Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

A-2
AD-5
WQE-3
ANY-1
BG-2
BAS-2
BLGBT-3
BR-8
BT-4
C-2
CT-3
G-15
L-25
LG-2
LB-16
MI-5
R-38
ROE-1
TG-5
UKR-3
WD-1
P-20
WO-19
BO-2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
Worst a Thing Happened: A-6.
Worst two Things Happened: AD-4
Worst Queen Elizabeth Cartoon: WQE-4
Most Any Day Now: ANY-2
Least Concealed Bigotry(General): BG-2
Least Concealed Bigotry(Antisemitism): BAS-4
Least Concealed Bigotry(LGBTQ+ other than pure transphobia): BLGBT-2
Least Concealed Bigotry (Race): BR-6
Least Concealed Bigotry(Transphobia): BT-11
Worst Caricature: C-2
Worst Concern Trolling: CT-3
Worst Gaslighting: G-1
Laziest Non-Gorrell: L-10
Laziest Gorrell: LG-1
Worst Label: LB-16
Most Incomprehensible: MI-10
Most Opposite of Reality: OR-10
Most Easily Reinterpreted: R-17
Worst Roe Cartoon: ROE-5
Worst Cartoon about a Tragedy: TG-7
Worst Cartoon about Ukraine: UKR-1
Most Willfully Dense: WD-2
Best Edit/Parody: P-12
Worst Overall: WO-2
Best Overall: BO-13

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
A-6
AD-5
WQE-4
ANY-2
BG-2
BAS-3
BLGBT-4
BR-7
BT-11
C-34
CT-2
G-22
L-20
LG-1
LB-17
MI-17
OR-3
R-29
ROE-5
TG-11
UKR-2
WD-3
P-20
WO-2
BO-12

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

A-6
AD-4
WQE-5
ANY-2
BG-1
BAS-3
BLGBT-5
BR-5
BT-6 (I hate Gorrell's sneering fuckhead Geralds so loving much)
C-22
CT-3
G-1
L-15
LG-1
LB-10
MI-3
OR-2
R-36
ROE-1
TG-4
UKR-1
WD-1
P-27
WO-14
BO-3 (Easily one of the most hosed-up politoons of all time)

Catellite
Apr 29, 2008

If <waves arm expansively> was legalized.
Worst a Thing Happened: A-6 'Domestic Abuse lol' is not a joke.
Worst two Things Happened:AD-5 Not the most offensive, but the laziest 'two things' pairing.
Worst Queen Elizabeth Cartoon:WQE-1 Though it is funny that he got the wrong bear.
Most Any Day Now:ANY-2 At this point I think Bennett might be due a Gorrell-style category exemption.
Least Concealed Bigotry(Antisemitism):BAS-4 Well this is some nazi poo poo.
Least Concealed Bigotry(LGBTQ+ other than pure transphobia):
BLGBT-1 The way he begs the question here is particularly vile.
Least Concealed Bigotry (Race):BR-5 "The KKK weren't so bad" is a take I didn't expect from even the most extreme newspaper-published cartoonists. So congrats to Stiglich, I guess.
Least Concealed Bigotry(Transphobia):BT-6 Gorrell pairs the One Joke with his One Drawing.
Worst Caricature:C-36 Tough competition from the legion of Homers, but this Silent Hill monstrosity is nauseating.
Worst Concern Trolling:CT-3 I think this list might be missing a key ingredient..
Worst Gaslighting:G-23 Firebombing clinics: Definitely a left-wing thing.
Laziest Non-Gorrell:L-25 Everything about this is low-effort even by Rall's stunningly low standards.
Laziest Gorrell:LG-2 Absent both art and thought.
Worst Label:LB-17 The crushing weight of forgiveness is almost a philosophical conundrum.
Most Incomprehensible:MI-21 Genuinely don't understand this, and the closest I can get is I'm certain the opposite of what's meant.
Most Opposite of Reality:OR-1 Ranting about pop-culture ephemera while ignoring corporate malfeasance: Definitely a left-wing thing.
Most Easily Reinterpreted:R-4 Why yes, anti-police protestors are being murdered a lot, now that you mention it.
Worst Roe Cartoon:ROE-5 You agree she needs one, though?
Worst Cartoon about a Tragedy:TG-7 Somehow, "children died just to score a political point against me" is even worse then "We must never talk about politics after tragedies"
Worst Cartoon about Ukraine:UKR-4 Whataboutism at it's purest
Most Willfully Dense:WD-2 Possibly the most unintentionally funny cartoon here.
Best Edit/ParodyP-8 Has to be this one, it's a masterful parody.
Worst Overall:WO-26
Best Overall:BO-12 Luckovich is rarely subtle, but when he is, he's incredible. The Bennett's a close second, though.

