on the bench in favour of playing a left-back out of position, showing up to the cup final with a face on because he's read in the paper that ten hag doesn't rate him

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

also apparently we're in for Rasmus Hojlund as an actual striker, and I'm doing the bacon dance to summon a dane to tell me if I should care about that

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
im not danish but he's been fun to watch for atalanta and he only turned 20 this year

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

blue footed boobie posted:

Arsenal also paid Aubameyang a ton of money to go away.

Worth every penny

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

FullLeatherJacket posted:

also apparently we're in for Rasmus Hojlund as an actual striker, and I'm doing the bacon dance to summon a dane to tell me if I should care about that

hes very raw, not ready for a top team if you want him to do anything top strikers do.

he can run fast and be strong though

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

How much is the other club going to play ball to help you out? There comes a point where if you're covering so much of the guy's wages anyway, you might as well have him available in case you need him.

It's funny this has come up because I just learned today that PSG have been paying 88% of Icardi's wages while he's been on loan to Galatasaray :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

made a new thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4033360