Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Goons with spoons has been around for like 2 decades at this point. There are various great cooking threads in other subforums. I think it would be cool to invite people to post the best recipes they’ve ever gotten from this site. I know the goonswithspoons is a great repository of recipes, but it’s also seeing almost no new activity. So, here’s my all-time favorite (try to link to the original post if possible)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3682046&perpage=40&noseen=1#post437801067

Zuppa Toscana by Gravity84

Description:
Despite being an actual thing with beans and stuff, most of us are more familiar with Olive Garden's version which is almost nothing like the zuppa autentico. Regardless, it's probably the only thing the lovely Darden managed restaurant franchise has done well. It's super tasty and hella easy.

Ingredients:
1 lb italian sausage, uncased is fine as you are going to uncase it to crumble anyway. I like spicy, but I think the classic is mild.
3 strips of bacon, diced
1 medium onion, minced
2 minced cloves of garlic
3 russet potatoes, sliced into coins (Fr0id mod; a few too many potatoes)
8 cups of chicken broth or water (Fr0id mod; the potatoes soaked up too much liquid)
1 half pint of cream
a shitton of kale (my favorite part), ribs removed and torn into bite size pieces
1/2 tsp fennel seed, crushed in mortar and pestle (optional, but I like an assertive fennel flavor in mine)
parmiggiano regiano to taste
kosher salt
black pepper to taste

Directions:
brown bacon in a large pot until crisp, reserve and drain all but a bit of bacon grease then add and sausage. brown and break up chunks until it is small crumbled bits. Add onion and lower heat, sweat until translucent, add garlic and fennel and saute until fragrant. Return the bacon and add chicken broth and potatoes. Simmer until potatoes start to crumble. Add cream. Taste for salt (you'll probably need a lot) If serving immediately add kale. I like to add my kale raw to my microwave cup and let the reheating cook the kale. You can sub spinach if you prefer a more tender green. Top with parm.

Notes:
I like a bit more hearty of a soup so I make a roux out of some of the bacon drippings and add to the soup to thicken.

Back to Fr0id:
This is the recipe I serve to everyone. I have never had a single person feel anything less than loving this dish. A friend of mine entered this into a soup competition at her workplace and via informal polling it won by a landslide but for some reason the vote counters close friend won instead with mac and cheese. Not Mac and cheese soup. Just Mac and cheese. Anyway, I count it as a victory. This soup will please anyone.

Please other folks share some of your favorites from the past couple decades!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe
The baked chicken wings have been a staple of our house for ~10 years. Will try and find the recipe later!

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

This one was posted in E/N but it's one of my favorites.

Siegkrow posted:

Yo, if you don't mind me adding up a bit I like to cook a lot and when my country isn't making GBS threads its pants tend to live off baking and selling some stuff.
One of my best sellers is the Artichoke Empanda. The dough is easy, I measure 1 kilogram of white flour vs 200 grams (Yeah I know I should use mililiters for water but at these volumes weight=volume, usually) of cold water, 250 grams of boiling water, 150 grams of cooking oil, 2 tablespoons of salt and 4 tablespons of sugar. mix with a woden spoon and once it is firm enough knead for roughly 10 minutes to get a supple dough ball. Cut into 150 gram balls and stretch into small discs you can fill up with whatever you want, easily seal and bake.

As for the filling, Boil 4 artichokes for an hour on low heat, then cool shock them, scrape the "meat" off the bottom of the leaves, get rid of the sharp hairs and mash the bottom of the artichoke. Caramelize 4 diced onions with 3 tablespoons of sugar until they caramelized into an almost jam-like mixture. Mix both together in a big pot, add a liter of cream and simmer it down until it thickens nicely. let it cool so it hardens a bit, then spoon it inside your dough discs, seal on one side, paint with egg yolks and bake for 30 minutes on medium high heat until nice and golden.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Hot dog rollup.

Today it seems pretty quaint.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Definitely Mapo tofu, this one specifically prepared with silken tofu:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3401971&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post394267113

I didn't know of this dish, made it and loved it. Then made it for others and they loved it.
Finally found an actual Chinese restaurant over here that was authentic szechuanese, so I went over to taste their mapo tofu, expecting it to be even better than my version.

Long story short, I can make the best mapo tofu in my country, all due to what I learned on this forum ;-)
(Thanks Gravity, still one of the best dishes I know)

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Two items still stay in my rotation to this day: the aforementioned Olive Garden soup from Gravity84 and Agentseven’s garlicky spicy shrimp from ICSA 30!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2951080

quote:

You will need:

1-2 lbs uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
6 tbs plus 2-3 tsp cornstarch
2-3 tsp water
1/2 cup corn oil
4 large garlic cloves
3 tbs sugar
1 tsp cayenne pepper (more if you like heat)
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup tomato sauce
2 tsp unseasoned rice vinegar
2 tsp dry cooking Sherry
1 cup thinly sliced green onions

Most of you probably know this trick, but for those of you who don't - peeling a garlic clove is simple: pound the gently caress out of it with the flat blade of your knife.

