Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Cease to Hope posted:

the ogres are the titan models

wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Is the most recent Underworlds starter set worth getting for $35 from Barnes and Noble if I already have the 2021 set? I know its two other different warbands, and the orignal from 2021 don't have Magic dice.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

E2M2 posted:

Is the most recent Underworlds starter set worth getting for $35 from Barnes and Noble if I already have the 2021 set? I know its two other different warbands, and the orignal from 2021 don't have Magic dice.

it doesn't include magic dice either, but sure. it has ironsoul's condemnors, who are boring but essentially fine, and difficult to find nowadays, and the revamped sepulchral guard that's also in the 2023 starter. if you like lots of skeletons or some bland-even-by-SCE-standards stormcast, the whole starter is the same price as a single stand-alone team.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

E2M2 posted:

It's worthwhile if you want the updated cards for the warbands. The rulebook is already out of date, so download the latest one when it drops. TBF, if you already have the Sepulchral Guard, you can flip the models on ebay and break even for the B&N set. I thought it was a good deal so I picked up a set 1) to get the updated decks and 2) maybe get my GF into the game via the Rivals format, since I'm done with any competitive play.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

quote:

most recent set

berzerkmonkey posted:

The rulebook is already out of date,

:allears: never change GW

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

berzerkmonkey posted:

It's worthwhile if you want the updated cards for the warbands.

B&N set has Ironsoul's Condemnors instead of the Faratriders, and their cards aren't changed from (Rivals of) Dreadfane except cosmetically, FWIW.

Bottom Liner posted:

The changes are fairly technical and very minor. The biggest advantage to downloading the updated rulebook is its detailed guide to handling reactions.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

New killteam dataslate out, in addition to a bunch of team stuff jump tests are now automatic and beta-decima smoke now blocks visibility instead of obscuring

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

StashAugustine posted:

New killteam dataslate out, in addition to a bunch of team stuff jump tests are now automatic and beta-decima smoke now blocks visibility instead of obscuring

Link? I don't see it on Warcom

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/yZBQGphSd86dgame.pdf

Also WH+ had a batrep with nightlords and mandrakes; night lords count as obscured if merely next to terrain as long as they're on conceal and more than 6" away; mandrakes also count as "being in shadow" if they're near heavy terrain which means they get a 4+ invuln (5+ otherwise) and can teleport to another location "in shadow" as long as they don't end up in LOS of an enemy. Plus they have guns that make your save scale by your APL instead of your normal save

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

E2M2 posted:

Bottom Liner posted:

For a change, I wasn't offering GW-snark - the rulebooks change with each season, so the most current rules would be Deathgorge, soon to be Wintermaw. The starter box rules are perfectly fine for out of the box, especially given the box price point of $35, which is cheaper than buying an individual warband.

So yeah, the B&N set is a good deal (the skellies are great models) and the rulebook is a non-issue. Just download the latest one when you pick up more current warbands (or buy the latest core set.)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

night lords count as obscured if merely next to terrain as long as they're on conceal and more than 6" away;

mandrakes also count as "being in shadow" if they're near heavy terrain which means they get a 4+ invuln (5+ otherwise) and can teleport to another location "in shadow" as long as they don't end up in LOS of an enemy.

both of those are bonkers

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
A new shadow-themed iteration of elf movement bullshit. “Nothing personal kid” the kill team.

Sounds entertaining and if it has the effect of making folks worriedly look at their terrain for areas of potential shade, all the more thematic.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Oh man these are some MAJOR changes to several teams. Kommandos got nerfed big time and Warp Coven got both ends of the stick. Both my poor brothers teams.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Vet Guard demo man is down to one mine a game. To be honest if you allow him to live to get off two mine you deserve to lose.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Super Waffle posted:

Oh man these are some MAJOR changes to several teams. Kommandos got nerfed big time and Warp Coven got both ends of the stick. Both my poor brothers teams.

Warpcoven got a minor hit on 1 power and then a bunch of really good buffs so maybe they're okay now?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

StashAugustine posted:

Warpcoven got a minor hit on 1 power and then a bunch of really good buffs so maybe they're okay now?

The talk among top players is that they are now either S tier or very close to it, so yeah, they are ok.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I'm kinda surprised GW is making changes people have been pushing on for years at this point. Removing Fly from Harlequins, nerfing the bomb squig, big boost to Warp Coven, rebalancing Hierotek Circle. I'm glad, but it's like, what paradigm shift happened behind the scenes. I feel like, if they went heavy with Warp Coven & Hierotek, there are other teams that could also use a boost, but... hopefully they keep this energy up for future Dataslates

Desfore fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 27, 2024

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
All I know is: it's Kroot's time to shine!*

* only because I like them, not because they had any changes.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lumpy posted:

All I know is: it's Kroot's time to shine!*

* only because I like them, not because they had any changes.

also they had a shitload of changes

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

The buffs are good but the nerfs to psychic powers and Ephemeral Instability are significant, it was pretty much my brothers only move lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Cease to Hope posted:

also they had a shitload of changes

Yes. But I would love them anyway.