Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forcedstealthlevel
Jun 26, 2021

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Last graphic novel I read was https://www.amazon.com/Ducks-Two-Years-Oil-Sands/dp/1770462899 by Kate Beaton. Brilliantly put together. Has a lot to say about class and sexism, and does it oh so well.

I came here expressly to recommend this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Cephas posted:

I'm a big dumb nerd who loves cartoons and comic books and I have an entire book case devoted to indie graphic novels and manga. Here are a few things I've enjoyed lately. I hope you don't mind me timg'ing my shoutouts, because I feel like, you know, graphic novels, right?

I really like Tillie Walden's graphic novels. On a Sunbeam is her biggest work, a queer scifi found family story in space, and it's completely free on her website. She has a great graphic memoir called Spinning as well.

I am gonna write a longer post cause I also love way too many graphic novels, but I wanted to say please post images it is fun.

Tillie Walden's stuff is real important to me, it's just some of the best stuff I've ever read. On a Sunbeam is incredible - Are You Listening? might be my favorite graphic novel of the last handful of years, it's so good.

It's difficult to separate comics from graphic novels I think. I'm not sure how to define them separately but a lot of the folks I really enjoy working in the medium make "comics" that feel like graphic novels and work across both "genres." Tom King's Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow feels like it straddles that line but it's also one of the best comics/graphic novels I've read in the last bit and he writes what folks would classify as both comics and graphics. Distinction feels nebulous.

Stuff I definitely have loved:
King City
Duncan the Wonder Dog
Laura Dean Keeps Breaking up With Me
Daytripper
The Spire
Berlin
The Many Deaths of Laila Starr
Rorshach

So many more, they're so good

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Major Isoor posted:

drat, that must've been great! That's a very cool experience, to hear about.

Was pretty cool to live through as well. (I was in middle school at the time). Later I would lend the comics to some of my friends, pacing them one issue per week at most, so they could emulate that aspect of the experience.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Alright, so this is more related to standard comic fare rather than one of the more fancy kinds of graphic novels. So, after it came up in the Book Holy Grails thread, I noticed and snagged the elusive (down here for a not-poo poo price, anyway) omnibuses for the 1998 Martian Manhunter run by Jon Ostrander (Son of Mars and Rings of Saturn), which should be here in a few weeks.

But what I'm wondering is, has anyone read any of the later issues? Since these two collections 'only' go up to issue 17, while I noticed that Jon Ostrander did a bunch more. Probably enough for another omni. So, are these actually considered 'required reading' after SoM and RoS, or is it basically just picking up with a new storyline, after RoS (hopefully) is properly concluded?
Since yeah, I'm mostly wondering whether I should consider trying to get these issues (as it doesn't look like they were put into a collection like the previous ones) but if SoM+RoS' arcs are concluded reasonably well, it's probably not worth it - certainly not at this stage, anyway.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I'm pretty sure the only graphic novel I own is the adaptation of the 9/11 Commission Report.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Cephas posted:

It's Lonely at the Center of the Earth by Zoe Thorogood is a virtuosic doom spiral of a graphic memoir about being a gifted kid with severe depression. The art in this is really bold.

My wife and I bought this after I saw it in this thread and I liked the art, so thanks for the recommendation.

It was a great read. I'd say it was relatable but then I feel like I'd just be part of that parade of con-goers that she wrote into the book

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
got this as a christmas present from my mom some years ago:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6347769-stuffed

it is...different. i can't really say i recommend it, but i can't say it sucks either. the art is mostly adequate, the writing is okay, the characters are not entirely believable , and the plot is absurd. but when it's all mixed together, it is something a bit greater then the sum of its parts. the line "right in the volcano!" sticks with me to this day.
if you like weird stuff, it might be your cuppa.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
might be a little obvious, but Marjane Satrapi's Persepolis is an interesting autobiographical account of growing up during Iran's Islamic Revolution, which also tries to tell the story of Iran itself

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i loved reading her books during my sophomore year of college + the movie is some excellent rear end animation

also

marjane satrapi posted:

I don't like 'graphic novel.' It's a word that publishers created for the bourgeois to read comics without feeling bad. Comics is just a way of narrating - it's just a media type.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
I finished Rusty Brown recently and drat that is good. I know it's pretty old hat to praise Chris Ware at this point, everyone knows what he can do, but he really does have a mastery of the medium, especially with pushing it in new directions. The layouts in the Jason Lint section especially are amazing. Relentlessly depressing though!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

FrumpleOrz posted:

I finished Rusty Brown recently and drat that is good. I know it's pretty old hat to praise Chris Ware at this point, everyone knows what he can do, but he really does have a mastery of the medium, especially with pushing it in new directions. The layouts in the Jason Lint section especially are amazing. Relentlessly depressing though!

