Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Diablo 2 also did a good job of that. It basically looked exactly how I perceived Diablo 2 when it came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The remake adds a lot of holograms to places where there were signage in the original, like the map of the station inside the first chapter Tram room for a wall-sized example, but other than those modernizatioins I think what helps is how utterly faithful it was. It's just the same spaceship but with more pipes, grates, and connections.

Replaying the other day, I noticed that in certain areas you can hear air wooshing through the ship, like the cargo arrival conveyor belt room. Also in that room just above the No Power door there's a vent that freaks out if you try the busted door. At the end of the hallway, the necromorph that is there playing dead is the same one that runs by if you try to grab some ammo in a blocked adjacent hall, same model and everything. There's just so much purposefully placed ambience everywhere, it's wonderful.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
They kept the one hallway in Engineering near the engines that for some reason is like 10x louder than anything else in the game, so yeah faithful remake

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
They love that people hate that fuckin thing I think it was mentioned in an interview I saw

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dogen posted:

They love that people hate that fuckin thing I think it was mentioned in an interview I saw

i believe that was for the airlock sound, which is a straight recording of the BART going through some tunnel and screeching like a banshee

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In the remake it has been replaced with a different, also horrible and loud sound, which is very nice of them

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Vermain posted:

i believe that was for the airlock sound, which is a straight recording of the BART going through some tunnel and screeching like a banshee

I think that’s just the arrival sound for the train

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey did you know that javelins with enemies stuck to them will still pierce windows

https://clips.twitch.tv/PoliteEncouragingGooseCmonBruh-zTz-mso0wayvg94d

Dead Space 2 is still a very very good game

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Impossible mode fuckin sucks. No checkpoints and only one save would have been fun but the one life thing is dumb as hell.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I did it at the same time as my one gun run which I think helped

I started a brand spanking new game on hard and was like, oh right this game is indeed hard if you don’t have a stockpile of stuff to fall back on

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Apparently the Dead Space Remake sales were lackluster and Motive Studios has been assigned to work on Battlefield along with the Iron Man game they were already doing.

Sucks.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
DSR is a great remake even if it doesn't compare to the insane heights of RE4make. I'm both unsurprised and completely disappointed in EA sandbagging this loving game once again, because those morons can't even take a win without loving it up majorly. Felt like that was the case when they put out surveys asking if people wanted a DS2 remake after release, they're just completely clueless.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

OhFunny posted:

Apparently the Dead Space Remake sales were lackluster and Motive Studios has been assigned to work on Battlefield along with the Iron Man game they were already doing.

Sucks.

EA's said that it wasn't due to poor sales, something jason schreier has backed up, and was instead due to various internal ideas for a theoretical DS2R or a new game entirely fizzling out and never making it past the pitch stage. DSR missing internal targets was apparently a part of this, but not the major factor

still sucks rear end considering how good DSR was and the clear degree of love that went into its development. much like with alien: isolation, this was absolutely a team that deserved to make another horror game, and the fact that they're being sent off to the yearly franchise mines is a real disappointing end

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
on the one hand, sure. on the other hand i can think of few games from that generation that need a remake less than Dead Space 2, one of the best looking games on either console. Seriously just release it upscaled and you're probably good.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
With modern tech they could make the eye scene even more hosed up

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The only reason I would want a DS2R is for the possibility of a non poo poo DS3

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Makes dead space, is pulled off dead space to work on battlefield. why does this sound familiar….

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I have to wonder if the poor sales were genuine poor sales or AAA publisher "This game didn't sell a billion copies so it failed" poor sales.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

1stGear posted:

I have to wonder if the poor sales were genuine poor sales or AAA publisher "This game didn't sell a billion copies so it failed" poor sales.

Apparently the remake sold 2million copies (which feels like a lot for a remake of a 15 year old game).

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
There's also the viewpoint, rightly or wrongly of "could this studio working on a different game for the same period of time have made one that would have made more money?". I think I joked a page or two that we had to hope they got a Dead Space 2 greenlit and mostly done before EA shifted back in it's cyclic fashion to their classic "gently caress anything else, Fifa and Battlefield only!" stance and unfortunately that didn't happen.

I don't have any actual insight into the internal expectations of EA on the Dead Space Remake but we always heard they had insane expectations of the original series after the first one, expecting 5 million in sales for a horror game, crowbarring in multiplayer and co-op and such to try and achieve that. It wouldn't surprise me if they had muted expectations compared to that for the remake but still expected it to do better than it did based on metrics we aren't aware of (you sometimes see this with people clamoring for remakes of niche series, the owners of the IP see that clamoring and do a kickstarter and you quickly see the actual limits of interest when it comes to putting down the money required for an actual modern videogame) and so quickly shitcanned a remake of the sequel.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Apparently the remake sold 2million copies (which feels like a lot for a remake of a 15 year old game).

2 million for a big budget multi-platform game from an established IP (even if an older one) is pretty bad unfortunately.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean two million is about what the OG series peaked at with 2 so I don’t know why you would expect more

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean two million is about what the OG series peaked at with 2 so I don’t know why you would expect more

DS2 did at least 4 million. DS1 did around 2.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Making a game is also more expensive than it was

Dogen
May 5, 2002

At least we got this remake, an unexpected gift. Oh well.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
yeah horror series either blow up or they don't, did space did pretty well but not RE remake numbers and sure as gently caress not fnaf/poppy zoomer horror numbers. i can see maybe getting a "remaster" of 2 someday but probably not for a while. I loved the remake and am happy we at least got that.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Looks like they were going for a new game instead of a ds2 remake.

https://x.com/jasonschreier/status/1778202621058449560

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Probably they had the opinion that 2 would have been way more work and needed a remake less? Maybe it made more sense to make a new game? I’m sad we won’t get new dead space in whatever form from the same team, but again at least we got remake #1

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dogen posted:

Probably they had the opinion that 2 would have been way more work and needed a remake less? Maybe it made more sense to make a new game? I’m sad we won’t get new dead space in whatever form from the same team, but again at least we got remake #1

it's possible that they had no real intention of ever making a DS2R and did DS1R as more of a proof of competency, like a "look what we can do" project that's guaranteed to sell reasonably well and can showcase your chops when it comes to making a big budget horror title

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dead Space 2 is what I consider to be drat near perfect as is. I really just wanted to see Motive work on more Dead Space because they did such a drat good job with the first game. They really earned my respect as a DS fan and I wanted to see what they could do with the series. Idgaf about a DS2 remake it's just a real bummer to hear they were sent to the Battlefield mines after such a quality effort. EA fuckin sucks.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

maybe they were skipping ds2r and trying to give us the sorely needed proper third game (End of Dead Space)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vermain posted:

it's possible that they had no real intention of ever making a DS2R and did DS1R as more of a proof of competency, like a "look what we can do" project that's guaranteed to sell reasonably well and can showcase your chops when it comes to making a big budget horror title

The bonus secret ending leading right into DS2 seemed to hint they had plans at least.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

slicing up eyeballs posted:

maybe they were skipping ds2r and trying to give us the sorely needed proper third game (End of Dead Space)

In the dead space series where Isaac uses industrial tools to defeat space zombies, Isaac uses a planet cracker, an industrial tool, on the planet-sized space zombies. Master Chief John Isaac cracks all of the brethren moons and then at the end goes insane before the credits roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

slicing up eyeballs posted:

They were reportedly planning on going straight to a new entry in the series until EA killed it.