Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
I'm leaving for Japan this Sunday at 13:30 Pacific time. I want to optimize my time there; we get in at 16:00 on Monday, and have a light day planned for the next day. Our flight basically leaves in the middle of the night Japan time, unfortunately. It is also the first day of daylight savings time. What should I do about sleep in the lead-up to this in order to normalize the time there? I was thinking about staying up until 9:00 or so Saturday morning, sleeping then, but I'm still gonna have to be up at 7:00-8:00ish on Sunday morning to make my flight, which probably defeats the purpose. Should I stay up all not Saturday night as well and plan on sleeping on the plane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Ham Equity posted:

I'm leaving for Japan this Sunday at 13:30 Pacific time. I want to optimize my time there; we get in at 16:00 on Monday, and have a light day planned for the next day. Our flight basically leaves in the middle of the night Japan time, unfortunately. It is also the first day of daylight savings time. What should I do about sleep in the lead-up to this in order to normalize the time there? I was thinking about staying up until 9:00 or so Saturday morning, sleeping then, but I'm still gonna have to be up at 7:00-8:00ish on Sunday morning to make my flight, which probably defeats the purpose. Should I stay up all not Saturday night as well and plan on sleeping on the plane?

Get as much sleep as possible. Staying up and trying to "switch to Japan time" early is not going to work and it will also put you in sleep deficit. Get in at 16:00, get to your hotel at 18:00, then the important thing is to stay awake until at least 9 or 10pm, no matter how tired you are when you get to your hotel. Depending on your sleep deficit / how well you slept on the plane, this will determine to a large extent how bad your next couple days are. Personally I always get exactly one day of jetlag regardless of the time zone switch (5 hour or 11 hour, same to me) but for my wife she gets messed up by anything more than like a 3 hour TZ change and is a wreck for days for a TZ change of more than 6 hours. I can sleep anywhere, any time though. She cannot sleep sitting up.

You can also ask in the extremely active Japan thread on this subforum, they’ll probably suggest their own shamanic rituals for minimizing it.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Saladman posted:

the important thing is to stay awake until at least 9 or 10pm, no matter how tired you are when you get to your hotel.

This is by far the most important thing. Immediately switch to normal hours when you arrive, don’t have an afternoon nap or whatever. Go to bed at a regular time and then sleep at a regular time. Keep busy during the evening: go to a restaurant or bar, explore the neighbourhood on foot, chat to your hosts if that’s an option, use the hotel pool/gym if it’s that kind of place. Guarantee if you stay in your room thinking you’ll stay awake watching a movie or using electronics, you will 100% fall asleep.

Once you take off, I find it helps to set your watch/phone etc to destination time, and try to act accordingly.

Oh and travelling east to west is much easier than the opposite. East to west just feels like a really long day, while the inverse gives you a weird half day that throws everything off.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

If possible, sleep on the plane.

If you're flying economy and you're over like 5'9" then you're probably screwed though unless the seat next to you is open. You'll be too tall to lean forward and sleep on the seatback tray. The only option at that point is to rest your head against the seat in front of you with some kind of pillow against your forehead and that's still subject to the person in front of you not moving around much.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Toxic Mental posted:

lean forward and sleep on the seatback tray
rest your head against the seat in front of you with some kind of pillow against your forehead

what on earth

Just recline your seat like normal and if you're a huge goon (or just broad-shouldered like me) then angle yourself at like 30 degrees sideways into your seat back

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Also get a window seat and lean against the side of the plane; this is the only way I can get decent sleep on a flight in coach, unless the flight is mostly empty.

Keep in mind window seats are usually much colder. Emergency exit row window seats are always absolutely arctic.

Also if drugs are you thing then ambien can work, but it can also make you strip naked and go sleepwalk to find god, so maybe.. don’t take it for the first time on a flight unless you have a minder.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

webmeister posted:

what on earth

Just recline your seat like normal and if you're a huge goon (or just broad-shouldered like me) then angle yourself at like 30 degrees sideways into your seat back

Seats recline like 5 degrees these days dude. You basically sleep sitting up no matter what.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Saladman posted:

Also if drugs are you thing then ambien can work, but it can also make you strip naked and go sleepwalk to find god, so maybe.. don’t take it for the first time on a flight unless you have a minder.

Counterpoint: embrace chaos

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Toxic Mental posted:

Seats recline like 5 degrees these days dude. You basically sleep sitting up no matter what.

I dunno, I’ve taken dozens and dozens of flights over the last few years (admittedly not many domestic American flights), and I’ve never had an issue with seats not reclining. Yeah it’s not great but it’s way better than trying to sleep in the foetal position on the seat in front of me

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Protip: churn credit card welcome bonuses to earn tons of miles, book business class, and lie flat. It's a bit tricky and you gotta ensure you spend properly, and it's way easier in 2-player mode, but it is doable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

webmeister posted:

I dunno, I’ve taken dozens and dozens of flights over the last few years (admittedly not many domestic American flights), and I’ve never had an issue with seats not reclining. Yeah it’s not great but it’s way better than trying to sleep in the foetal position on the seat in front of me

You should try Ryianair