Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

What are those?

My husband and I went to Portugal pre-pandemic and had a blissful ~3-day experience in a five star hotel there that was shockingly affordable. I'd heard everything there was relatively affordable as they try to drive tourism and we were in the country for a wedding so it was a nice bonus vacation on top of that.

We got pandemic married in 2020 so we were legally wed alone in our apartment living room over video chat and did not do any kind of honeymoon or literally anything whatsoever. So we thought we'd get around to doing one now. We're based in the US and had our eye on Iceland (sort of arbitrarily, it seems like an amazing place to visit and the flight from where we live is not too long). We pumped the brakes a little on planning bc some of the fancy luxury stuff that my husband wanted to do is very extremely expensive! Who knew! Portugal has been our only experience doing anything like this so just stereotypical fancy hotel and spa poo poo is what we're looking for.

So we can't actually ball hard, we just want to pretend like we can, even if it's just for a couple nights in the middle of the trip! Are there any places we should look at based on pricing where we can do silly honeymoon luxury stuff more affordably than elsewhere? We've also been to Costa Rica recently and had a fantastic time and just want to go somewhere new we haven't been, but location doesn't really matter all that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

redcheval posted:

My husband and I went to Portugal pre-pandemic and had a blissful ~3-day experience in a five star hotel there that was shockingly affordable. I'd heard everything there was relatively affordable as they try to drive tourism and we were in the country for a wedding so it was a nice bonus vacation on top of that.

We got pandemic married in 2020 so we were legally wed alone in our apartment living room over video chat and did not do any kind of honeymoon or literally anything whatsoever. So we thought we'd get around to doing one now. We're based in the US and had our eye on Iceland (sort of arbitrarily, it seems like an amazing place to visit and the flight from where we live is not too long). We pumped the brakes a little on planning bc some of the fancy luxury stuff that my husband wanted to do is very extremely expensive! Who knew! Portugal has been our only experience doing anything like this so just stereotypical fancy hotel and spa poo poo is what we're looking for.

So we can't actually ball hard, we just want to pretend like we can, even if it's just for a couple nights in the middle of the trip! Are there any places we should look at based on pricing where we can do silly honeymoon luxury stuff more affordably than elsewhere? We've also been to Costa Rica recently and had a fantastic time and just want to go somewhere new we haven't been, but location doesn't really matter all that much.

Morocco will likely be the cheapest option if you want a 5* and want something more "exciting" and with some sort of local culture or flavor. Potentially the Dominican Republic or Mexico if you don't care if it's in a modern tourist town with a generic 5* hotel, so long as it has a beach. All dependent on flights and where you live normally. Hotels in Morocco are generally cheaper than Latin America on a 1:1 quality basis, e.g. you can get a really nice 5* around Marrakech for $150/night (depending on dates etc). Cheapest I see now in DR and Yucatan for a 5* is around $250/night.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Check out South East Asia. You can get a room at the InterContinental Phu Quoc (Vietnam) for around $210 usd per night . But for the ~luxury~ experience fork out an extra 80 bucks or so per night and get the club lounge access, which includes access to the private pool, afternoon canapes and evening cocktails. It's a real nice resort and great value for money imo :)

Alex Valentino
Jul 30, 2007
Seconding South East Asia, in particular Kuala Lumpur if you want a city vibe. The centre has an amazing amount of 5-star hotels which brings the price down compared to international standards. Shangri-La Kuala Lumpur is going for less than 100 USD a night for example.
Plus when you are not in the spa or whatever the city is very walkable and has lots to do.