Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I have been so bad at keeping up with this thread. Here is my meager contribution:

The Lighthouse Witches - C. J. Cooke
The Cardiff Killings - Gaynor Torrance
The Stroke of Winter - Wendy Webb
We - Yevgeny Zamyatin
A Wizard of Earthsea - Ursula K Le Guin
The Tomb of Atuan - Ursula K Le Guin
The Farthest Shore - Ursula K Le Guin
Tehanu - Ursula K Le Guin
Novelist as a Vocation - Haruki Murakami
The Other Wind - Ursula K Le Guin
Tales from Earthsea - Ursula K Le Guin
Out of Ashes - Kara Thomas
House of Gold - C. T. Rwizi
The Lighthouse - Ron Ripley
The Stars my Destination - Alfred Bester
Hospital - Han Song
Tokyo Express - Seicho Matsumoto
Nexus and Other Stories - Various
Lighthouse Burning - Jordan Farmer
Meru - S. B. Divya
Reaper Man - Terry Pratchett
Hide - Tracy Clark
The Haunting of Highdown Hall - Shani Struthers
The Town of Griswold - Ron Ripley
Things Have Gotten Worse Since we Last Spoke - Eric LaRocca
The Haunting of Bechdel Mansion - Roger Hayden
Sanford Asylum - Ron Ripley

I thought the Earthsea Saga was very good, really enjoyed reading that one.

Gertrude Perkins posted:

1 - My Sister, The Serial Killer, by Oyinkan Braithwaite

Did you enjoy this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
I did! It was really engrossing, and understated enough to let the reader fill in the nasty details.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kudos on all the cool reading!

I finished 7 books this year, and they were comics and audiobooks. Hoping to get those numbers up next time! And finish reading a novel too, been a bit over a year since I did.

Here's to a year of more groovy reading folks

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Gertrude Perkins posted:

I did! It was really engrossing, and understated enough to let the reader fill in the nasty details.

Cool. Think I'll be reading that one this year.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Books read in December - 3
Booklord complete! Smashed my actual book target this year but I did find I was favouring shorter books and ignoring others that have been on the shelf for a long time. The challenge has lead me to read a number of books I might never have found otherwise but next year I think I'll be setting a target of 12 and attacking some hefty tomes instead.

42 - It Rides a Pale Horse by Andy Marino - A random recomendation from Instagram of a modern horror and I'd pass on the recommendation. A sculpture artist is comissioned to create something horrific according to centuries old book bound in leather, if he doesn't then his sister will be killed. Things go downhill as he begins the sculpture and everything devolves into eldritch style horror with some really unsettling moments.

43 - The Liminal Zone by Juni Ito - Another collection of horror manga, originally created for the web if I recall correctly. Not my favourite set but still fun to read

44 - The Warlock's Wench by Evelyn Stewart Armstrong - I was struggling to find something for the name part of the challenge and thought it would be funny to pick this up and pretend I expected wizard pirates. I actually expected historical smut based on the coverart and blurb but it's more of a historical romance drama that I ended up liking more than I expected. I liked the main character Gentian as she had luck like a yo-yo who seemed stronger than the damsel in distress the book might have wanted her to be most of the time.

1. Set a goal for number of books or another personal challenge. - 44/35 (complete)
2. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 25% of them are not written by men. - 13/9 (complete)
3. Of the books you read this year, make sure a least 25% of them are written by writers of color. - 10/9 (complete)
4. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 8% of them are written by LGBTQ writers. - 4/3 (complete)
5. Read something that is not a novel (i.e. a play, a poetry collection, a comic/manga, etc.) - 7 (complete)
6. Borrow something to read (from a friend, a loved one, a library, etc.) - 2 (complete)
7. Lend or recommend a book to someone (tell the thread what you lended/recommended!) - Berserk Deluxe Vol. 1 (complete)
8. Read something over 400 pages - 3 (complete)
9. Read something by an author with the same or similar name as you (can be just first, middle, last, a nickname, whatever) - The Warlock's Wench (complete)
10. Read a work in translation - 7 (complete)
11. Read something that someone you know HATES - Death of a Salesman (complete)
12. Read something about books - One of Our Thursdays is Missing (complete)
13. Ask the thread for a Wildcard - Lathe of Heaven (complete)
14. Read a book published the year you turned 23 years old - Smoke and Mirrors (complete)

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
It's great to see people's end-of-year updates rolling in! I'll have the new thread posted later tonight hopefully, but feel free to keep putting your wrap ups here.

