Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Free Market Mambo posted:

When I was a young mambo i was reading in bed with a bunch of books left out on the floor. My sister sleepwalked into my room, sat on the foot of my bed and pissed herself despite my yells of horror.

Most of the piss ended up on a copy of The Long Patrol. To this day "going on the long patrol" is a family euphemism for a trip to the bathroom.

:staredog:

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Obnoxious sig is obnoxious!! User loses posting privileges for 1 day.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Don’t post with your signature on or whatever the hell that was. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

Knock it off with the obnoxious signature. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

So this is just going to be a regular thing, huh? User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Vim cut it out with the sig shit

Seth Pecksniff posted:

You've been asked multiple times not to turn your sig on. I recognize it's different elsewhere but stop doing it here. User loses posting privileges for 3 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Nettle Soup posted:

Never did entirely work out Damsons.

small sour plums, op

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

small sour plums, op

Fun fact, you can make infused gin with these. Probably what those cellar hogs were up to in between the nut brown ale and greengage fizz

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Sloes are even better for gin - damsons aren’t quite as violently bitter and make good jam. Just while we’re Jacquing off

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

gonna bake some scones this week

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

CountryMatters posted:

with the first five words of this I initially thought you were going to write out the mole accent

also lol

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I tried but I never got into Redwall.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sloth Life posted:

I tried but I never got into Redwall.

You should try a villainous stratagem. Like a ladder or grapnels to scale the walls. Trust me

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

skasion posted:

You should try a villainous stratagem. Like a ladder or grapnels to scale the walls. Trust me

I'd suggest sapping the walls by digging but then I remembered about the moles. I imagine a blind tunnel fight with the moles to be the stuff of nightmares. Weird accents and violent ends.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Just walk around the outside of the walls a few times, I'm pretty sure there's a big switch or button in the undergrowth which'll throw open the gates to a secret tunnel once you push it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

See, this is why the bad guys never get in. The easiest way in is actually to walk up up, knock on the door, and then say you were just passing through and heard wonderful things about their scones.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

FoolyCharged posted:

See, this is why the bad guys never get in. The easiest way in is actually to walk up up, knock on the door, and then say you were just passing through and heard wonderful things about their scones.

This only works if you're a goodbeast, if you try this as a vermin they probably throw rocks at you and call you incomprehensible racial slurs

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

They do try the “just show up and ask to be let in” plan, pretty early on. It works! Unfortunately they ran out of good plan there

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I had the original book on cassette tape and would listen to it a whole bunch. It was actually narrated by Brian Jacques and had a whole cast of people voicing different characters. I had never heard an audiobook that did that before.

I remember getting really bored by almost all the rest except for Mattimeo and I think Marlfox, though Marlfox was carried by his cool mask. Something about those early books hit way harder than anything after, and I'm glad I either avoided or completely blanked on the weird deterministic nonsense. I liked listening to and reading about little mice fighting a cool evil pirate rat with a sick bell tower death scene.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I enjoyed maybe two or three books from this series. Then the next one I read was one of my first literary critical moments as a 12 year old or whatever I was when I read these. I thought "This is the exact same story as all the others I've read. Nothing has changed enough to make this worth my time" then I presumably spent that time much better on something much more important as a kid like riding bike or whatever.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

the story of a brave team of rabbit rangers is cut short when they all die from contracting myxomatosis. the end, no moral

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

That reminds me, the Long Patrol would have absolutely eaten poo poo if they'd had to deal with Watership Down, and I don't just mean their having to come to terms with the fact that rabbits and hares are coprophagic. Try wot wot wot wotting in-between giant-meals-and-righteously-justified-mass-murder at disease, snares, predation, fierce intraspecific hostility, and poison gas you smug pricks.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
Badgers are like so cool.

Remember, throwing your sword can save your skin.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
redwall ftw

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

redwall used to have a website with recipes from the books and also when you first went to the url, a voice would say "I'm Brian Jacques saying, 'Welcome, to Redwall Abbey, on the Internet.'"

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I went to a thing as a kid with Jacques there and I would say he read the first chapter of Redwall for a bunch of kids but actually he had it memorized and just told it as a story.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
So his name is pronounced like 'jacks' buy I always said it jah-keez

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

According to the audiobook it's pronounced Jakes.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

aniviron posted:

I went to a thing as a kid with Jacques there and I would say he read the first chapter of Redwall for a bunch of kids but actually he had it memorized and just told it as a story.

That kicks thunderous amounts of rear end

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

verbal enema posted:

That kicks thunderous amounts of rear end

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

i dont remember which book it was but i cried when the otter pirate died. i dont think i could get through that scene again without tears

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Pretty sure that's near the end of The Bellmaker.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah jeez spoilers.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

According to the audiobook it's pronounced Jakes.

He himself pronounced it Jakes when I saw him do a reading

rectulum
Aug 3, 2023

Great & Lovable
the only thing i remember from voraciously reading these as a kid is learning the word "vixen" and being pretty into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

MNIMWA posted:

redwall used to have a website with recipes from the books and also when you first went to the url, a voice would say "I'm Brian Jacques saying, 'Welcome, to Redwall Abbey, on the Internet.'"

lol one of my first memories of using the Internet was searching for redwall on the library computer and then printing some recipes from that website. I think my friends and I tried to make a few and failed horribly.

What book had some kind of ninja assassin weasel? There was some description of him knifing a guard so that the blade punctured the lung and the guard couldn't cry out, and I thought that was the most metal special ops thing at the time