Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Got the same vibe, second guessed it for the same reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.
It seems pretty left open to interpretation. So far the show is pretty chaste though which might be why it's just strongly implied instead of declared.

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
I feel like it's building to "FYI you will be immortal and that will suck somehow" given Lumi looks to be unaging somehow. And Idk I'm not picking up the gay vibe from Magenta, it feels more like there is some other unpleasant consequence beyond immortality that he didn't want to pay the price of?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

a pipe smoking dog posted:

So the implication here is that Euphie and Anis' dads were lovers? Or am I misreading just how gay this series is?

Nah they were def hinting towards it

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Great episode, I'm totally back on board with this show. And yeah I definitely agree at the hinting towards having Euphie and Anis' dads be former lovers. I am very curious to know what the price of the spirit contract is that Euphie will be entering into.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Well we have vampires now, so maybe zombie?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Yawgmoft posted:

Well we have vampires now, so maybe zombie?

Alternately Liches. Very pretty Liches.

Lumi is totally either the progenitor of either the current dynasty or a previous one

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

looks like immortality sucks rear end. IT'S TIME TO DUEL

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Gonna be honest, I'm really not feeling this current drama.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Gonna be honest, I'm really not feeling this current drama.

the spirit contract feels like a contrived way to set up a euphie/anis duel for the throne and also further their relationship and motivations. this is another instance where magirevo seems more interested in emotional story beats than making sure the plot is tight - i don't totally mind this because the emotional stuff does have a decent hit rate for me, but i wish it was plotted better.

people have mentioned that we've gone through three volumes of the ln, and i'm at the point where i've seen enough that i think it would have been effective to write the algard fight as a climax for s1 and give everything else more room to breathe. wonder what the climax of this arc will be to indicate otherwise.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Aside from the fight with her brother, it just feels like Anis' cool dragon powers have been entirely forgotten about. A far more interesting personal conflict would be "should I use my power to force the change I want on an obviously corrupt system"? Instead it's just two girlfriends pouting at each other.

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Aside from the fight with her brother, it just feels like Anis' cool dragon powers have been entirely forgotten about. A far more interesting personal conflict would be "should I use my power to force the change I want on an obviously corrupt system"? Instead it's just two girlfriends pouting at each other.

I mean I am pretty sure it's building to exactly that.

Like, Up until this recent arc, Anis has always been the avatar of 'Be free & do good crimes' and Euphie was the Responsible Good Girl. This arc is about them reversing that, and then meeting in the middle. So now Euphie is the one acting on desire and Anis responsibility. And the clash between them, I expect, will end with them going something like "Fine! Neither of us will back down, and neither of us is willing to let the other sacrifice herself. Fuckit, time for a Revolution and thus the Series Title becomes much more literal.

Anyways greatly loved latest ep, cannot wait for finale, I am so gay for this show

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
yeah idk why they didn't just finish the season with the algard fight and give everything more room to breathe, it's the climax of the plot up to that point and they've had to rush over some things trying to cover this much material

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I skipped through the episode in 3 minutes since it looked boring but when this immortality poo poo came up I assumed that her dragon powers were going to make it so they could at least chill out for a while and the rest of the arc is going to be some contrived drama

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This entire set-up seems impossibly, stupidly contrived and I hope the manga doesn't follow suit. The reason I fell in love with the manga is because of Anis' (sometimes literal) "kick the door in" attitude. Now she's reduced to your typical angst-ridden yuri damsel so we can squeeze as much emotional anguish as possible out of this pairing.

I'm also not seeing a lot of magical revolution going on and we're 10 episodes in.

BTW I actually really recommend the manga. The art style and the world-building do much, much more for the story.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 17, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Yeah, I'm also really unimpressed with this conclusion to the series.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I feel like I'm getting the highlight reel version of the story tbh. Just some big drama scenes with no more than the absolute bare minimum of context and build up.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014

GloomMouse posted:

I feel like I'm getting the highlight reel version of the story tbh. Just some big drama scenes with no more than the absolute bare minimum of context and build up.

