Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Would like to help Nighthand refresh/reinvigorate our online moneymaking thread.

Would be great if people can contribute any new sites or ways to make money on the side. Or even things that could grow into something more.

A lot of the old sites or hacks have died off, or at least become extremely challenging grinds. However, in the past we have had discussions about all sorts of opportunities that made goons a ton of money. I'm sure there has to be new stuff out there.

Baddog fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Self publishing and blogging threads were definitely goon success stories, but the market seems to have gotten saturated.

I think there was a guide to dropshipping around somewhere, but again, has been driven into the ground (please correct me if I'm wrong!)

Probably want to separate out speculation/market stuff for Nighthand's thread and concentrate more on "if you put in the effort, you will get paid" opportunities. Although I do like anything that has a market I can trade in! And we can talk about those here as well. I was a huge fan of predictit (big thread for it in CSPAM of all places - since it was mostly political markets), but it is probably getting shut down in a month. I managed to *almost* breakeven with prosper way back, but unless it has gotten *much* better I wouldn't recommend it at all. I'm currently trading on masterworks, but there is a big (amusing) article here that indicates they are in trouble. https://www.artnews.com/list/art-news/news/what-is-masterworks-fractional-art-finance-company-1234651524/

Baddog fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 7, 2023

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

anyone know someone who has 2+ full-time WFH jobs and is just making it work, with or without knowledge by the employers?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

pmchem posted:

anyone know someone who has 2+ full-time WFH jobs and is just making it work, with or without knowledge by the employers?

Man, it seems like the well is dry even for "picking up 5 bucks on the side while I'm stuck on this conference call"!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Baddog posted:

Man, it seems like the well is dry even for "picking up 5 bucks on the side while I'm stuck on this conference call"!

My current side gig is banned from discussion on SA. The admins have been quite clear, in QCS and ADTRW, that a certain form of streaming is not to be discussed. :shrug:

As a former self-pubber who made his $$$ and then quit, the self-pub stuff is well and truly saturated, and every competitor to Amazon got wiped out in terms of market-share. It's generally not what it used to be, and it's more a full-time gig than a side-gig now. If you don't take it super seriously (and even then not likely), you're not going to make anything approaching meaningful revenue from it anymore.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I honestly thing part of it is with the pandemic, a ton of jobs shifted to or are more open to remote work, so the distinction between online moneymaking gigs like what the thread talks about and just traditional jobs done remotely has blurred a lot. It mostly comes down to just the difference between "remote employee" and "freelancer", and even then there are companies hiring writers and such as employees these days too.

pmchem posted:

A writer friend of mine has racked up something like five "full-time" content marketing jobs for companies, but apparently none of these companies have any idea how much effort anything takes so they apologize for the huge workload of writing 10 tweets in a month and call that full time, so it's hard to count as the same sort of employment.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Sundae posted:

My current side gig is banned from discussion on SA. The admins have been quite clear, in QCS and ADTRW, that a certain form of streaming is not to be discussed. :shrug:

As a former self-pubber who made his $$$ and then quit, the self-pub stuff is well and truly saturated, and every competitor to Amazon got wiped out in terms of market-share. It's generally not what it used to be, and it's more a full-time gig than a side-gig now. If you don't take it super seriously (and even then not likely), you're not going to make anything approaching meaningful revenue from it anymore.

How big of a market IS there in cake fart streaming?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

therobit posted:

How big of a market IS there in cake fart streaming?

:lol:

Only two viewers, but my god they're whales. BRB gotta ship last stream's fart-cake to a dude in Ohio. He paid $750 for the leftovers.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

I feel fairly pessimistic about finding my dream gig of doing random, menial internet things for 20 hours a week or so on my schedule just to make an easy part-time income that supplements my partner's meaningful income.

Sorry I don't have more to offer this thread, but I am watching with bated breath.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Baddog posted:

I'm currently trading on masterworks, but there is a big (amusing) article here that indicates they are in trouble. https://www.artnews.com/list/art-news/news/what-is-masterworks-fractional-art-finance-company-1234651524/

honestly surprised you got into any kind of fractional market stuff. it all seems so scammy.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Strong Sauce posted:

honestly surprised you got into any kind of fractional market stuff. it all seems so scammy.

Man, I played on full tilt! But there is actually legit vc money behind these guys, and more importantly, SEC filings on every artwork which you can look up.

I am on a first name basis with their support folks though! It is indeed a bit wild west. Please, no one dump 50k into a banksy and then yell at me if the site goes bankrupt next month. Also, it complicates the poo poo out of your taxes. A k1 for each painting, and they were very late last year.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Baddog posted:

dump 50k into a banksy and then yell at me

You got it boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Banksy then shreds the painting and gives each owner their % by weight.