The husk falls right off, simple as can be.

Chop your garlic...

As you can see, this recipe uses a buttload of fresh garlic. You can set it aside for now.

Chop your green onion and set it aside also. This will be used for garnish. A very tasty garnish.

Get all your ingredients together. I like to have everything in little plastic cups because you need to put these ingredients together in your pan in very quick succession. Have the 6 tbs of corn starch in a bowl as pictured. Make a slurry out of the 3 tsp corn starch/3 tsp water. This will be used at the end to thicken the sauce.

Also, thaw, peel and devein your shrimp under running water, and set them on a paper towel. They should be moist as pictured. You'll see why. You can use 1 lb of shrimp to feed 2 people, or 2 lbs to feed four, the recipe will not suffer either way. I am using 1 lb here.

Get your rice going. Most rice says to use 1 cup to every 1 3/4 cup of water, but I have found you get better results (at least in Arizona) if you cut the water down to 1 1/2 cups. Bring it to a boil on high, then immediately set on your stove's lowest setting and let it cook for 15 minutes.

Not pictured: Get a bigass pan and put the corn oil in it. Heat the pan on medium high until frying temperature (~300F). Have tongs at the ready.

Coat your shrimp on both sides with corn starch.

Place the coated shrimp in the hot corn oil to fry.

Shrimp will fry VERY fast, turn your shrimp after only a couple of minutes at most.

Your shrimp is done when it is all curled up and has no opacity. Do not overcook your shrimp or it will be rubbery. We are going to have this shrimp cooking a little bit more later, so even if its slightly undercooked here, it's not a problem.

Remove shrimp from oil and drain on a fresh paper towel.

Pour off corn oil until all you have left is 2 tbs or so.

Add the garlic, cayenne, sugar and salt. Stir it up.

Let this fry up for a few minutes until your garlic starts going a bit amber.

Add the tomato sauce, vinegar and sherry. Stir it up.

When this has heated through (mere minutes in all of these steps, really) add your corn starch slurry and stir to thicken.

Add your shrimp and stir to coat.

Plate over rice, garnish with green onion. DELICIOUS!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The two ingredient English toffee recipe. I forget which goon posted it, and the amount of sugar and target temperature, but he had a set of novelty "Han Solo in Carbonite" moulds.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
It's dino's lemon rice.

https://www.goonswithspoons.com/Lemon_Rice

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

I’m gonna add a few other Dino recipes that I still use to this day. All from this archived post. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518581&perpage=40&noseen=1#post409803308

Nate’s Broccoli
One of my best friends is a shy cook. He's had me over many times, and generally leaves the cooking up to me. I used to do the microwave broccoli thing most of the time, because it was quick. One day, he asked me if he could sort out the broccoli, so that I'd be free to handle the rest of the meal. I happily accepted. That night, the broccoli was so good, we all ate that first. He was beaming at the end of the meal. I asked him what he did. "Oh. Let me show you."

1 head broccoli, cut into florets
Nonstick cooking spray
Salt, to taste

Spray the bottom of a cast iron skillet with the nonstick cooking spray. If you don't have one, put a 1/4 tsp of oil onto the skillet, and rub it around with a paper towel. Heat the skillet on high. Let it get very hot. In small batches, sear the broccoli on the screaming hot skillet. It'll get slightly charred as it cooks. Flip it often, as you don't want it to burn. Season with salt. Eat.

Ever since then, when we get together, I make Nate's Broccoli. He was very pleased that he taught me something that I use regularly. I reminded him that the best teachers do the most learning out of anyone else. However, when it comes to other vegetables, he prefers my South Indian method of cooking them.

Fr0id Note: this is absolutely one of the best and easiest ways to cook broccoli. It’s totally fine with some vegetable oil. It will take some practice to not smoke up your place too badly, but a crown of broccoli on a hot cast iron on the electric range is gonna be done in 1-2 minutes with this method. You can also just add the whole crown. If you’re doing the stems too add that first for 2 or so minutes.

Raw Kale
Some days, you want raw kale, but you're not a huge fan of the chewing that it requires. No worries! You can massage it and get the same results.

1 bunch of kale, with stems removed, and chopped into bite sized pieces
2 tsp mustard (optional)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lemon, juiced
1 tsp olive oil
salt, to taste

Sprinkle the kale with the salt. Let it sit while you mince the garlic. Combine the garlic with the lemon juice, olive oil, and mustard. Pour that mixture over the kale. Massage the leaves vigorously. Seriously, give it a bashing. It can take it. You'll see the kale transform from huge leaves into leaves that look like they've been cooked. Adjust seasoning as necessary.