I finished 8 books in December much to my surprise. I also finally managed to wrap up my own challenges, hah. That brings my total for the year to 110, which I'm also surprised by!

103. Desolation Island by Patrick O'Brian
Fifth of the Aubrey/Maturin books. This one had some harrowing sea combat in it, and a lot of illness. Mild spoiler, but I was surprised that the titular island didn't even get mentioned until nearly the very end of the book. Managed to have a cute ending!

104. The Bad-rear end Librarians of Timbuktu: And Their Race to Save the World's Most Precious Manuscripts by Joshua Hammer
A book about books! Despite the title, this ended up being maybe 75% about the political climate in North Africa and how the past handful of decades led to the growth of various terrorist and religious extremist groups. There was information about the antique manuscripts being collected, preserved, and saved from being destroyed, but it certainly wasn't the bulk of the book. Very informative, but not the information I was expecting to get.

105. Ada Blackjack: A True Story of Survival in the Arctic by Jennifer Niven
This was.... uhhh. So Ada Blackjack was a lone Inuit woman who was hired to be the housekeeper for an incredibly stupid arctic expedition to Wrangel Island. She ended up having to survive entirely on her own, starting with almost no survival knowledge to start out with. It's a great story! But I really wasn't a fan of how Niven told it. She used the foreward to justify her use of "Eskimo" through the text even though she acknowledged it's an outdated and even offensive term when she wrote the book, which was kinda gross. She also seemed pretty lenient about the awful ways that the white men on the expedition treated Ada. I dunno, I feel like it's worth learning Ada's story but this book might not be the best place for it.

106. Facing East from Indian Country: A Native History of Early America by Daniel K. Richter
What it says on the tin -- early colonial history focusing on the experiences of Native peoples. I have a vague sense that this book was pretty influential, and I think the fact that a lot of these stories and narratives weren't entirely unknown to me could very well be the result of its influence. This didn't go super deep on any one period or topic, but it did give a good, broad overview I think, especially if you've only heard the European perspective before.

107. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
I have never rage-read a book so quickly before just to get it over with and I have only myself to blame here. This was my "book someone you know HATES." I don't know what to say about this without just going on the I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream hatred rant. If you want to see something utterly bizarre, the amount of well-reasoned and thought out one-star Goodreads reviews of this book where Cline's fans have come in to just spam variations of "YOU ARE WRONG. IDIOT." is sure something.

108. Pinball by Gary Flower and Bill Kurtz
Borrowed this from a family friend who collects pinball machines. This is short-but-informative history of pinball with plenty of photo examples. It was published in 1988 though, so it's obviously missing how much pinball has continued to advance and grow in the past 35~ years. A near overview of how it went from gambling to an actual game of skill though!

109. Wyrm by Gretchen Felker-Martin
This was a patreon-exclusive novella. What a blast. It's set in medieval England, but some mysterious people in a large metal ship (in the end it's implied they are maybe what was left of Atlantis) gifted dinosaurs to the English decades previously. It's gnarly and gross and most of the main characters have some really dysfunctional emotional/sexual relationships with each other (fair warning there). War mount dinosaurs, pet velociraptors, bear-baiting but with carnotaurus. It's gruesome but also a lot of fun if you like hosed up depressing fantasy.

110. The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins
Less gnarly, but still a very violent take on modern fantasy. This one is sort of hard to describe, but it's basically a look at what happens when an all-powerful wizard (but not technically?) kidnaps a bunch of children and forces them to learn what we might consider magic. And the fallout from that. A bit uneven in parts, but definitely does something I haven't seen any other modern-setting fantasy attempt. Worth checking out if you want something different!

