Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
You're playing something with audio in the background or someone is talking and you are reading at the same time. Then suddenly you hear and read the same word at the same time. I'm talking about things that are not related to each other at all going on at the same time and you get the same word. It's happened to me maybe 3 or 4 times. I was talking to somebody at work about it because it happened to me at work and they said they've had it happen too. It feels like deja vu but somehow more real. I'm wondering how common this is and if there's a special word for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
everything is like that when you're psychotic as hell

edit: :firstpost:

Private Cumshoe fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 29, 2023

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Ahhh. Yes synchronicity. Or just the right amount of weed.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I think it's kind of like the birthday paradox, where something that seems statistically unlikely is actually a lot more likely than you'd assume. It's fun to notice when it happens, but unfortunately superstitious people often choose to take it very seriously and like to point to it and other coincidences as evidence of whatever horseshit they believe in.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Yeah I've had that OP it's kinda weird when I notice it

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Private Cumshoe posted:

everything is like that when you're psychotic as hell

edit: :firstpost:

It happens to me a lot, like 2-3 times a month. :ohdear:

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
A friend had her copy of Stephen King's "The Stand" sitting on her table. I had not read any Stephen King at this point. I picked it up and read the blurb on the back. The first line reads "June 16, 1985, that is when the horror began".

I just happened to read that on June 16, 1985.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Genesplicer posted:

A friend had her copy of Stephen King's "The Stand" sitting on her table. I had not read any Stephen King at this point. I picked it up and read the blurb on the back. The first line reads "June 16, 1985, that is when the horror began".

Wait, don't keep us hanging, was the book accurate, was June 16, 1985 when the horror began???

:ohdear:

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
pretty good genesplicer is old gag ngl

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
yesterday i was talking to my SO and we got on the subject of kid rock and i randomly remembered he had a little person that got on stage with him that died a long time ago but i couldn't remember the guys name and my SO googled it and found an article that said kid rock had the dudes corpse stuffed and mounted to his car like a hood ornament

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Devils Affricate posted:

I think it's kind of like the birthday paradox, where something that seems statistically unlikely is actually a lot more likely than you'd assume. It's fun to notice when it happens, but unfortunately superstitious people often choose to take it very seriously and like to point to it and other coincidences as evidence of whatever horseshit they believe in.

That's unfortunate because it's a really cool feeling but I can see where some people would see it as something actually magic or whatever.

I don't really knew what I believe in spiritually I honestly don't give it that much thought most of the time. My boyfriend right now is Christian and we've talked about it a little. I don't really know what I think about certain supposedly unexplainable things like fate, free will or loving magnets, etc like I feel like I'm kind of indifferent to it like, sure maybe they exist. Maybe God exists. Who cares just live your best life and don't over think it.

Everyone over thinks it, that's the problem.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Your life could be an amazing quest from the god(s) but instead you'd rather be like "don't overthink it breh" lmao

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Colonel Cancer posted:

Your life could be an amazing quest from the god(s) but instead you'd rather be like "don't overthink it breh" lmao

I mean like I've achieved the big things I set out to do in life without needing to think about some higher power leading me. Whether I enjoy my life, is another much more complicated subject, but I have accomplished what I wanted to from a young age so I would say I fulfilled my quest, at least in that way.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Omg guys

I just got this stupid thing on my Facebook feed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN4AcFzxtdE

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Genesplicer posted:

u were the stand holy poo poo

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Dixville posted:

That's unfortunate because it's a really cool feeling but I can see where some people would see it as something actually magic or whatever.

I don't really knew what I believe in spiritually I honestly don't give it that much thought most of the time. My boyfriend right now is Christian and we've talked about it a little. I don't really know what I think about certain supposedly unexplainable things like fate, free will or loving magnets, etc like I feel like I'm kind of indifferent to it like, sure maybe they exist. Maybe God exists. Who cares just live your best life and don't over think it.

Everyone over thinks it, that's the problem.

