Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Shinmera posted:

Chapter 4 Page 7

Chapter 4 Page 8 (Chapter Gap)

Spotted Kandria in the itch.io bundle for Palestine! Congrats:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i'm going out of town for a couple weeks, but i promise to keep drawing while i'm gone!!

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i got an apple pencil when i got an ipad pro a couple of years ago for like sheet music and practice stuff and decided to dust it off to work on learning how to art. i drew video game characters and cars and stuff when i was a kid but was never any good, took art my senior year of high school but that was a bunch of craft projects and i took every opportunity i could to bail on assignments except for doing a piece with stippling, weirdly enough.

every night for the past four days i've sat down and worked on art stuff for about an hour to 90m. currently i'm:
- working on drawing more confident lines and getting to sketching/perspective on drawabox
- doing some gesture drawing learning at proko (i am very bad at this)
- 30m of just loving around/doing a small piece

the last couple of nights of loving around i've been drawing simple pokemon like voltorb or diglett and then painting them using a watercolor-style brush in procreate to see how close i can get to the 90s pokemon art style. here's tonight's diglett:

and here's the least heinous pose from the gesture drawing session. feel like i'm flailing a bit doing this but every time i do it i feel like i capture more of the pose so it's headed the right direction, i suppose.

Shinmera posted:

Chapter 4 Page 8 (Chapter Gap)

also just wanted to say i'm enjoying this comic a lot

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

Southern Cassowary posted:

and here's the least heinous pose from the gesture drawing session. feel like i'm flailing a bit doing this but every time i do it i feel like i capture more of the pose so it's headed the right direction, i suppose.

Nice! I've also been experimenting with gesture drawing (and just figure sketching more broadly) and have found it really rewarding. I aim to marry my eye and my hand, with as little thought as possible between them. Like a meditative thing almost.

Regardless, I'm stuck as stuck can be these days. Trying to just slop some paint onto paper every night.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFJ43rSb4_I

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
NSFW?
Not a Dickman, just shape

Edit:oops forgot to spoiler, my bad

Jestery fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Apr 26, 2024

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

day 5

- did ghosted planes at drawabox. line confidence is improving.
- some art friends pointed me toward line of action for practicing gesture drawing, so i did a session there. i think this is starting to bear fruit, i feel like i'm getting a pose which is recognizable and captures the motion of the figure more often now.
- i had an absolutely terrible attempt at painting jigglypuff in a unique pose, then i decided to dial it back a bit and really invest like an hour into a still life of a pear. messed around with shadow color and really blending to get the feel of the values right.

learned from the mistakes and successes, so as always, i am happy. here is the pear.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

i think this is starting to bear fruit

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

i got an apple pencil when i got an ipad pro a couple of years ago for like sheet music and practice stuff and decided to dust it off to work on learning how to art.

How do you find the pro and pencil combo? I've been looking at the Pro for a few weeks and debating cost and functionality. How accurate is the pencil to what you want it to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Arc Hammer posted:

How do you find the pro and pencil combo? I've been looking at the Pro for a few weeks and debating cost and functionality. How accurate is the pencil to what you want it to do?

i am in no way an experienced digital artist so grain of salt, but it's very classically apple in that it does the thing, it does it well, and it does it in the way you'd expect with no fuss. the screen looks nice and i've never been frustrated using the pencil in procreate due to a hardware thing.

all my serious artist friends with a decade+ of experience are on cintiq and ipad pro combos at this point, and they pretty much all think if they gave up one it'd be the cintiq because the ipad pro form factor is so convenient it's a gamechanger.

i pretty quickly found i wanted some kind of stand for the ipad so i got a sketchboard 2. locking the ipad at a 20 degree angle with two little legs on my desk like the mid-sized huions or wacoms is huge in terms of ergonomics and helps me draw better, more comfortably. now that i have one i can not imagine life without it. https://www.amazon.com/SKETCHBOARD-PRO-Black-11-inch-4th-5th/dp/B0CPTMM3JS

art friends also said i should get a screen protector with a paper-like texture and recommended some that aren't 45 dollars from paperlike. i ordered a magnetic one because i am a disaster at applying screen protectors and i'm going to give it a spin.