I was gifted Building Stories for Christmas and it's gorgeous. I iwsh more comics were creative with their format.

Still not done reading it after half a year because I already have enough existential angst and neuroses.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Cephas posted:

I really like Tillie Walden's graphic novels. On a Sunbeam is her biggest work, a queer scifi found family story in space, and it's completely free on her website.
[…]
The World of Edena by Moebius is a completely wild journey through psychedelic time and space. It really showcases why Moebius was so influential.

Thanks for the recommendations, thread! Vacation time is here and I had some time for reading.

I started out with The Many Deaths of Laila Starr. I found it fun and loved the art. It has a refreshing non-western perspective on mythology and life, but I have a hard time looking past the fact that both Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman have covered the same ground before, both very well.

On a Sunbeam was my cup of tea, I love this kind of science-fantasy world building. I’d call it fantasy set in space rather than sci-fi since it’s thankfully free of any attempts to explain how or why the far-future universe seemingly has no planets, how people can live in free-flying houses in the void, how they have air to breathe, and how the all-women population reproduces. It just plops you down in the middle of it and lets you discover it by following the story.

I’d say the only weak point in the storytelling is the monologue about pronouns. It kind of took me out of the illusion for a bit. I suppose I just can’t believe that in this futuristic no-male utopia, some people would still not respect others’ preferred pronouns.

Gonna start on The Incal next. I expect to be taken right back into machismo world. Jodorowsky never struck me as a feminist.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Well, The Incal was certainly a trip. These guys have taken some hallucinogens over the years and it shows.

Very little of it makes any sense, but I guess there is something to be said for maximalism. At every turn, there is something more, something beyond or something inside. In a single sitting, it gets to be a bit much. Probably better as an episodic.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Finally sat down with Persepolis. Should have read this years ago. It’s finally back in print in Swedish!

I’m kind of burned out on autobiographical graphic novels but this is one not to miss, nonetheless. Satrapi uses every page at her disposal optimally. Everything in there has a point.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
yeah it's a very tight, focused work. i'm not a big fan of coming of age stories generally but i enjoyed Persepolis. the way Satrapi almost attacks her own right to tell the story (a religious, bourgeois Marxist who feels like an outsider everywhere portraying Iran for a primarily Western audience) and digs into tensions and contradictions makes an interesting read

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
Not a graphic novel, but I really enjoyed reading Maus Now, a collection of critical essays about Maus. They definitely increased my appreciation of Maus (which I'll have to reread; I haven't looked at it since high school) and point out all sorts of clever visual tricks I missed.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Has anyone read the old Teknophage comics? I found a cheap used trade that collects the series and it's god drat bonkers. It's about a 65 million year old dinosaur that now runs a megacorporation in a corporate fascist state and he rolls around in a giant skyscraper on tank treads that runs on the harvested souls of people. I don't know if it's a good series but it is unique. I guess Neil Gaiman came up with the concept and Rick Veitch wrote the story. No idea how involved Gaiman was after seeding the ideas but it's interesting satire on the end result of capitalism.

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

Not a graphic novel, but I really enjoyed reading Maus Now, a collection of critical essays about Maus. They definitely increased my appreciation of Maus (which I'll have to reread; I haven't looked at it since high school) and point out all sorts of clever visual tricks I missed.

I've been meaning to read that for a while. I revisited Maus after decades a few months back and I was surprised both at how well it holds up and how surprisingly understated the whole thing is. It's really matter-of-fact and an incredibly human work.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

FrumpleOrz posted:

Has anyone read the old Teknophage comics? I found a cheap used trade that collects the series and it's god drat bonkers. It's about a 65 million year old dinosaur that now runs a megacorporation in a corporate fascist state and he rolls around in a giant skyscraper on tank treads that runs on the harvested souls of people. I don't know if it's a good series but it is unique. I guess Neil Gaiman came up with the concept and Rick Veitch wrote the story. No idea how involved Gaiman was after seeding the ideas but it's interesting satire on the end result of capitalism..

