Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.
Hi Friends!

Has everyday life got you down? Do you long for a place where you can play games, explore outdoors, and make friends for life? Does the idea of summer camp sound exciting and enticing (whether or not you get murdered there)? Then get ready for…

Welcome to a brand new, original FRG experience: Camp Cryptid Lake!

The Setting:

Eighteen lucky campers will have the opportunity to attend Camp Cryptid Lake! This picturesque summer camp is in the middle of a lush green forest, surrounded by mountains, and features the crystal clear waters of Cryptid Lake. Campers will enjoy an assortment of indoor and outdoor activities. They will create friendships and memories that will last them a lifetime.

Oh also there may or may not be a murderer on the loose, but don’t worry about that.

Upon arrival, campers will be placed in one of three starting cabins. Within their cabins, campers are free to communicate with whomever they choose. During specific times in the game, campers will also be able to communicate freely with each other in an All Camp Chat. We’re all here to make friends! (and maybe also get murdered)

On Mondays and Wednesdays, the cabins will compete in a Cabin Challenge. These challenges may require skill, teamwork, and communication. The first and second place cabins get to celebrate and take the next day off! But the cabin who performs worst at the Cabin Challenge faces a terrible predicament…

The murderer who stalks the grounds of Camp Cryptid Lake is constantly looking for their next victim. Every Tuesday and Thursday night, they choose one cabin to attack (the cabin who lost the previous night’s Cabin Challenge). The Chosen cabin must now compete in a Scramble with deadly stakes. These cabinmates now must face off against each other, and the weakest is MURDERED.

Once a camper has been murdered, they become a Ghost and move to the Afterlife. From the Afterlife, Ghosts can continue to affect the game. They can bestow blessings or curses upon individual players and help shape the outcome of certain challenges.

Here is a link to a very quick form to indicate your level of interest. It will only take a minute!
https://forms.gle/s25p2tAYxQdpsDH97

FAQs:

How many campers can go to Camp Cryptid Lake?
There are three 6-person cabins, so 18 total players.

What is the timeline for this game?
The overall timeline for this game is 7-8 weeks.

When will the game begin?
I would love to run this game from mid-May through mid-July, if I can get enough player interest.

What is the schedule for this game?
Game events will happen Monday-Thursday. Currently the plan is to have all game events take place from 8-9pm Central, if that fits enough people’s schedules. All players are involved in the Cabin Challenges on Mondays and Wednesdays. Only members of the Chosen Cabin are involved in the Scramble on Tuesdays and Thursdays (though non-Chosen campers may watch in horror as the event unfolds). No scheduled game events will happen on Friday-Sunday, but there may be some passive events that occur, and also communication channels will be open.

What is the time commitment like for Ghosts?
If you are murdered, your schedule in the game becomes more flexible. Ghosts can see everything happening in the game, and are able to influence specific events. So Ghosts are still a very important part of the game, but they are not required to attend most Cabin Challenges or Scrambles. Any exceptions to this (certain events which involve direct Ghost involvement) will be worked out with Ghosts ahead of time.

Where/how is this game played?
Camp Cryptid Lake will be run almost entirely over Discord (with some third-party resources/websites used for challenges). There will be little to no gameplay on the SA Forums (mostly because I’m new to them and don’t really know how they work but I like Discord).

Will there be puzzles?
Oh you bet your booty there will be puzzles! The murderer only communicates via cryptic messages. Solving these messages may give campers advantages, abilities, and information about Challenges/Scrambles.

Will there be gameplay that appeals to strategic players?
Strategic players may find a variety of aspects to delve into. They could maximize their individual advantages by influencing the roster of the cabins based on other players’ performances in game events. They could carefully examine the Murderer’s cryptic messages and solve puzzles and riddles to gain additional advantages or information about Scrambles.

Will there be gameplay that appeals to social players?
If you play online social games to form friendships and build relationships, there is plenty of opportunity for that at Camp Cryptid Lake! Carefully forming relationships may prove helpful in Scrambles, where you can work together with your allies in order to survive. It’s also a great benefit to form bonds with people before they are murdered, in the hopes they might help you as a Ghost.

Will there be gameplay that appeals to players who just want to show up and play challenges?
It’s my hope that everyone will talk and have fun and get along. But if you don’t consider yourself a Chatty Cathy, it’s still possible to go far at Camp Cryptid Lake. If you think you can kick butt in challenges without other campers’ help, that’s your prerogative!

Is the murderer one of the campers?
The murderer is not a camper. The campers are all equally fighting for survival. They can try to work together, sabotage each other, or go it alone. But they are not actively killing each other.

I don’t want to play, but can I follow along?
Sure thing! The Discord server will allow for Lurkers, who just hang out around camp watching people get murdered. Lurkers can see everything and interact with each other, but not with Campers or Ghosts.

If you have any other questions at all, please post here in the thread!

I’ll be the lead moderator (Camp Counselor) for this game, and will be joined by the very talented Chili. I’ve already gotten a ton of help/advice from Chili and Haschel, and I will always take any help I can get from anyone else who wants to be involved!

Once again, here is the link to the form!
https://forms.gle/s25p2tAYxQdpsDH97

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Excited to sign up!

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

sniper4625 posted:

Excited to sign up!

Also excited!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

In

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
This looks like great fun!

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 18, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
doesn't the cook look sorta similar to that kid we accidentally let drown a few years ago?

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.

Snooze Cruise posted:

doesn't the cook look sorta similar to that kid we accidentally let drown a few years ago?

Nope shhhh don't worry about that. Look those kids over there are playing cornhole! Go join them yaaaaaay

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I shouldn't....but maybe?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Signed up!

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Im singing up… or… signing up.. whatever you know what i mean

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

signed up!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

GenericGirlName posted:

Im singing up… or… signing up.. whatever you know what i mean

<3

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

Rip Jemery

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Our roster is looking incredible with a good mix of fresh faces and trad game vets! If you're on the fence, hop off and dive into the lake!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I didn't post in here that I'm signing up, but I am, so now I did

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Looking forward to watching this unfold.

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.
Hello All!

In the original recruitment post we had said that Camp Cryptid Lake would hopefully be beginning mid-May. Well that didn't happen, for totally normal summer camp reasons that have nothing to do with staff getting murdered. But now we are ready to begin!

Campers will be dropped off at camp (added to the Discord server) this Friday, June 9. We'll all have the weekend to get to know each other before the camp games begin the following Monday.

If you would still like to sign up for Camp Cryptid Lake, you can do so here: https://forms.gle/s25p2tAYxQdpsDH97

If you previously signed up for Camp Cryptid Lake but are now no longer able to attend, please reply to this to let us know.

We will be determining the final Camper Roster this Tuesday, June 6

Let me know if you have any questions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.
The game is live! Check out the official game post here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4034401