Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
That was more likely him using his super focus and not some ability of the card.

Edit: new episode is out

Exia fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Exia posted:

That was more likely him using his super focus and not some ability of the card.

Edit: new episode is out

no as in there is no random drift from his gun. there is no air interference or imperfection within the barrel causing it to veer. the bullet WILL go where he aims until it hits something solid and he has perfect aim on his own merits.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's possible that anything it can go through, it will penetrate with no loss of energy. that's certainly what the shooting through water thing suggests. so an infinite number of sheets of glass could be between finn and his target and it wouldn't matter at all.

i don't expect the mechanics to be anything that complex, though. it's a rather light and breezy show.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
That neck twisting was nasty, Jesus Christ.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

That neck twisting was nasty, Jesus Christ.

i love how when he popped it was blue and crazy looking

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

episode beats rear end. a really solid 'and here are our villains' setup, some true pieces of poo poo

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Show took a turn this episode but I believe in it!

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

they're absolutely going to reveal that the two-value cards have some sort of insane potential, because the 'deuces wild' pun is just right there

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
King might be an rear end in a top hat but he respects work/personal life separation.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

SlowBloke posted:

King might be an rear end in a top hat but he respects work/personal life separation.

i love that he said he might be the king but he can't do poo poo about that lol

i enjoyed having a dumb cruise ship heist episode

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Chris felt suspicious to me, I wonder if they’re hinting at something with him.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i just started the new episode and had to immediately run in here and post about how the origin of the cards is a witch did a blood magic ritual to give a little boy 52 superpowers????? were the powers the same then was this little boy able to conjure c4 and use the power of A Gun

i want THIS show

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Southern Cassowary posted:

i love that he said he might be the king but he can't do poo poo about that lol

i enjoyed having a dumb cruise ship heist episode

King is a king.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Patware posted:

i just started the new episode and had to immediately run in here and post about how the origin of the cards is a witch did a blood magic ritual to give a little boy 52 superpowers????? were the powers the same then was this little boy able to conjure c4 and use the power of A Gun

i want THIS show

do you think in medieval times it was like a bow and arrow

anyway new ep spoilers oh my god the holding hands bit lmao. was kind of tonal whiplash to the sister in hospice care but it was fascinating seeing what makes chris tick.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

do you think in medieval times it was like a bow and arrow

no i want it to still have been an inexplicable gun. like the invention of The Gun is because of the gun that came out of a blood magic sacrifice

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Lingering Anime Syndrome, you hate to see it

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Patware posted:

no i want it to still have been an inexplicable gun. like the invention of The Gun is because of the gun that came out of a blood magic sacrifice

the king rounds up the land's finest smiths to study this wild tiny explosion cannon to duplicate them

this is verging on isekai territory

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

they take one look at the C4 like 'hey man not even gonna try'

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I see the writer was a big Double Arts fan

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Gyaru girl ended up being surprisingly likable. Hope she comes back.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

new ep:

x-hand or whatever felt like they put a powerup in just because you're supposed to do a powerup at this point in the story and now the "the cards choose their players" stuff makes no sense

which means give your dying sister your immortality card for a second, jackass

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I assume you need to make an actual poker hand with your original card.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Patware posted:

new ep:

x-hand or whatever felt like they put a powerup in just because you're supposed to do a powerup at this point in the story and now the "the cards choose their players" stuff makes no sense

which means give your dying sister your immortality card for a second, jackass

yeah i've been on team "this is a dumb show and is best treaded as a head empty roller coaster ride" but the last episode might have been a bridge too far for me to keep pulling this off. interested in seeing what the next episode is like.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
I don’t remember them specifically saying one card to a person, just that the card chooses who gets to use it’s power and considering a typical deck is 52 cards, doesn’t seem surprising to me that some people can use multiple. We know the first King could use all 52 cards and while he’s likely on the special extreme end, it does imply it’s not one card to a person. Also if Chris could just give his card to his sister I’m sure he would, but considering his immortality is only active when using it, and so far all it’s done is heal wounds, I don’t know if it would really help someone who’s suffering from a genetic disease even if he could give it to her

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

so we'll go forward with the assumption that you have to make a valid hand to use X-Hand, because that does make sense

so my man bobby had the three of diamonds. we've also seen three of hearts (plant power) and three of hearts (the rock guy)

the thing that bugs me is that bobby pulled out the three of spades so there was no way to really figure out anything about how exactly x-hand combines powers or if that's even what it's doing, because that's a totally new card. it would've been better to have had klondike get ahold of three of hearts in its episode so he could pull it out and let 'make body hard' and 'make things into marbles' combine into 'make body into hard marbles' and then you've basically got what he's doing but in a way that's a lot easier to make immediate sense of.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We may see what Three of Spades does in the future.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
as far as power battle series go, I say High Card beats other series like darwins game or battle in 5 seconds or less.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

We may see what Three of Spades does in the future.

are you vagueposting spoilers from somewhere or is this just the usual robot poo poo

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i thought this last episode was pretty bad. kind of boring sob story plot dump, uninspired action set piece, 0 drunk wendy. each episode really needs to contain either: a cool fight, or finn getting trolled by his coworkers somehow. ideally both.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the rest of the cast REALLY hasn't gotten a lot of screentime since their introductions, huh

like leo did one of the top-est moves i've ever seen with that double tie pull and he's just been chillin after that???

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
yeah it sucks. the people demand more stuff like the ed, less burning down orphanages

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Big Leg posted:

i thought this last episode was pretty bad. kind of boring sob story plot dump, uninspired action set piece, 0 drunk wendy. each episode really needs to contain either: a cool fight, or finn getting trolled by his coworkers somehow. ideally both.

yeah i agree. more cruise ship and hands stuck together.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Patware posted:

are you vagueposting spoilers from somewhere or is this just the usual robot poo poo

Just speculating.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

yeah i agree. more cruise ship and hands stuck together.

:amen:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Patware posted:

I think it's more fun to picture it as the cards adapting to suit new times and technology, and not always necessarily doing the same things. If I were creating the show I'd definitely take that approach on the .01% chance that I somehow stumbled rear end backwards into making the hottest goddamn anime that's taking over the world. That way I could do spinoffs with the same concept in different time periods and keep that money train rolling a bit longer.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The whole thing is supposed to be this multimedia thing with drama cds and a manga that came out some months ago (only the prequel is scannalated). Idk what kind of traction is getting, if any, and the anime is in its last arc for now so if it's not exploding, it's probably just gonna fizzle out.

But at least the ride was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

new episode: guessing chris is going for all the fives to save his sister