PROMPTS

1. Set a goal for number of books or another personal challenge - :toot: 110/52 :toot:
2. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 25% of them are not written by men. (~51/110)
3. Of the books you read this year, make sure a least 25% of them are written by writers of color. (~32/110)
4. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 8% of them are written by LGBTQ writers. (~33/110)

5. Read something that is not a novel - The Madman's Gallery
6. Borrow something to read - Witch Hat Atelier #2
7. Lend or recommend a book to someone - I got 2 friends to start reading Moby Dick!
8. Read something over 400 pages - Kushiel's Dart definitely qualifies
9. Read something by an author with the same or similar name as you - Hexarchate Stories by Yoon Ha Lee
10. Read a work in translation - Solaris by Stanisław Lem
11. Read something that someone you know HATES - Ready Player One
12. Read something about books - The Bad-rear end Librarians of Timbuktu
13. Ask the thread for a Wildcard - The Gone World
14. Read a book published the year you turned 23 years old - Wool by Hugh Howey

THEMES

- Surreal - The Complete Stories of Leonora Carrington
- Adventure - Thin Air
- Informational - The Time Traveller's Guide to Medieval England
- Uplifting - Gathering Moss
- Tragic - In Harm's Way
- Seasonal - Leech (Winter was a very relevant plot point)
- Scary - The Ghost Map
- Comforting - Legends & Lattes
- Celestial - The Blazing World
- Chthonic - Hollow

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

Sliding into the new year and ever so slightly missing the booklord goals. Oh well, still a fun year!

1. The King of Attolia | Megan Whalen Turner
2. A Conspiracy of Kings | Megan Whalen Turner
3. Thick as Thieves | Megan Whalen Turner
4. Jade Legacy | Fonda Lee
5. Return of the Thief | Megan Whalen Turner
6. The Aeronauts Windlass | Jim Butcher
7. Mistborn: Secret History | Brandon Sanderson
8. Star Wars: Thrawn Ascendancy | Timothy Zahn
9. Sea of Tranquility | Emily St. John Mandel
10. The Wicked + The Divine | Kieron Gillen
11. The Law | Jim Butcher
12. Children of Memory | Adrian Tchaikovsky
13. The Atlas Six | Olivie Blake
14. The Atlas Paradox | Olivie Blake
15. The Black Company | Glen Cook
16. Shadows Linger | Glen Cook
17. This is How you Lose the Time War | Amal El-Mohar & Max Gladstone
18. Court of Roses and Thorns | Sarah J Maas
19. All Systems Red | Martha Wells
20. Artificial Condition | Martha Wells
21. Of Slicing Men | Eric Ugland
22. The Sorcerer of Pyongyang | Marcel Theroux
23. A Court of Wings and Ruin | Sarah J Maas
24. A Court of Silver Flames | Sarah J Maas
25. The Dirty Streets of Heaven | Tad Williams
26. A Connecticut Yankee in King Author’s Court | Mark Twain
27. Scythe | Neal Shusterman
28. Happy Hour in Hell | Tad Williams
29. Thunderhead | Neal Shusterman
30. Sleeping Late on Judgement Day | Tad Williams
31. The Long Way to a Small and Angry Planet | Becky Chambers
32. A Closed and Common Orbit | Becky Chambers
33. The Toll | Neal Shusterman
34. Hultichia | Marshall Ryan Maresca
35. Lords and Ladies | Terry Pratchett
36. Record of a Spaceborn Few | Becky Chambers
37. The Galaxy and the Ground Within | Becky Chambers
38. A Psalm for the Wild Built | Becky Chambers
39. Port of Shadows | Glen Cook
40. Victory City | Salman Rushdie
41. Darktown Funk | Eric Ugland
42. On a Throne of Lies | Eric Ugland
43. Fledgling | Octavia E. Butler
44. A Desolation Called Piece | Arkady Martine
45.The Terraformers | Annalee Newitz
46. Downbelow Station | C.J. Cherryh
47. Autonomous | Analee Newitz
48. The Poppy War | R.F. Kuang
49. Dungeon Crawler Carl | Matt Dinnimin
50. Carl’s Doomsday Scenario | Matt Dinnimin
51. The Dungeon Anarchist’s Cookbook | Matt Dinnimin
52. The Gate of the Feral Gods | Matt Dinnimin
53. The Butcher’s Masquerade | Matt Dinnimin
54. The Eye of the Bedlam Bride | Matt Dinnimin
55. The Empress of Salt and Fortune | Nghi Vo
56. Light Bringer | Pierce Brown
57. Salute the Dark | Adrian Tchaikovsky
58. When the Tiger Came Down the Mountain | Nghi Vo
59. Into the Riverlands | Nghi Vo
60. Mammoths at the Gates | Nghi Vo
61. The Many Deaths of Laila Starr | Ram V.
62. The Adventures of Amina Al-Sirafi | Shannon Chakraborty
63. Witch King | Martha Wells
64. The Grim Guys | Eric Ugland
65. The Wizard Hunters | Martha Wells
66. The Ships of Air | Martha Wells
67. The Gate of the Gods | Martha Wells
68. The Witness for the Dead | Katherine Addison
69. Yumi and the Nightmare Painter | Brandon Sanderson
70. The Sunlit Man | Brandon Sanderson
71. Tress and the Emerald Sea | Brandon Sanderson
72. Blood Ink Sister Scribe | Emma Törzs