I paged through the first few issues. An interesting idea but I think the execution is lacking. Maybe it gets better later?

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Nah, I'm sure it's never going to be good but I have to admire the weirdness of it, especially in the glut of stuff that was its contemporaries in the 90s. There were a couple pages of interesting layouts that make you follow word boxes all over the page in loops.

I'm just kinda fascinated by this strange little universe, even if it doesn't really work in the end. I ordered the books for the other two series that complement Teknophage because they're very cheap. I've heard Lady Justice is awful but curiosity has gotten the better of me.

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

i recommend anything by charles burns such as black hole or x'ed out

i also enjoyed puke force by the lightning bolt drummer

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Black Hole is loving awesome, completely underrated. I need to crack back into that one, I haven't read it in a while. One of the books where getting to read it while I was still in high school was a supreme privilege that I didn't even understand at the time.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

uggy posted:

Stuff I definitely have loved:
King City

Just wrapped up this. I love the art style and I giggled way more at the interminable puns and stupid visual gags than I should have.

Things I didn’t enjoy: The male gaze thing (ie how all the women are depicted). How the female characters only serve as a object of desire for the male protagonists.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Just wrapped up this. I love the art style and I giggled way more at the interminable puns and stupid visual gags than I should have.

Things I didn’t enjoy: The male gaze thing (ie how all the women are depicted). How the female characters only serve as a object of desire for the male protagonists.

Ya, brandon graham's stuff has serious issues with that. It's harder for me to revisit now than it was when I was younger, but I enjoy the world building and the art and the puns. King City is probably the least overtly sexual book of his I've read too - there's definitely a lot of sex that he draws and it's uhhh not great.

Love me some earthling tho, a good cat.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

uggy posted:

Ya, brandon graham's stuff has serious issues with that. It's harder for me to revisit now than it was when I was younger, but I enjoy the world building and the art and the puns. King City is probably the least overtly sexual book of his I've read too - there's definitely a lot of sex that he draws and it's uhhh not great.

Love me some earthling tho, a good cat.

Cat mastery rocks.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

Youremother posted:

Black Hole is loving awesome, completely underrated. I need to crack back into that one, I haven't read it in a while. One of the books where getting to read it while I was still in high school was a supreme privilege that I didn't even understand at the time.

It really disturbed me when I was in high school, but I loved it. I'm a little afraid to go back to it because I doubt it would hit again the same way.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Everyone should read Beanworld. It's brilliant stuff and I don't know why it's not more revered. The mixture of the 80s black-and-white stuff, classic Krazy Kat, and religious origin myths is great.

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

It really disturbed me when I was in high school, but I loved it. I'm a little afraid to go back to it because I doubt it would hit again the same way.

I just read Black Hole for the first time this year and I think you'll find a lot of interesting stuff in there as an adult.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

FrumpleOrz posted:

Everyone should read Beanworld. It's brilliant stuff and I don't know why it's not more revered. The mixture of the 80s black-and-white stuff, classic Krazy Kat, and religious origin myths is great.

I just read Black Hole for the first time this year and I think you'll find a lot of interesting stuff in there as an adult.

Beanworld is being posted in the PYF comics thread right now and I loving love it! It's everything I like in a work of fiction: bizarre intricate worldbuilding, cute stuff with weird dark undertones, fun characters, and long-spanning myth arcs where inscrutable powers play games with the ordinary lives of the characters. It's so loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Youremother posted:

Beanworld is being posted in the PYF comics thread right now and I loving love it! It's everything I like in a work of fiction: bizarre intricate worldbuilding, cute stuff with weird dark undertones, fun characters, and long-spanning myth arcs where inscrutable powers play games with the ordinary lives of the characters. It's so loving good.

I'm working my way through the second omnibus right now. I read the first one a while back and I was blown away. I love how it doesn't bother to explain why things are, they just are. The way the stories are told with plenty of repetition really makes it feel different from anything else.

Something about the Bone Zone and the Hoi-Polloi really creep me out in a good way too.