Assigning unproven conclusions to stuff you don't understand isn't overthinking things, it's underthinking things. The real answer is usually both difficult to reach and mundane in comparison. It's a temptation to avoid pursuing it.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Actually it's ghosts.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
my fridge is haunted you guys :tinfoil:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Genesplicer posted:

your friend pranked you. she knew the date, and tricked you into reading the blurb via subtle social conditioning. you got played like a fiddle.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

my fridge is haunted you guys :tinfoil:

If you can get them into the freezer, frozen ghost actually goes quite well in many cocktails!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I remember this one time a ghost broke into my house and was throwing poo poo around. I yelled at him to stop and he was all, "nah bitch I'm a loving ghost!" He then lifted his ghost dress and tried to moon me but turns out they wear that poo poo cause they're invisible underneath so it lacked the impact he wanted.

Anyway, I ended up getting rid of him by calling some ghost busters who came around and made him bust hard and he had a cigarette, fell asleep and they threw him in their van. The last thing they mentioned was that the ghost nut is invisible except under blacklight and it is never getting cleaned out. So there went my apartment blacklight rave plan.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
Back when landlines were a thing I had a friend where one of us would go to call the other and pick up the phone right as it was ringing or before it could ring in some instances. Sometimes one of us would call and get a busy signal and then wait for the other to re-dial. It happened enough that it stopped being shocking.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

dr_rat posted:

Wait, don't keep us hanging, was the book accurate, was June 16, 1985 when the horror began???

:ohdear:

Well, that was more than halfway through the Reagan administration, so I'd have to say that the horror began long before then.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
If you stack 7 different audio sources and manage to get one thing to line up out of all of it it becomes a Power Word

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
What was going on with Reagan in june of 85 :tinfoil:

e: beaten kinda

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Revins posted:

What was going on with Reagan in june of 85 :tinfoil:

Apparently releasing a virus that killed 99.4% of humanity. And conservatives STILL love him.

Man, nothing ever stuck to that bastard. :(

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
It happened again. I was reading something that said IMO for In my opinion and this lady behind me said "in my opinion" at the same time EXSPLAIN THAT ATHIESTS.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Proof God exists alright

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Can't say I've ever experienced it op

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
The real horror began on June 29th in the year of our Lord 1974.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Dixville posted:

You're playing something with audio in the background or someone is talking and you are reading at the same time. Then suddenly you hear and read the same word at the same time. I'm talking about things that are not related to each other at all going on at the same time and you get the same word. It's happened to me maybe 3 or 4 times. I was talking to somebody at work about it because it happened to me at work and they said they've had it happen too. It feels like deja vu but somehow more real. I'm wondering how common this is and if there's a special word for it.

Mrs. French's cat is missing. The signs are posted all over town. "Have you seen Honey?" We've all seen the posters, but nobody has seen Honey the cat. Nobody. Until last Thursday morning, when Miss Colette Piscine swerved her car to miss Honey the cat as she drove across a bridge. Well this bridge, now slightly damaged, is a bit of a local treasure and even has its own fancy name; Pont de Flaque. Now Collette, that sounds like Culotte. That's Panty in French. And Piscine means Pool. Panty pool. Flaque also means pool in French, so Colete Piscine, in French Panty Pool, drives over the Pont de Flaque, the Pont de Pool if you will, to avoid hitting Mrs. French's cat that has been missing in Pontypool. Pontypool. Pontypool. Panty pool. Pont de Flaque. What does it mean? Well, Norman Mailer, he had an interesting theory that he used to explain the strange coincidences in the aftermath of the JFK assasination. In the wake of huge events, after them and before them, physical details they spasm for a moment; they sort of unlock and when they come back into focus they suddenly coincide in a weird way. Street names and birthdates and middle names, all kind of superfluous things appear related to eachother. It's a ripple effect. So, what does it mean? Well... it means something's going to happen. Something big. But then, something's always about to happen.