Catellite fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 28, 2023

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
A-8, purely because it's difficult to remember what it's even about.

AD-5, Stiglich's racism was a strong contender, but the clunky setup for the two things is much worse in the Heller toon

WQE-1, lots of strong contenders but I had to go with the one that couldn't even bother to get the cartoon bear right

ANY-2

BG-1, the visual bigotry puts it over 3, if only barely

BAS-4, the bloody hands and puppetmaster imagery is much worse than Palpatine

BLGBT-5, this was a hard one. Honestly 1 and 5 are both fairly interchangeable but I went with 5 due to the extra slam against trans women with the bearded lady.

BR-6, god this one was even tougher, it was a tossup between this one and "actually the KKK wasn't that bad" from Stiglich

BT-11 and this one was tougher still! Stiglich has so far avoided my vote so I had to give it to him for this one

C-33

CT-3

G-26, I was all set to make 1 or 2 my choice but the fact that there are states banning "cheap readily available methods of birth control" really shows what a piece of poo poo Lester is for trying to frame people who were critical as overreacting

L-22

LG-1

LB-19, at first just because Garrison has escaped unscathed so far, but also because as bad as 4 was, cans of paint do actually have the color on the label. It's stupid and a dumb label but it's at least the barest fig leaf of defensible.

MI-2, all of the others I vaguely recall what they're about or at least can make a guess but this one is still incomprehensible to me

OR-3, 1, 10 and 12 were close though

R-44, simple enough to be easily reinterpreted at a glance, though shoutout to 4 for only losing out by a second of thought

ROE-3, only winning out over 4 because 4 is pulling double duty as racism

TG-8 due to recent events showing how hypocritical this is

UKR-2

WD-2 if only because Rall being eternally mad at Art Spiegelman is hilarious

P-15, lots of incredibly good ones though, a difficult category in a good way this time

WO-2, the only one that just immediately made me go "gently caress you"

BO-3

barometz
Feb 14, 2010
Try and get in under the wire here.

Worst 'A Thing Happened': A-6 Very tasteful.

Worst 'Two Things Happened': AD-4 Part of me wants to go for 5, given how lame and cumbersome it is, but really, this is a lot more unpleasant.

Worst Queen Elizabeth cartoon: WQE-5 While these are all pretty bad, and I'm not really sure what 2 is going for, the pettiness of this one makes it.

Most 'Any Day Now': ANY-1 A tough one, but this has the most 'it's happening :pervert:' energy.

Least concealed bigotry (General): BG-1 With the context and all, I suppose I can understand the sentiment, but it doesn't make 'our enemies are subhuman monsters' cartoons any less gross. Bonus points for the hook nose.

Least concealed bigotry (Antisemitism): BAS-2 A tricky one. I was going to say 4, but then I pondered whether you need to be in-the-know to get what it was referring to. I've been too online for too long to tell which antisemitic dogwhistles are common knowledge and thus whether it's concealed and so on, and I don't want to get into that hornet's nest. Anyway, instead, the other Garrison. Gotta have the teeth, etc.

Least concealed bigotry (LGBTQ+ other than pure transphobia): BLGBT-7 Eh, I don't know. While there are some more overtly hateful, I suppose it's the old school 'gay = disease' bit that's making me opt for this.

Least concealed bigotry (Race): BR-5 You're really going for this comparison, Stiglich?

Least concealed bigotry (Transphobia): BT-9 While I kept looking at the others, I kept coming back to this one with its 'classic' portrayal (there seem surprisingly few in this year's batch) and a complaint that makes no sense about hasn't happened.

Worst caricature: C-20 Rall and Danzinger feel like such easy mode, so I feel I should go for someone different. So here's Summers with one that doesn't look like either Biden or Carter.