Current Booklord Status:

1. 72/52
2. 34/72 (47%) “not by men” (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 9, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23, 24, 31, 32, 36, 37, 38, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 55, 58, 59, 60, 62, 63, 65, 66, 67, 68, 72)
3. 13/72 (18%) Author is POC (4, 13, 14, 27, 29, 33, 40, 43, 48, 55, 58, 59, 60)
4. 9/72 (12%) LBGTQ (31, 32, 36, 37, 38, 45, 47, 55, 58,)
5. Not a Novel: The Wicked + The Divine (10)
6. Borrow Something to Read: “A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court” (26)
7. Lend or recommend a book to someone: My partner read “Anathem” by Neil Stevenson (and as an academic found it hilarious)
8. Read something over 400 Pages: A Court of Wings and Ruin (23)
9. Read something by an author with the same or similar name as you
10. Read a work in translation: ________
11. A book I know a friend hated (Literally all of the Sanderson books)
12. About Books: “The Sorcerer of Pyongyang” (22)
13. Wildcard: “The Empress of Salt and Fortune” (55)
14. Published in 2010: “A Conspiracy of Kings” (2)

I had a lot of fun with the challenge. I'm a little bummed I didn't prioritize finding a few things to finish out the three categories that I missed. Binging a bunch of Sanderson books on tape at the very end there certainly didn't help the percentages.

e. Woops. Forgot one.

The Strangest Finch fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 2, 2024

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Missed my goal :sigh: but 18 is a good haul I think.

1: Shattered Sword
2: Oil!
3: Before the Coffee gets cold
4: Steppenwolf
5: Solaris
6: Twilight of the Gods
7: The King Must die
8: The Importance of being Earnest.
9: Nixonland
10: Heart of Darkness and other Tales.
11: The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
12: Things fall apart.
13: Don Quixote
14: Ringworld
15: Battle cry of Freedom
16: Suttree
17:Rocannons world.
18:History of food in 100 dishes.

Lotta weighty tomes on that list, Solaris and the king must die were probably my favorites with Don Quixote just being an actual chore to read. Glad to finally read Suttree and Steppenwolf as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RailtraceR30
Feb 10, 2023

meirl staring down the deadline of my lifeline.
Missed True Booklord by One Book, but I more than met my goal, especially thanks to the power of Fan Fiction!

#36- Pictures At A Revolution: Five Movies and the Birth of the New Hollywood, by Mark Harris |
:: Well plotted and incredibly informative snapshot of one year at the movies, focusing on the Best Picture nominees from the year of our lord 1967. Very incisive of the state of Hollywood's nonsense, from the bloated anachronism of Doctor Dolittle to the half-measures of Stanley Kramer and Norman Jewison weaponising Sidney Poitier in two separate nominees. Loved hearing about the behind the scenes trash fire that was the production of Doctor Dolittle. [audiobook/hoopla]

#37- the Twenty Days of Turin, by Giorgio De Maria |
:: Spooky neodystopia from when ITaly was besieged by revolts in the 60s and 70s. May have predicted an analog for social media, but also reminded this one of The Strain in its final pages. [Hardback]