This makes the base of an excellent salad. Anything you throw on top will be delicious.

Fr0id note: this is gonna be a very tart salad but it’s very good. For a lot of palates you’re gonna want something sweet. Add a sweet vegetable like shredded carrots or beets.

Chickpea “Popcorn”
When you're trying to get your macros up, and are craving a snack, popcorn is not something you'd reach for. However, you want something to nosh on while you're watching TV, or a movie, and aren't in the mood to get your fat to the level that nuts will do. I'm using canned chickpeas, because they are especially suited for this application.

1 large can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 tsp olive oil
Salt, to taste
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Bake the chickpeas in the oven at 350F for 30 minutes. Toss them around in the pan, and bake another 15 minutes. The chickpeas will puff up a bit, and dry out. They'll be just like eating popcorn, but without the carbs. Plenty of fibre, plenty of protein, and very tasty.

If you want to avoid the fat, feel free to toss them in a bit of tamari or soy sauce instead. It works out great!

Fr0id note: this will work for almost any kind of seasoning. Cajun, Mexican, berbere, etc. experiment with it.

Daal
This is a staple all across India. I'm doing an even more basic version than I'm used to, because I'm hoping that once you get your feet wet with the quickest and easiest of bean recipes, you'll be willing to branch out and try different beans. This recipe works with every kind of cooked bean.

1 teaspoon canola, peanut, or safflower oil (neutral and can take high temps)
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
Curry leaves, if available
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
Salt
1 pound canned chopped tomato, drained
1 pound canned garbanzo beans, drained
1 ½ cups water
Fresh chiles, chopped (Fr0id note: mince some jalapeño or serrano, a splash of like juice, a couple pinches of salt, and some chopped cilantro. Amazing little garnish thingy to put on top)

Heat oil over high heat in a wide, shallow pan. Sprinkle in cumin. When you hear the cumin popping (about 30 seconds, if the oil is hot), add in sesame seeds. When the sesame seeds brown, toss in the curry leaves (if available) and the diced onion. Drop down the heat to medium-high, and sprinkle in turmeric and a little bit of salt. Sauté onions until soft (about 1 minute). Bring the heat back to high and add in the can of tomatoes. Stir vigorously for about 3 to 5 minutes. You'll see the tomatoes breaking down a little—this is a good thing. Add the garbanzo beans. When the beans are coated with the tomatoes, add the water. Add chopped-up chiles to taste. When water comes up to a boil, you're done!

This thing is basically a primer on daal. There are more complex versions on the GWS wiki. http://goonswithspoons.com/Daal_Tarka

Fr0id note: this is THE delicious budget food. I’d recommend also adding some msg if you have it. Also on an electric stove be careful those whole spices can burn easily. Even if they do the dish still tastes good though. For the tomatoes get canned ones that done have calcium chloride as an ingredient otherwise they’ll never fall apart into a gravy. Otherwise use crushed tomatoes. Can be used with any kind of canned bean as well. Fresh Ginger and garlic are great adds. Honestly this is a very yummy baseline you can add stuff to that just makes it better and better.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
A while back this eggnog recipe was posted here: https://www.thebittenword.com/thebittenword/2010/01/best-eggnog-recipe.html . The only thing I did differently was grating some fresh nutmeg into it while making it, along with grating more fresh while serving it like it says. It says to age it at least 3 weeks, and "up to" a year. It definitely tasted better at the 1 year mark than the 3 week mark. About a month ago some friends and I decided to sample the last little bit that's been in a mason jar in my fridge since 2015. It's even better after 8 years than 1.

No worries, it's something like 15% ABV, and some similar recipes claim to be shelf stable at room temperature. I'll definitely need to hit my friend up for some more farm fresh eggs soon to prepare for Christmas.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

This recipe is one of my favorites as well.

Also this Bao recipe: http://goonswithspoons.com/Home_Baked_Char_Siu_Bao_(Hum_Bao)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

This is one of the first recipes I learned by myself and I'm still making it more than a decade later. I've mode this for friends in every state I've lived in and it's always been a big hit. Almost never any leftovers. Everyone thinks I'm a great cook and it's all thanks to Schpyder and the rest of ya'll goons with spoons. Thanks!

http://goonswithspoons.com/A_Humble,_Dorm-Made_Pasta_with_Zucchini_and_Squash_Meat_Sauce

LLSix fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 9, 2023

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Hey folks! No one has found it funnier than me that a lot of peoples greatest recipes are some GBS ones that are pretty low effort and low to mid reward. Thank you to returning redditors for posting! I would like to repurpose this thread. For some of the more super low effort recipes, I would love to see folks post mid or high level versions. The mid being those that are at the level of salsa chicken slow cookers. I think even with e small amount more effort or ingredient change we can make these better. Who’s in?