Worst concern trolling: CT-3 I guess? I doubt Summers cares about any of this, while I'm inclined to think Lester and Payne would actually want their bogeymen disposed of.

Worst gaslighting: G-1 Seriously. They were smug about it being a supposedly covert way of saying this for so long. The backstory of the phrase wasn't even that long ago.

Laziest non-Gorrell: L-25 Of the two caption on a photo ones, I'm opting for this one. I figure Leunig had to at least find a picture of Albanese speaking rather than just any of him.

Laziest Gorrell: LG-1 On top of everything, it's just staggering inept.

Worst label: LB-15 BIRDS!

Most incomprehensible: MI-2 That or 10. Real master of metaphor, that Lester. Knowing who he is, I think I can assume what he wants the frog one to say, even if it doesn't say that or anything
sensical, but the Hatfield and McCoy thing? I can't even manage that much.

Most 'Opposite of Reality': OR-10 Probably the most obviously not true one.

Most easily reinterpreted: R-17 Without the accompanying rant, how on earth would anyone interpret this as pro-Musk?

Worst Roe cartoon: ROE-5 For the bonus side of racism.

Worst cartoon about a tragedy: TG-13 The whataboutery of it all.

Worst cartoon about Ukraine: UKR-4 Shut up, Rall.

Most wilfully dense: WD-2 Shut up, Rall… again.

Best edit/parody: P-34 Quite the year. As direct a parody as this is, it's to-the-pointedness of it works for me.

Worst overall: WO-14 Just a perfect storm. Pretty much every conceivable way it could find to be poo poo, it manages.

Best overall: BO-5 I don't feel like this one has gotten enough love in the votes, so I figure I'd go for it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
:siren:Kellies voting continues through midnight on Saturday the 8th. Don't miss your chance!:siren:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

A-5
AD-5
WQE-1
ANY-2
BG-3
BAS-5
BLGBT-7
BR-11
BT-4
C-15
CT-2
G-18
L-27
LG-1
LB-4
MI-14
OR-4
R-53
ROE-5
TG-2
UKR-1
WD-2
P-10
WO-2
BO-12

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
A-4
I have absolutely no memory of whatever Thing it was that seems to have Happened, and that's enough to win it an award for just absolutely loving it up.

AD-2
...wow, two things happened...

WQE-2
Just dumb.

ANY-3
Trump would never spear-fish!

BG-3
Go emulate your dad.

BAS-1
also opposite reality, which puts it over the top for me

BLGBT-2
You're a monster, Pat Cross, but you don't even recognize it. As the queer kid who figured themself out later in life, no thanks to people exactly like you, just go play in traffice.

BR-2
Selected for the sheer, heart-stopping hypocrisy that is someone who supports the general Republican party line declaring someone else is clearly too incompetent to get their position '''''legitimately'''''. Insanely close with with BR-6, where SKelley was totally about to support an abortion, for sure.

BT-3
Go talk to literally anyone under 30 before putting your words in your mouth. Then go gently caress yourself.

C-2
A Wyatt Mann-rear end take on a normal-looking woman in a high-profile position so you have endless source material to reference, so there's just no loving excuse for this. I could have gone for any given Rall, but Rall is just too incompetent artistically to bother with. Same with Kirschen.

CT-1
Ah, yes, my enemies are all pedophile sex offenders, and these are exactly perfectly matching circles in a Venn diagram.

G-22
Honestly, G-4 could win based on the entirety of the bigotry-race entrants, or Lester with G-28 for the awful 'I'm not owned, I'm vindicated!' take, but Gary wins for just loving up his own argument by trying to pretend that he does see the queer as an equal while actively proving he does not.

L-9
Bennett, I am disappointed in you.

LG-1
that's it, not trying any harder than Gorrell

LB-3
The more I look, the more nonsensical every label is. The corner of the room that looks like a speech bubble tag deserves special mention.

MI-3
????????

OR-2
Given how the invasion has actually gone, haha. OR-10 is a dead heat here, though.

R-8
Gosh, what a good-faith question that has never come up before!

ROE-3
Ah, yes, the Supreme Court, notably religion-free.

TG-4
Just for the suggestion that the patriotic thing to do is nothing except hope for a miracle, because any actual efforts towards a solution are unthinkable.