#38- Congruent, by Ao3 user sincosma |
:: Yepp, here we go. So around the end of July, I found myself unemployed. In an attempt to rejigger my headspace, I took a gamble and accepted an invitation to Archive Of Our Own, a respected repository of fanfiction, and the mental illness compounded from there. Now, as a peace offering, I'm only counting single works towards this that exceeded 90,000 words; that's 3x the length of Of Mice and Men, and that's generous, in my eyes.
RE: the text itself. A homoerotic adventure of intrigue with Link and Sheik post-Ocarina of Time, oh but this time Sheik is a separate, (male!), character and not a separate aspect of Her Royal Highness Princess Zelda Hyrule. Toys around with the darkness present in Ocarina and later Majora's Mask, the latter of which is in my gaming backlog and I'm aware of by reputation. Maybe I'll get to it in '24. Liked it well, though I personally don't vibe with fanon messing with Sheik's canon character. Aight, I spose. [Web]

#39- Unbroken, by Ao3 user DeiliaMedlini |
:: More Zelda fanfic, but this takes a grounded approach to Link and Zelda coming together to escape Ganondorf's hostile takeover of her kingdom and rousing a force all their own to take it back. Solid base for a medieval fantasy, though it touches on almost everything in the canon, except most of the supernatural fantasy that makes Legend of Zelda what it is at heart, notably a specific sword is missing from the narrative, and by extension the reincarnation prophecy thread of it all. Definitely recommending this to some of my more offbeat fandom friends. [Web]

#40- the Library of the Unwritten, by AJ Hackwith |
:: Alongside my fanfiction addiction, this singlehandedly revived my interest in literature as a whole. Can't wait to be dragged by others on here for not reading enough Real Literature, whoof. Hell's Librarian has to chase characters that escape her workplace. Awesome concept. Characters are beautiful and awful and i love them all. [eBook/Libby]

#41- My Alcoholic Escape from Reality, by Nagata Kabi |
:: Nagata-san returns, and her life is still a mess. Poor girl just can't catch a break. Love her storytelling still, as harrowing as it is. [Trade Paperback]

#42- the Lies of Locke Lamora, by Scott Lynch |
:: My godson's recommendation to me. Thieves cause trouble in fantasy Venice. A unique spin on the fantasy malarkey, with a defined dark, rippling edge to the proceeds. [Hardcover]

#43- Manacled, by Ao3 user senlinyu |
:: Decided since I dove headfirst into this fandom fiction spiral, I found myself curious to read a selection of the most popular titles on the archive. This be the second most popular piece of fandom fiction from the Rowlingverse on the archive. A Bad Ending with Intrigue for a small cast of survivors from the Wizard War. Handmaid's Tale but with Wizards n shyt. And Non Consensual Sex. Though, the narrative makes a bold choice in its structure that dares to recontextualize that squick. And I respect the effort. Not a fan of this pairing on the surface, but I read it to see what the people of Ao3 considered exceptional, and I can't deny it those marks. [Web/eBook]

#44- Life, Animated, by Ron Suskind |
:: Madre put this forward for her recommendation for my yearly reading. I love her dearly. This book, not so much. I bristle at raw sentimentality, especially when it comes to portraying mental illness and especially Autism. This book is not my experience, so it's difficult to parse through it without coming across like a dick. This family's life is very rose-colored. Not to say they are naive and have no problems day to day, but the portrayal came across as cringe, to the point I had to switch from the audiobook to the eBook, because I could not vibe with the author's active narration in the moment. [eBook]

#45- the Princess Who Carries the Blood of the Goddess, by Ao3 user theLoudGuy |
:: Now we're getting into that good fic! A retelling of the plot of Breath of the Wild, but Princess Zelda was put into the Shrine instead of Link. Now she has to journey, with her ninja best friend's granddaughter Paya, to save the world from a monstrous apocalypse held off by a century long fight of her valiant knight in Hyrule Castle. Thrilling prose, insidiously good characterisation and interaction. Fell hard for this one. [eBook]

#46- Deku? I think he's some pro..., by Ao3 user Clouds |
:: More good fic. And with such a compact high concept. Deku (My Hero Academia) remains quirkless, but insists on becoming a quirkless/powerless superhero anyway. Love my boy living the good life, regardless of the complications the superheroic world assaults him with daily. [eBook]

#47- Tomie, by Ito Junji |
:: This year's spooky season reading. Ito knows how to crawl under the skin, and Tomie has some potent spooks, specializing in body horror, in spades. [Hardcover]