Cause at this point you basically are, the anime is cutting out a lot of character stuff and world building to be able to get to the end of volume 3 in 12 episodes.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
It's why I thought the anime would end with Algard, Volume 3 needed at least half a series to explore everyone's emotional arcs. On the other hand, Euphie only becomes a proper character in Volume 3 too, and ending on Algard completely removes it, so I'm not sure what they could have done. This needed 2 seasons.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
This week: the show ends, and Euphie kisses her girlfriend

Overall this wasn’t bad as an adaptation, although I think its short episode count hurts it and it really needed more time. If you’re curious about the series, the anime adapts volumes 1-3 of the light novels. If you wanna pick up where the anime left off, Volume 4 comes out in English next month.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Well the rushed pacing didn't do the show any favors to my mind. Still it scored high marks for having Anis and Euphie be explicitly 100% gay for each other rather than having the relationship banished to the ~subtext~ realm

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

GloomMouse posted:

Well the rushed pacing didn't do the show any favors to my mind. Still it scored high marks for having Anis and Euphie be explicitly 100% gay for each other rather than having the relationship banished to the ~subtext~ realm

In agreement about it feeling rushed but also appreciating the textual lesbian relationship.

Ultimately, I think I wish this show was better than it is, which is okay to fine. I might give the light novels a read once I get further along in studying Japanese.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Southern Cassowary posted:

In agreement about it feeling rushed but also appreciating the textual lesbian relationship.

Ultimately, I think I wish this show was better than it is, which is okay to fine.

I could just :emptyquote: and leave it at that. Since I'm not I'll just go on to say I think it probably would have been possible to cover all this material in a better way. I'm going to be blunt and say I think the pacing is off, it's too slow in bits that needed to be faster and moves too quickly through bits that should have been expanded on. I know it's been said a couple of times that a chunk of the background and world detail was left behind in the adaptation, and I can honestly say I believe that. It felt a little bit too slight, and I feel like the main conflict of the third arc felt like it wasn't framed quite right. The last-minute explanation of why Anis is so self-conscious about her title makes sense, but it feels like this should have been something alluded to earlier.

This is definitely a show where the dream of the show extends beyond the reality of the show and cases like that are always frustrating, yet also fascinating. I don't get the sense there's going to be another season of this, but if there is I'll definitely check it out.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Omnicrom posted:

I could just :emptyquote: and leave it at that. Since I'm not I'll just go on to say I think it probably would have been possible to cover all this material in a better way. I'm going to be blunt and say I think the pacing is off, it's too slow in bits that needed to be faster and moves too quickly through bits that should have been expanded on. I know it's been said a couple of times that a chunk of the background and world detail was left behind in the adaptation, and I can honestly say I believe that. It felt a little bit too slight, and I feel like the main conflict of the third arc felt like it wasn't framed quite right. The last-minute explanation of why Anis is so self-conscious about her title makes sense, but it feels like this should have been something alluded to earlier.

This is definitely a show where the dream of the show extends beyond the reality of the show and cases like that are always frustrating, yet also fascinating. I don't get the sense there's going to be another season of this, but if there is I'll definitely check it out.

Absolutely felt similarly, this was well-put.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think while some finer details and introspection was lost in the rush to get 3 LN's in 12 episodes the show nailed the big key moments and gave us The Kiss so I'm super happy with the show on a whole. Easily my favorite Yuri Light novel anime

Now to figure out how I favor the villainess is going to get all of the first 2 volumes in it's run time

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

I am eminently satisfied with how this ended. It actually went properly gay, and I immensely appreciate that

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Am I the only one who forgot this was an isekai until Anis reminded me?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Am I the only one who forgot this was an isekai until Anis reminded me?

Its an Isekai for the sole purpose of having a very popular tag in the search function.

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

Its an Isekai for the sole purpose of having a very popular tag in the search function.

It has a few other influences, mostly in inspiring Anis to invent things like the Magic Hair Dryer slash Flamethrower, and such

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Some of the cut volume 3 Light Novel content had mentioned that their were other outsider who couldn't speak to spirits like Anis so it could be more of a plot point in later volumes.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Strong finish but overall a weak adaptation. It lacks the manic energy of the manga, this was my criticism of episode 1 and it's my criticism now. Honestly other than the kiss at the end, the viewer would be forgiven for thinking it's another generic yuri anime.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
If they were told flat out you only get 12 episodes, then I have a lot of respect for them saying, essentially, drat the minutia, we are getting to that kiss.

Oddly enough this could have probably benefitted from a 90s style adaptation where they cut the dragon and saved two episodes and replaced it with a two minute "I invented dragon tattoos". It's not like magic meth went anywhere.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Light novel 4 is out in English and it had an amazing Lanie/Ilia chapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

I'll have to pick it up soon, then!