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Kind of seems like you're looking down on everyone posting their recipes. Are they not good enough? Be the change you wanna see.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Kind of seems like you're looking down on everyone posting their recipes. Are they not good enough? Be the change you wanna see.

Gatekeeping food, you hate to see it

"Look at this idiot who put a few vegetables together! You call that a salad? omfg." :smug:
:goonsay:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 10, 2023

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
The thread is only one page, and the only non-GWS recipe I see is artichoke empanadas with a side of civil unrest, which is maybe a notch above salsa chicken. :confused:

Anyways, be clear what you mean by "best" because as a dad with a 3 year old, I will choose "5 steps and 30 minutes but punches way above its weight" over "fussy haute cuisine recipe requiring hours of fastidious prep and a trip to Whole Foods for that one special ingredient" approximately 103% of the time.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Quite often the best recipes end up being the simplest ones. That's not to say a complicated one isn't better, it often is but you're missing the point that sometimes folks over complicate recipes and the basics can be better. Also, preference is subjective so :shrug:

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
I have been using this brownie recipe as my goto for "poo poo, I need to bring a dessert" for decades:

http://goonswithspoons.com/Fudgey_brownies

I don't really like sweets, but this recipe makes one of the two exceptions in my life where I will indeed have a piece (the other being pumpkin pie). These things are easy to make, use ingredients anyone with any sort of baking experience has on hand, and are never mistaken for "boxed".

I don't put confectioner / powdered sugar on top because adding more sugar to sugar with no texture difference is kinda not worth it, IMO. But even the recipe calls that optional.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

amazing recipe for mole poblano that is not mid

Oakland Martini posted:

Ingredients:
  • 3 each of the following dried chiles: guajillo, ancho, mulato, pasilla (seeded and destemmed)
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup almonds, 1/3 cup pecans, 1/3 cup filberts, 1/4 cup sesame seeds
  • 1/2 medium white onion (roughly chopped), 4-6 cloves garlic
  • 2-3 1-inch pieces of canela (Mexican cinnamon), 10 cloves, 10 allspice, 10 black peppercorns, all ground together in mortar
  • 3/4 to 1 disc Abuelita chocolate, broken into eights
  • 4-5 cups chicken stock (hot, preferably freshly-made)
Instructions:
  • Fry chiles in small batches for about one minute, put in large pot.
  • Fry onion and garlic for one minute, add to pot.
  • Fry nuts for one minute, add to pot.
  • Fry raisins for one minute, add to pot.
  • Fry spices for one minute, add to pot.
  • Dump contents of pot in blender, add chicken stock until 2/3 - 3/4 full and blend, then strain contents of blender back into pot.
  • Put everything that didn't make it through the strainer back into blender with 1-2 cups hot water, blend and strain. Repeat twice more.
  • After the third time blending, add blender contents straight to pot.
  • Simmer, stirring constantly, for 15 minutes.
  • Add chocolate slowly, one piece at a time, and keep stirring. Taste after each piece of chocolate to decide when to stop. This should take another 15 minutes or so.
  • Simmer 15 more minutes, still stirring.
Traditionally served over rice and chicken, but you can use it for pretty much anything that sounds good. I've even served it for dessert on top of chocolate cake.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I don't even have the recipe, but the best one was some bolognaise recipe because it taught me
  • How to properly salt pasta water
  • What mirepoix is
  • What fond is
  • How to finish a sauce using pasta water
  • How to finish pasta in the pasta sauce (and then serve immediately)
I adapted it into my own super simple bolognaise-ish recipe. People frequently tell me it's the best they've ever had, which I credit to taking these (easy) steps rather than making boomer-sketti.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I actually don't know who posted this :( but

a goon posted:

* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon coarse salt
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
* 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
* 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
* 1 cup granulated sugar
* 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
* 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
* 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together, brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter, and eggs. Add dry ingredients, and whisk until smooth. Whisk in pumpkin puree.
3. Divide batter evenly among liners, filling each about halfway. Bake until tops spring back when touched, and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes, rotating pans once if needed. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely.

Then topped them with this
* 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
* 1/4 C (half stick) butter, room temperature
* 1 t vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
* 1 t cinnamon (add more to taste)
* 2-3 C powdered sugar (add more or less to make it a stiffness that you like)

1. Mix cream cheese and butter well.
2. Add vanilla and cinnamon.
3. Add powdered sugar.

I have made these many times and they've never not been a big hit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Anyone got the the recipe for chickencheese? I remember there being some unique step or two where you have the chicken and you have the cheese.