Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
30 days in the city of Varanasi is my summer plan. I have a contact inviting me. He's reputable, trustworthy, and intends to book my hotel and take good care of me. However I'm worried, and I know I'll need lots of shots beginning about 3 months out from the date of departure. HOW DO I NOT GET VERY ILL? I know the monkeys can bite, and mosquitos can give fever. I plan to stay just in Varanasi, not taking trips across country. I feel it's the trip of my life, so I'm determined to make this work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Try not to eat anything that is raw. I had a bite of some kind of raw onion, tomato, and some other veg mixture and it was the only uncooked thing I had the entire time I was in Delhi. I ended up with shigella the next day. It was not a fun experience... We were in the country for two weeks but didn't get any shots prior to arrival. We were in Delhi and Leh though.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Avoid touching your face. Make sure you wash your hands with soap and water, and/or use hand sanitiser, every time before you eat and after you've been out and about. It's easy to forget that getting poorly from food is one issue, but far more common will be putting your hands near your mouth/eyes/nose after touching random surfaces you've not thought about. Also use alcohol wipes to disinfect your phone and camera every day.

Avoid salad as it might be washed in tap water. Usually safer in high-end establishments. Eat vegetarian to further minimise the risk of improperly cooked/stored food.

I went to India with my partner in 2017, he got the shits for about 1.5 days, I didn't get sick at all. You can do what you can to avoid it, but you have to accept the possibility of some sort of short-lived sickness.

Have a wonderful trip!