UKR-1
A remarkably bad cartoon, which was somehow overshadowed for all other categories it was rightfully nominated for.

WD-2
But what about the true offense, the one aimed at me, Ted Rall?

P-7
It's the one that made me giggle most on a reread.

WO-13
Ah, but see, if I ignore the context of what you're stating and why you're bringing it up, it is I who am the tolerant one! Stiglich in WO-22 has another heavy-hitting contender.

BO-1
Honestly, just a good example of Pope at his best, and no one outdoes Pope at his best.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

And the award for big procrastinator goes to meeeee

A-6
AD-4
WQE-3
Because of recent events, I will abstain from ANY
BG-1 (Garrison is a close second)
BAS-1
BLGBT-4
BR-7 (was going to say dry bones but I think it's just ugly. Branco is no better but its clear what his message was)
BT-9 (Tats needs a lifetime award for transphobia though)
C-3
CT-3
G-8
L-1
LG-1
LB-14
MI-5
OR-9
R-10 (is this knight really AGC as we know it? If it causes issues, R-23)
ROE-5
TG-13
UKR-3
WD-2
P-27
WO-17
BO-3

Thanks for doing this again!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Before the awards begin, a couple notes.

First, all winners are now separately saved under my name on imgur for the time being. I couldn't save all images as we had 469 nominees this year.

Second, I need help to sustain this process. I simply cannot manage this amount of work on my own; I've not been able to write special Ks profiles, I haven't updated the wiki sours wiki, I'm currently doing everything from pulling nominees to vote tabulation to rehosting winners to composing this post manually. I had to cut the "Kelly's Krazies" set, because I just don't have the capacity to handle another 54 entries.

I know that automation of at least some parts of the process is possible, and some folks have reached out about this, but there's a lot of other smaller items that I could use a hand with, including:
  • Cleaner, properly sized awards banner images (like the trophy images below)
  • A template format for wiki sours pages
  • Compiling a to-do manifest for wiki sours (which is going to need a lot of work to bring it up to speed)
  • Identifying which cartoonists have been dropped from the thread
If you can help with any of this, in any way, please reach out. I took on the Kellies when someone else didn't have the time to do it, but my time is pulled in a lot of directions, and I've built up a primitive infrastructure to handle t. Other people need to know how it works so that if something happens, they don't die.

Worst a Thing Happened

Clay Jones, 06/05/2022

Worst two Things Happened

Tom Stiglich, 03/15/2022

Worst Queen Elizabeth Cartoon

Mark Knight, 09/12/2022

Most Any Day Now

Clay Bennett, 08/11/2022

Least Concealed Bigotry(General)

Johannes Leak, 10/28/2022

Least Concealed Bigotry(Antisemitism)

Ben Garrison, 12/19/2022

quote:

WHO IS PULLING THEIR STRINGS?
Everyone knows Biden is not capable of handling operations on his own. He’s told what to say, where to go, what to do, where to sit, and when he can have an ice cream cone.

Even still, he screws things up regularly. He imagines people are behind them during his speeches and when he’s finished he turns around to shake an imaginary hand. He can’t find his way back from the Rose Garden.

Biden is corrupt, lazy, and mean-spirited. He also doesn’t want to study schedules, memorize names or events—and therefore he comes across as an utter fool. It’s easier for him to lie than to memorize facts. The man is a manikin set up in the White House to carry about the agenda of others.

CHECK OUT OUR 12 DEALS OF CHRISTMAS SALE- ENDING SOON! ORDER TODAY
So who is pulling Biden’s string? Many think it must be Barack Obama, and we’ve often heard of this presidency being his ‘third term.’ Biden is carrying out Obama’s takedown of America and he’s speeding it up because Trump did his best to build America back up.

Obama came out of nowhere and ran in well-funded congressional campaigns that included a term as Senator, and in a whirlwind he was president. Who was backing him? Who pulled Obama’s string? We know he had plenty of help from an assortment of globalist billionaires including George Soros, Google chief executive Eric Schmidt, Bill Gates, Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, Penny Pritzker (heiress to the Hyatt Hotel fortune), David Geffen, and many more.

Fight Fake News with weaponized Cartoons that make the Mainstream News cry- make a small donation to support!

