Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
At the start of this month I was about 6 weeks behind. Now I’m merely a week and a half behind. Gonna finish it during time off after Xmas.

Rather than starting something new for ‘24, I’m planning to refine this one via blog posts. Probably not doing anything daily, but still in the spirit of #Lore24. Or maybe it’ll be #mechanics24 for me because I mostly only wrote lore during ‘23

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

For Hexplore#24 I'm going with my idea of a crashed flying city (or maybe a crashed generation ship?) as the base.

Characters from the base made and equipped with SWN, world detailed via WWN.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.
Congrats to everyone who saw it through! It's no small feat. I had to stop my modified #Module23 challenge about halfway through due to health issues.

But I've got a draft of the campaign pitch ready to crowdfund a print run of one of the adventures that came out of it. Getting some proofs in next week and gonna go live in February as part of Zine Month. (If you're interested, you can subscribe at the top to be notified when it goes live.) I'm also gonna throw in a one-shot adventure pamphlet I made out of one of the monthly module ideas I originally wasn't able to get to. (A secret research ship being ravaged by an escaped animal experiment that's essentially a giant sponge turned into a terrifying version of Kirby.)

Don't think I'll have the time for #Hexplore24 or #Lore24, but this year's efforts gave me a lot of material to expand on and refine. So hopefully I'll be pulling projects out of it for a while.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
I think I started to do a Worldbuilding23 project then gave up a week in for a variety of reasons. But this year will be different. Maybe. I'm planning some sort of hybrid hexcrawl/pointcrawl, maybe following characters around but mostly just indulging in some structured worldbuilding. The last couple of weeks have been spent doing just about everything short of rolling up the first hex. If I can make it through at least January I'm going to be real pleased with myself.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Something Else posted:

At the start of this month I was about 6 weeks behind. Now I’m merely a week and a half behind. Gonna finish it during time off after Xmas.

Whew! Caught up on 3 weeks in the last 3 days. I’m glad it’s done, but I’m genuinely very happy I did this and stuck with it. Somehow I think if I had talked about it or showed it to anyone I wouldn’t have finished.

Now I have to start scanning!

Detective Eyestorm
Jan 6, 2012
I did it.

Neat experiment, terrible final product.
  • I liked the "coming up with ideas" part, but I wish I had a clearer idea of each floor before I started the project. I had a half-formed list of "maybe" ideas with no sense of progression or cohesion, which caused me to struggle later on.
  • I didn't like the "drawing a map" part, which is why you can see me experiment with different mapping methods from month to month. I'm probably gonna leave mapping to Dyson Logos from now on.
  • My favorite rooms are the ones where a mook (or group of mooks) performs some menial task. They're funny.
I'll probably continue to do some sort of daily prep ritual, but I think I'll focus on making spaces big enough to contain my ideas rather than bloating my ideas to fill a space.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Besides my other RPG stuff, I completed four "dungeon crawls" in 2023, with rooms that sum to about 365.
  1. The Mountain of the Mad Marquis - d20 fantasy dungeon crawl. The legendary bandit Gorrister the Great was last seen descending into the ruined DeCavalier estate on the edge of civilization. There's a price on his head, but the real question is what he went looking for.
  2. Dungeon Crawling Double Feature - Unknown Armies 3e dungeon crawl. The Four Adventurers descend into the underworld in search of occult power, then use their discoveries to raid the Old King's fortress and topple the Monarchy.
  3. The Cage Cup - Unknown Armies 3e drinking game. In the year 143 BC, a party of Slaves is caught in the Roman Republic's violent suppression of the Bacchanalia. Their only hope to escape the bloodshed is the power of the wine god himself.
  4. Singing Sand - Delta Green dungeon crawl in the world of Fear & Hunger. Feature complete, awaiting a third playtest. The year is 1913, the place the ancient land of Abyssonia, where archaeologists have just uncovered the lost tomb of a New God.
My next project is a hex crawl, a sequel to some previous dungeons.

THE WEDDING OF THE GIANTESS MORWENNA
Following the death of her father Arminus, the eponymous Giantess Morwenna is looking for a political marriage, but isn't interested in learning about politics. To find the best husband (or wife) she's holding a battle-royale, pitting her suitors and their retinues against one another. Three contestants have brought their entourages to the tournament grounds, determined to win the grand melee.
  • Robert the Bandit and the green warriors of One Ear
  • Wilusa the Lamia and her high level party of ensorceled adventures
  • Gorrister the Great and his monstrous Brigands of All Nations
Signups are still open for late-arriving warlords, meanwhile preparations for the event have devastated the countryside. Morwenna's legion of landsknechts have denuded the landscape of life for miles around. Crops stolen, animals driven off, inhabitants enslaved to chop wood and cut stone - or rounded up in meatcamps to be served at the giantess' feast.

Low power groups can do missions to give one of the contestants an advantage or steal things during the chaos. Higher level characters can enter the tournament and fight for the Morwenna's hand, or raid her steading and assassinate her. The challenge is to fill the landscape with interesting smaller details besides the primary factions. I hate "wilderness travel" so I want to make a hex crawl I will actually enjoy running, and the players will enjoy playing.

This is cool. I think the maps look great, but the scanned pencil handwriting is fatiguing to read. Cranking up the contrast on the images might help. Typing up the key entries would be better, but that's 365 entries to type up. Then you'd have to do layout for the PDF, which is as much "work" as the dungeon itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
I pretty quickly identified concerns with the completion of dungeon 23 and pivoted to something more doable.

https://koboldpress.com/dungeon-23-a-small-but-fierce-approach/

We finished what we started out trying to achieve, and I think we'll have two free linked adventures out of the deal.

https://koboldpress.com/category/dungeon-23/