#48- the Contortionist's Handbook, by Craig Clevenger |
:: This was a rec from a podcast friend, and I came around to digging its brand of anxiety. Acerbic prose lent itself to genuine thrills as the plot compacts inward and our protag attempts to escape with all 21 of his digits intact. [audiobook/hoopla]

#49- Viridian: the Green Guide, by Ao3 user Clouds |
:: Back at it again, baby. This time Deku is still quirkless, but he opts for the vigilante route, to the eternal chagrin of accidental mentor Aizawa Shouta/Eraserhead. Suicidal Deku hits the streets in order to live his dream, as long as it can possibly last. Clouds gets this fandom. [eBook]

#50- Life in Zora's Domain, by Ao3 user Andremoi |
:: The things I read for fandom. 920,000+ words. And half of the time I wished for an editor to come in and trim most of the unimaginative prose, which often repeated information the audience was already privy to, because the author is an amateur and I am bougie for expecting a modicum of editing capability. The plot here isn't a bad idea. A What If scenario involving Link going all Ocarina of Time to reunite with his actual beloved, Princess Mipha of the Zora (uh huh, okay). Narrative has some neat ideas, Link's family with Mipha has a couple of very cute and likeable OCs. External forces threaten the peace and he has to take up the sword, again, much to his family's discomfort. I was begging for the author to eventually get a Beta to give this a once over, but it never happened. The repetition continued, the plot expanded, I sighed in exhaustion. Could have easily been cut down to less than 400,000 words if anyone had given a hoot. [eBook]

#51- Breaking the Cycle, by Ao3 user quietpastelcolours |
:: Ah here we go. A Pairing I do not support, written thoughtfully enough for my grudging respect. Like if Manacled wasn't as ambitious with its narrative thrust. In other words, it's fine I guess. Will be recommending to an author acquaintance who will no doubt fall head over heels for it. [eBook]

#52- Films of Endearment: A Mother, a Son, and the 80s Films That Defined Us, by Michael Koresky |
:: Discovered a few insights into the author's relationship with his madre and even discovered one or two films that had fallen by the wayside of history. Success! [eBook/Libby]

#53- the Tragedy of Link and Zelda, by fanfiction.net user zelinkoot |
:: Technically three works, but I'm counting them as Book I, Book II, and the Epilogue of one classical tragic volume. Broke my heart in Book I, ground me to powder by the end of Book II, sobbed openly at the epilogue. It hurt to read, as someone suffering from ZeLink brainrot every hour every day. [Web]

#54- All the Young Dudes, by Ao3 user MsKingBean89 |
:: The most popular fic on Ao3 by kudos. A 'canon compliant' exploration of the Marauders, James Potter, Sirius Black, Peter Pettigrew, and POV character Remus Lupin from Year 1 at Hogwarts up through Book 5 of the Potter books. Solid. Not my thing really, but character writing does what it sets out to, and the melodrama sure does melo. [eBook]

#55- In Cold Blood, by Truman Capote |
:: Fulfilling the Something Borrowed requirement, gracias madre! Another solid one. Curious how this compares to the rest of Capote, seeing as this is my first experience with their voice. [Hardcover]

#56- Yesterday Upon the Stair, by Ao3 user PitViperOfDoom
:: Final read of the year was one of the most rewarding fics I came across on all of Ao3. Another High Concept Deku fic; what if our favorite green haired good boi had The Sixth Sense? Reading all this assortment of fic really made apparent how all fanfiction struggles with the pull of constants and variables. Things in the base plot must happen, distinguished characters must act a certain way, but with their unique spin on the proceeds, the story can hum and purr like a completely different cat at the zoo. [eBook]

Challenge Endgame
2- Not Male Author, COMPLETE
3- Author of Color, COMPLETE
4- LGBTQ+, COMPLETE
5- Not a Book, COMPLETE
6- Something Borrowed, COMPLETE
7- Recommended, I mean that's what this counts as, I think anyway. Recommended several books over the year to friends (Rise of Kyoshi to one of my besties, I'm buying mi madre copies of East of Eden and Les Miserables for her 70th birfday), but cannot confirm if anyone I spoke to followed up, save for some short ficlets on Ao3, and those were too short for even my earlier generosity. -shrug-
8- 400+ pgs, COMPLETE
9- Name's the Same, ran out of time sorry
10- Translation, COMPLETE
11- Hated Work, COMPLETE
12- About Books, Library of the Unwritten
13- Wildcard, COMPLETE
14- the Year I Turned 23, Silver Screen Fiend

