Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Zamujasa posted:

doesn't matter who wins the game if the refs are bought off

as a fan of the Sacramento Kings who still has nightmares about game 6 vs the Lakers in the 2002 playoffs, I vehemently disagree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

hypnophant posted:

the average bank customer will throw a poo poo fit if you tried to make them keep track of a physical token and there’s less than zero incentive for the banks to push it

Until PSD2 every bank here either had a RSA fob to make the codes on the fly or a plastic card with a matrix of codes to interpret so it wouldn't be a new thing.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

so, uh

apparently the full data from Gabrielle wasn't known because the communications networks were completely knocked out

they've now gotten to the various measuring stations and confirmed that:

quote:

Inland from the devastated Esk Valley, Glengarry recorded 546mm of rain, 400 mm of which fell in 12 hours. It had the region’s highest reading.

Exposed areas of the southern Hawke’s Bay coast reached 450mm during the cyclone.

“The eastern area of Wairoa is similarly exposed and was the other part of the region, alongside Glengarry, to get more than 500mm of rain.
nearly half a loving meter fell in 12 hours

which is so ridiculous it can only be true

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
That’s 19 2/3 inches, or 1 3/4 foot-acres per acre.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
drat they put it in H

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Nothing irked me more about HBomberguy chaosdunking assholes with his charity stream than discovering that the artist for this is a TERF.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/marine-corps-scout-snipers-elimination/

The marine scout sniper MOS is dead. Long live the recon sniper MOS.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I follow a few guys who are instructors in the Sniping community, specifically Army.
The guy who was head instructor at Benning (moved on) had been saying for years that basic skills and fieldcraft have been degrading at a steady pace because of GWOT. He was specific that because of the focus on urban/semi-urban sniping, guys can't stalk. They are loving up basic poo poo, failing to adequately camo equipment, over reliance on cool guy looks and gear, not enough on the basics of the craft, like Intel gathering, and "half of what makes us Scout Snipers". He came up under Pre-GWOT doctrine.

Not in the field, I can't say. I can say that I am witnessing an incredibly similar scenario in the Infantry. There are so very few guys left with the institutional first hand experience, that lessons will have to be learned the hard way. "Why does the book say do it X? Y is what makes more sense."
::humps 5k::
"OH. That's why the book says to do X."
I have a friend in the Infantry (NG) still, and he's heard guys bitch about "finding places for 3 more mags" because they all use micro rigs, because their SL used micro rigs, because he started when he was always in arms reach of a truck in 2009.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

bulletsponge13 posted:

I follow a few guys who are instructors in the Sniping community, specifically Army.
The guy who was head instructor at Benning (moved on) had been saying for years that basic skills and fieldcraft have been degrading at a steady pace because of GWOT. He was specific that because of the focus on urban/semi-urban sniping, guys can't stalk. They are loving up basic poo poo, failing to adequately camo equipment, over reliance on cool guy looks and gear, not enough on the basics of the craft, like Intel gathering, and "half of what makes us Scout Snipers". He came up under Pre-GWOT doctrine.

Not in the field, I can't say. I can say that I am witnessing an incredibly similar scenario in the Infantry. There are so very few guys left with the institutional first hand experience, that lessons will have to be learned the hard way. "Why does the book say do it X? Y is what makes more sense."
::humps 5k::
"OH. That's why the book says to do X."
I have a friend in the Infantry (NG) still, and he's heard guys bitch about "finding places for 3 more mags" because they all use micro rigs, because their SL used micro rigs, because he started when he was always in arms reach of a truck in 2009.

What you are describing is the same cycle of knowledge loss that every unit deals with. Even when the Forever Wars were active it was a constant cycle of boot drop, work ups, deployment = seasoned infantry. Only you get maybe 2 deployments out of a Marine/Soldier before they leave the service. First deployment they are inexperienced. Second deployment they are the salty vet that passes along that core knowledge. Except when the wars ended the group of folks that passed that knowledge on got out or retired. Hell every single person who was involved in OIF 1 is now old enough to be retired.

The US Mil is pretty decent at capturing lessons learned and drawing from those when conflicts ramp back up. It'll take a bunch of fresh blood being spilled for a new generation to learn the same lessons we did.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Hekk posted:

Hell every single person who was involved in OIF 1 is now old enough to be retired.

I regret to inform you that I did the math on this and it checks out :corsair:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I've given the Urban Warfare Podcast a periodic listen and I think they've voiced concern on multiple occasions that MOUT doesn't have nearly enough attention paid to it. All combat environments need attention, but militaries need to do some serious thinking about where their next wars will take place and which should take priority, while doing their best to retain the knowledge for the deprioritized skillset.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Just a side note on the OMG FBI SAID IT WAS A CHINESE LAB LEAK:

https://twitter.com/HayesBrown/status/1630746845948391424

Really goes to show just how boring the news is on the domestic side right now that we're already in reruns.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/John_Hudson/status/1630968908382621696?t=ScxiWjEq6p7u4mukm657mQ&s=19

Lab leak! Or maybe they're all actually cops and this is their fentanyl.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
if Havana Syndrome isn't real then you mean our brave Intelligence Pimps aren't totally honest and truthful about everything???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It’s march.