It’s not just billionaires, but the central banks that have caused both Obama and Biden to go into genuflect mode. They both don’t give two shakes for the average citizens. They abhor such ‘common’ company. They’d rather escape to their beachfront mansions. They may talk folksy about helping the underclass, but it was all lying blather. They talked about ’taxing the rich,’ but the main task of both Joe and Barry involves protecting the billionaires and banking class—not taxing them. Those 87,000 new IRS agents will attack and harass the poor and middle class, NOT the billionaires.

STAY UP TO DATE WITH NEW CARTOONS! SIGN UP FOR OUR GRRR-NEWS! IT’S EASY AND FREE!
There is one more string puller and it’s represented by those at the very top of the pyramid. Those who own and control the central banks also control the Davos crowd, the Bilderberg meetings, the UN, the mainstream propaganda media, (and just about everything else) are the same people pulling us toward globalist tyranny. They might remain behind the scenes, but they pull an awful lot of important strings.

Those strings will be difficult to cut.

— Ben Garrison

Least Concealed Bigotry(LGBTQ+ other than pure transphobia)

Pat Cross, 08/04/2022

Least Concealed Bigotry (Race)

A tie this year, between:

Steve Kelley, 07/18/2022

and

Gary McCoy, 09/28/2022

Least Concealed Bigotry(Transphobia)

The winner by a landslide in this new and depressingly large category,

Tom Stiglich, 07/19/2022

Worst Caricature
Many entries this year, but the cream rises to the top:

Yaakov Kirschen, 11/16/2022

Worst Concern Trolling

Dana Summers, 06/02/2022

Worst Gaslighting

Gary McCoy, 06/05/2022

Laziest Non-Gorrell

Ted Rall, 12/12/2022

quote:

Best System Ever except for the Way It Actually Works Because the Democratic Party hasn’t built a farm team, they may well be stuck with 82-year-old Joe Biden to run for reelection. Republicans, meanwhile, are in an analogous situation, possibly stuck with Donald Trump because no better alternative has stepped up yet. How did the population of 330 million people end up with so few choices? The uncredited source looks like Salwan Georges' photos for the Washington Post of the March For Our Lives protests in 2018 for gun control legislation

Laziest Gorrell

Bob Gorrell, 03/01/2022

A very late entry with limited nominations- please nominate more for this category in 2023!

Worst Label

Lisa Benson, 03/18/2022

Most Incomprehensible

Mike Lester, 05/21/2022

Most Opposite of Reality
By a landslide, it's

quote:

THE PUREBLOODS SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH..

Free speech in America remains under attack.

We know on social media one must be careful about talking about Covid. “Wrong think” can lead to getting banned or deleted from sites such as YouTube, Facebook, and of course, Twitter. I spoke out against the Covid vaccines on Facebook and I kept getting banned, so I finally deleted my account. Due to my anti-medical tyranny cartoons and anti-vaccine cartoons in particular, Facebook pulled the plug on our main 60k followers cartoon page. We had a backup page with far less followers, but our interest in actively participating on Facebook waned greatly.

I have been drawing editorial cartoons to warn people against vaccine abuse long before Covid arrived and shortly after the manufactured bioweapon was unleashed, I found I had enough cartoons to put together a book. “Make America Well Again” was published in 2021. Kent Heckenlively was kind enough to write a forward for it. Fortunately it was not banned on Amazon—perhaps because I chose a positive title and cartoon of President Trump as a doctor diagnosing America. Trump must renounce the vaccines that he helped rush out. He wanted to be a hero—I get that. Still, the billions of taxpayer Covid money sent to Big Pharma should be clawed back due to their flawed trials and inadequate research.

Many respected scientists and doctors vociferously warned about the dangers of the rushed-out mRNA vaccines. They were silenced by social media. The mainstream media depends on Big Pharma advertising so naturally they pushed the deadly Covid injections instead of doing real investigative journalism. The general public got brainwashed and bullied into taking the jabs and wearing the masks—both dangerous to health. Even some corporations that should have known better such as Fox News made vaccination mandatory for their employees. Too many people had to get the poison pokes in order to keep their jobs.

Now many among the vaccinated are suddenly dropping dead.

Way too many children and teenagers are getting myocarditis. We keep reading stories about young, physically fit doctors and athletes who suddenly die of heart attacks. Morticians say they are finding long clot material inside the veins of the dead. The side effect list is long and disturbing, but what’s more disturbing is Big Pharma is permitted to push boosters based on testing a half dozen mice.