Theming,
Adventurous: 23 [storygraph claims Henry IV P1 qualifies, but I'm hesitant to disqualify P2 and V]
Celestial: 2
Chthonic: 1
Comforting: 1
Informational: 8
Scary/Spooky: 7
Surreal: 8
Tragic: 20

RailtraceR30 posted:

Checking in at the 2/3rds mark to rattle off my progress.

#22- My Solo Exchange Diary, by Nagata Kabi |
:: Part of my manga challenge I'm running simultaneously. Kabi is my favorite working mangaka. After my lovely time reading My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness two years back, I've been anxiously awaiting an excuse to continue and this title continues that tradition of extrapolatory anxiety exorcism. Delightfully troubling and horribly relatable. [Trade Paperback]

#23- Silver Screen Fiend, by Patton Oswalt |
:: Oswalt can tend to get obnoxious in the wrong forum, but here he knows to modulate and keep sincerity at the forefront of his recollections. Final Appendix detailing his idealized film festival in the afterlife for his friend the cinema operator was lovely. Fulfilled the book published the year I turned 23 regulation. [Audible]

#24- Wolf Children Ame and Yuki, by Mamoru Hosoda |
:: Unfortunately the first major disappointment of the year thusfar. Read this as prep work for a podcast on Mamoru Hosoda and was disappointed that there really isn't a compelling reason for this to exist. There is no real additional information this adds to the context of the film its based on. It's just the story of the movie minus the wonderful audiovisual elements that make the film a near-masterwork. Bland writing style, and impersonal voice of the writer make the reading feel perfunctory without allowing readers to feel like they accomplished something by reading this. [Hardcover]

#25- the Remains of the Day, by Kazuo Ishiguro |
:: My first Ishiguro. A neat little drama of etiquette and morality that lends itself to the written word remarkably. Been circling the Merchant-Ivory production for years. Ishiguro definitely someone I wish to catch up on, after appreciating this alongside their work in film, adaptation-wise. [Audiobook/Libby]

#26- les Guérillères, by Monique Wittig |
:: This be the Wildcard I was assigned and I went in almost completely blind. Never took any authentic Womens' Studies courses or even read more than a paragraph from The Feminine Mystique, so it was a new experience to wrap my head around. Curious how the stanzas and oblique formatting add even more surreality to a parable (?) about militarized lesbians who keep men prisoners as pets of a sort, and that's practically glossed over in the prose it gives. [Hardcover]

#27- Kill All Normies: Online Culture Wars from 4chan and Tumblr to Trump and the Alt-Right, by Angela Nagle |
:: This here constitutes the work that someone I know, in this very forum actually, hates. Personally, I came away from it quite underwhelmed, but short of active disdain.
Can certainly see the critiques about its most shallow approach to the Internet circles circa 2010-2017, especially how minimally they indicate GamerGate as the dogwhistle rallying cry it was. Foundational text it is not. Perhaps seeking out more journalistic explorations from peer-reviewed works would produce more good info? [Audiobook/hoopla]

#28- the Tempest, by William Shakespeare |
:: A show I was watching week to week was borrowing liberally from this particular work, so I scratched the itch to acquaint myself with the original text before said television series wrapped. Am really blazing through the Bard this year. It remains formulaic and does not mess around with much of the foundational elements from say Twelfth Night. The lowbrow subplot was not as engaging to me as I could hope for, but that is more likely my own taste interfering with my appreciation. The concept of Ariel as a Puck entity struck me, given how wildly different Mobile Suit Gundam - The Witch From Mercury utilized that namesake. I want to talk with my Caribbean drama scholar friend about Caliban; I know they have thoughts. [Audiobook/hoopla]

#29- Metamorphosis (a.k.a. Emergence), by ShindoL |
:: Picked it up because it was the most popular hentai graphic novel on MAL and I was curious to sample it as such. Going forward, I quickly regretted not doing any additional research. If you thought Requiem for a Dream needed more non-consensual (rape) action, and did not get bleak enough for your taste, ShindoL has you covered, for better and worse. Art and construction are ludicrously detailed, but in service of a story that feels sleazy and awkwardly preachy in equal measure. Came away feeling like I needed a powerwashing and additional therapy. Going to be wary if I ever see ShindoL attached to anything going forward. If you do seek it out, consider concluding with the fanmade ending that ties it into JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, as a palette cleanse. [Trade Paperback]

#30- Lonely Castle in the Mirror, by Mizuki Tsujimura |
:: Caught the animated adaptation of this in theaters. Came away puzzled by my muted reaction, considering how much I was enjoying the story being told in concept. But the adaptation was missing something, and to chase that hunch, I purchased the original work on Audible mere days later to pursue said hunch. My gut turned out to be correct. The story of this Eastern YA novel is well-paced, structured ingeniously, knows when to crank the melodrama (oh boy do I love me a melodrama), and I found myself sobbing come the epilogue chapter. Now, waterworks does not guarantee a masterwork; certain specific tropes can work the whirlwind on unsuspecting consumers. But I can say without doubt that the original novel is a damned good work all its own, and having glanced at the manga adaptation, can label the film adaptation as skippable as a result. One of two works focusing on bullying at a certain age to potently affect me this year. [Audible]

#31- Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch, by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman |
:: Have yet to actively dive into both Pratchett and Gaiman's literature, so thought this would be a worthy introduction. Charming, clever, uproariously ridiculous, a farce with its heart on its sleeve. The dynamic between Aziraphale and Crowley is a terrible hoot to experience. The plot with the child Antichrist is equal parts horrifying and disarmingly fun. Love to find out the reviews sell this one correctly. [Audiobook/hoopla]

#32- UИNATURAL Omnibus, by Mirka Andolfo |
:: A comic that ended up in my purview due to lewd reputation, even though while it deals with adult situations, yes, it's more just plain mature than just furry eroge. Girl in dystopic Zootopia needs to find a mate or be punished by the totalitarians in power. Oh, and she's also possessed by a generational ancestor's lover who wants to control her life for bloodthirsty reasons as well as biological ones. Solid as hell beginning that outright murders some of the more intriguing characters early on just to mix up the progression, which I found bold but annoying. Middle segment onward is very episodic stop/go, and the shot pacing can affect the story for the lesser. Worth a read, sure. Curious how that currently publishing sequel series plays out. [eBook/hoopla]

#33- the Demon, by Hubert Selby, Jr. |
:: Namedropped another Selby earlier in my Metamorphosis words, but this was another recommendation from a friend. First Selby. Lack of quotation marks in print took me a while to parse. Walks the line of leering character drama to heartfelt coming-of-maturity story all the way back to depraved morality tale like a spastic yo-yo overall. [Hardcover]

#34- All the Pretty Horses, by Cormac McCarthy |
:: My first Cormac McCarthy. Solid south of the border intrigue / laidback tragic western yarn. Mostly came to this on reputation from its mishandled Miramax film adaptation that was cut to two hours by producers who did not respect the material. The rhythm of the text put me in a lull of sorts. So much so that I nearly had to backtrack minutes at a time to reaffirm what had just occurred, though that could just be my dire ADHD. [Audiobook/hoopla]

#35- the Murder of Roger Ackroyd, by Agatha Christie |
:: Love me a Poirot story read by Richard Armitage, and his professional approach to these stories boosts their charm greatly. Cannot recommend the Armitage Audible editions at all higher. [Audible+]

Challenge Status
2- Not Male Author, 10/13
3- Author of Color, 11/13
4- LGBTQ+, COMPLETE
5- Not a Book, COMPLETE
8- 400+ pgs, COMPLETE
10- Translation, COMPLETE
11- Hated Work, COMPLETE
13- Wildcard, COMPLETE
Theming,
Adventurous: 11 [storygraph claims Henry IV P1 qualifies, but I'm hesitant to disqualify P2 and V]
Celestial: 2
Chthonic: 1
Comforting: 1
Informational: 5
Scary: 3
Surreal: 4
Tragic: 10

RailtraceR30 fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 4, 2024