It’s about money and control, and I believe the so-called ‘elite’ globalists running the show had long planned a deadly virus.

Their point man, Fauci, saw to it that gain of function occurred at a communist Chinese military bioweapons lab in Wuhan. It may have been released prematurely. After all, the safety standards were proved to be sloppy at the lab. To be sure, they were working on a contagious respiratory virus, but it wasn’t yet deadly enough. So when it was accidentally released Fauci, the World Health Organization, and others controlling the ‘science’ used the mainstream media to magnify the danger. Meanwhile, Fauci and his operatives tried to cover up their complicity.

Thanks to dictatorial government agencies who insisted they alone had the final word on the ‘science,’ and a puppet corporate media that fanned the flames of fear, people were wearing masks, agreeing to lockdowns, and accepting mandatory jabs. We all got a good glimpse into the globalists’ plan.

They wanted vaccine passports to track and control us. They also wanted to determine what would go into our bodies. Those that resisted were smeared and dehumanized.

Biden told us that if we got the mRNA ‘vaccine,’ we wouldn’t get Covid. That was a lie. Not only did the fully vaccinated get Covid, they could also spread it and many died of it. Even more died from the vaccine itself. It was neither safe nor effective! During the blitz of bullshit delivered by so-called leaders, there were many courageous, expert voices warning us about the so-called vaccines.

Too many didn’t listen. Too many remain brainwashed today. I still see people wearing masks alone on a sunny day. Some like to brag about getting the latest ‘booster’ despite a rising tide of evidence of how dangerous those boosters are. Too many are not paying attention even now!

What’s next? Probably mandatory flu vaccines. See how that works? They accustom us to obeying and then the medical tyranny never goes away. Resist!

We need investigate the Covid scandal. Fauci lied to Congress. Bill Gates and Fauci belong in prison along with Big Pharma executives.

— Ben Garrison

Most Easily Reinterpreted

quote:

PRETTY BIRD! SAY “FREE SPEECH!”

Elon Musk now owns nearly 10 percent of Twitter, which sent shivers of fear up the censorious spines of those currently running the company. Musk is now being attacked on MSNBC and other globalist, lefty media outlets. They say he’s a ‘racist’ and the usual blather. They do not want Musk to return free speech to the public square that was Twitter.

Musk was going to be on the board, but then he would have been limited to how much stock he would be allowed to have. Instead he declined the post and now he can buy more shares. He’s one of the richest men in the world and he could certainly afford it and he may be one of the few oligarchs who is out to restore some of our freedom rather than take it away.

Musk can be a hero here, but he needs help. If conservatives bought the stock and then transferred their voting rights to him by proxy, the Tesla honcho could end up with a controlling stake and thus make changes including the reintroduction of free speech. He might even restore President Trump’s posting privileges.

One can only hope…

— Ben Garrison

Worst Roe Cartoon

Steve Kelley, 07/18/2022

Worst Cartoon about a Tragedy

A tie this year, between

Mike Lester, 05/27/2022

and

Tatsuya Ishida, 06/12/2022

Worst Cartoon about Ukraine

Tom Stiglich, 03/15/2022

Most Willfully Dense

quote:

The decision of a Tennessee school board to remove a graphic novel about the Holocaust from the eighth grade curriculum has many people crying censorship. But what really is censorship? Why do we not consider economic censorship, the decision not to print something in the first place, less severe than something like this Tennessee decision? Better, after all, to have been printed and sold than to have never been printed and sold.

As a reminder, all Kings of Kelly get a forums upgrade of your choice-just let me know.

Most winning nominator
Twelve by Pies, with just 4 winning nominations- many others got 3.

Best Edit/Parody

We had a lot of fantastic edits and parodies in 2022, with more than 40 nominees. I encourage folks to go back to the nominees and tour some excellent goon work. That said, one still took the crown as a perfect parody of a detestable artist and person:

Chicken Parmigiana, based on a post from Angepain - the win is shared.

Best Overall

A tie this year, between

Stan Kelly, 04/14/2022

and

Mike Luckovich, 07/16/2022

Most Nominated
Gary McCoy, with 31 nominations.

Worst Overall

Yaakov Kirschen, 05/12/2022

Kellies Kredits

I want to thank everyone who participated in the politoons thread over the past year, whether it's by posting comics (the lifeblood of the thread), commentating, creating fantastic edits, or voting in the Kellies. Votecount in 2022 was down severely and we've seen a general loss of content as users are driven off the forum, but a number of folks have stepped up and I'm hopeful that (once we have a better workflow for all of it), the next Kellies will be bigger, brighter, and somewhat closer to on time.

Special thanks go out to Raised by Birds, whose contributions are sorely missed, as well as Pants Donkey, Trapezium Dave, Apple Pie Hubbub, Lareine, Cloud Potato, Technowolf, 100YrsofAttitude and everyone else who posted comics in 2022. We would not exist as one of the best threads in DnD, and on Something Awful, if it weren’t for you. Your effort is what makes SA a great place to be.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I'd just like to take a moment to thank you for your effort, and to gloat over the fact that I nominated the (co-)winner of best overall.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

It's almost quaint that that Lia Thomas cartoon was voted most transphobic, when you compare it to some of what we've seen just in the first half of 23.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Thanks for all of the work you've done for this. Hopefully next year things will be easier.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Oh my goodness! Complaining about Leunig in the main thread, plus SCF's incredible Kelly-style parody, made something go 'ping' in my brain and remember the Kellies. And it looks like I co-won one! Wowee!

That's actually really nice! I drew the 'gay abortions' comic, wayyy back when, that these awards took their original name from, and while that was nothing to do with me — in fact I think I wasn't following the thread at that time — I was amused and flattered when I found out about it later, so I've always had a special fondness for the Gaybies/Kellies. So thank you Discendo Vox for all of your time-consuming and undoubtedly tedious work, and thank you to all the posters who nominate and vote.

Having this all in a separate thread makes it easy to miss, though, I'm afraid. Maybe in addition to some specially-made award images, I could put together some eye-catching promotional art for when the time comes again? (To tell you the truth Discendo Vox I have been meaning to volunteer to do such for a few years now, but have had such limited free time that I've been reluctant to make an offer like that in case I have to break my promises later. But maybe this year's the year. To that end, I claim Platinum as my prize, so that you can DM me if you need to. And getting that upgrade is another thing I've been trying to do for years but the SA store just absolutely refuses to accept my current Visa card for some reason. So like I said: this is really nice.)

I would love to help make the awards a little more... ceremonial? Colourful? — since so much work goes into them already. Might as well get the most out of it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Oh my goodness! Complaining about Leunig in the main thread, plus SCF's incredible Kelly-style parody, made something go 'ping' in my brain and remember the Kellies. And it looks like I co-won one! Wowee!

That's actually really nice! I drew the 'gay abortions' comic, wayyy back when, that these awards took their original name from, and while that was nothing to do with me — in fact I think I wasn't following the thread at that time — I was amused and flattered when I found out about it later, so I've always had a special fondness for the Gaybies/Kellies. So thank you Discendo Vox for all of your time-consuming and undoubtedly tedious work, and thank you to all the posters who nominate and vote.

Having this all in a separate thread makes it easy to miss, though, I'm afraid. Maybe in addition to some specially-made award images, I could put together some eye-catching promotional art for when the time comes again? (To tell you the truth Discendo Vox I have been meaning to volunteer to do such for a few years now, but have had such limited free time that I've been reluctant to make an offer like that in case I have to break my promises later. But maybe this year's the year. To that end, I claim Platinum as my prize, so that you can DM me if you need to. And getting that upgrade is another thing I've been trying to do for years but the SA store just absolutely refuses to accept my current Visa card for some reason. So like I said: this is really nice.)

I would love to help make the awards a little more... ceremonial? Colourful? — since so much work goes into them already. Might as well get the most out of it.

I would be grateful for whatever changes you can provide. I'll also try to figure out how to better announce the kellies and integrate them into the main thread.

I need some private form of contact to send you the certificate for Platinum (the forums don't let me just apply the upgrade to you, even though they will let someone anonymously buy a banner ad or someone else's avatar). One option is to join one of the account-verifying goon discord servers and we can connect through there. I run the co-op gaming goons discord, so you can use this invite: https://discord.gg/z8nddCHA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

e: wrong thread