Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
Ok nerds I know you all love Warhammer books. Post about books from Warhammer Fantasy, 40k, and whatever the hell Age of Sigmar is. What have you been reading lately? Which books are your favorites? Which author writes Warham books that are actually worth reading?

I finished The Infinite and The Divine by Robert Rath a couple weeks ago and the hype is real. It is, in fact, that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm currently reading The End and The Death Volume 1, it feels suitably epic so far

All the threads of the 60 (?) odd books before it finally coming together

:hellyeah:

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

I waiting for the 3rd Black Legion, and Bequin books. I refuse to read anything else from the Black Library in the meantime. :btroll:

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

I'm onto the third Eisenhorn book, Hereticus, just now. I'd never read any 40k books before these and so had no familiarity with the lore etc besides a vague awareness of the game's setting but they're p fun and easy to read. The idea of an inquisitor who was tortured and had the nerves in his face damaged so he can no longer smile and permanently frowns is so hilariously grimdark.

I'll probably move onto the Ravenor and Bequin series after this, but I also really wanna read Nate Crowley's Twice Dead King cos I've enjoyed his writing elsewhere (games journalism etc) and reckon his style would probably suit 40k p well.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
If anyone is trying to get a friend into these books, my gateway was Caiaphas Cain. Enough levity to still be fun despite the bleak setting.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

If anyone is trying to get a friend into these books, my gateway was Caiaphas Cain. Enough levity to still be fun despite the bleak setting.

Just don't binge-read them because they're all pretty much the same and it gets repetitive after a while. Still plenty of fun to be had as long as they're spaced out.

Modulo16 posted:

I waiting for the 3rd Black Legion, and Bequin books. I refuse to read anything else from the Black Library in the meantime. :btroll:

If I were to make a tier list of Black Library authors, ADB and Abnett would be at the top for sure. That third Black Legion book can't come soon enough.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I'm not a big necron guy but the infinite and divine took the whole "alive for untold millenia" thing seriously and was incredibly fun and unique as a result. tom and jerry space mummies playing century long pranks on each other and accidentally altering the evolution of an entire planet over the course of a few hundreds of thousands of years.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Nate Crowley's twice dead king books are excellent and his non-40k book the death and life of schneider wrack is even better.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Can anyone point me to a simple list of audio dramas available on audible. I on a whim spent a credit on Saga of the Mortal realms and The Gotrek Realmslayer audio dramas and had a good time listening as I biked. But it's hard to find the dramas among the audio books. And I got one collection, sacrosanct and other stories, that had some of the same stories from saga of the mortal.rwalms which sucks and had audio books mixed in with those dramas.

Gotrek the realmslayer had Brian blessed voice gotrek and it fuckin owned. It was also fun bc I had no idea wtf age of sigmar was when I got those dramas so it was funny to be like wtf is happening along with gotrek. He has a line where the character says something along the lines of "at least I didn't deny reality existed when you got here" and gotrek said something like " frankly reality was ridiculous". Age of sigmar really is ridiculous

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

EmbryoSteve posted:

Gotrek the realmslayer had Brian blessed voice gotrek and it fuckin owned. It was also fun bc I had no idea wtf age of sigmar was when I got those dramas so it was funny to be like wtf is happening along with gotrek. He has a line where the character says something along the lines of "at least I didn't deny reality existed when you got here" and gotrek said something like " frankly reality was ridiculous". Age of sigmar really is ridiculous

This sounds amazing.

I've always wanted to check out the Gotrek and Felix books but I don't really know where to start. Should I just pick up the first omnibus and go from there?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Famethrowa posted:

I'm not a big necron guy but the infinite and divine took the whole "alive for untold millenia" thing seriously and was incredibly fun and unique as a result. tom and jerry space mummies playing century long pranks on each other and accidentally altering the evolution of an entire planet over the course of a few hundreds of thousands of years.

I still lol at things like Necron plays being decades in length, and dudes in a meeting going without talking for years and when one finally does speak, his voice module is busted from disuse just from that meeting.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Cthulu Carl posted:

I still lol at things like Necron plays being decades in length, and dudes in a meeting going without talking for years and when one finally does speak, his voice module is busted from disuse just from that meeting.

it was laugh out loud funny at points without being an overt satire like ciaphas. might be a first for a 40k book.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mr. Fish posted:

This sounds amazing.

I've always wanted to check out the Gotrek and Felix books but I don't really know where to start. Should I just pick up the first omnibus and go from there?

Yeah I'd say go for it. There's a plot but you know all the beats most likely. The second story is when it hits its stride and we meet everyone's favourite rat.

I can't say it's brilliant literature. I can say it's great manchild fiction if you want some fun friends clowning on equally fun bad guys.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I've got a 'Cult of the Spiral Dawn' book, although I unfortunately haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Are there any good collections/anthologies or even lists, for specific races/theatres of war, by any chance? e.g. IGs such as the Catachan Rambo guys trying to go up against monsters or genestealers on jungle worlds, kinda thing?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

I've got a 'Cult of the Spiral Dawn' book, although I unfortunately haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Are there any good collections/anthologies or even lists, for specific races/theatres of war, by any chance? e.g. IGs such as the Catachan Rambo guys trying to go up against monsters or genestealers on jungle worlds, kinda thing?

the night lords omnibus is a really well done portrayal of the chaos guys from the perspective of a relatively sane heretic.

for imperial guard you can't beat Gaunt's Ghosts for a story in the mold of the Sharpe adventure novels. just rooting for the absolute underdogs as they fight stalingrad in space.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Major Isoor posted:

A few matchups that I thought were good reads:

Rebel Winter by Steve Parker has Vostroyan Firstborn vs Orks. A solid Imperial Guard book from the perspective of everyone's favorite space cossacks.

Day of Ascension by Adrian Tchaikovsky has Genestealer Cults infiltrating an Adeptus Mechanicus forge world. It's fun seeing two factions so far removed from baseline humanity going at it, especially when the xenos-infested cultists behave with more "humanity" than those working on behalf of the Imperium.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what, the guy who did Children of Time? neat

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
I loved Warhammer in 1992-95, again in 2000, and again the last couple of years

In all that time I've read exactly one Warhammer book.

Drachenfels by Jack Yeovil (who is apparently actually called Kim Newman) has held up surprisingly well. I read it when I was 13, and again last year, and it's a fun story, Detlef seems like a great bunch of lads and I liked the sexy vampire lady as well.

I refuse to believe there is any good 40K fiction.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Mr. Fish posted:

Day of Ascension by Adrian Tchaikovsky has Genestealer Cults infiltrating an Adeptus Mechanicus forge world. It's fun seeing two factions so far removed from baseline humanity going at it, especially when the xenos-infested cultists behave with more "humanity" than those working on behalf of the Imperium.

Oh poo poo, Children of Time and Children of Ruin were like my favorite books of the last couple of years. Have to give that 40k one a chance. :3:

Edit: drat, there's a third book in the series too!

2nd edit: Just bought them both. :dance:

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

has anyone read the forge of mars series? very good and very different

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

tidal wave emulator posted:

I'm onto the third Eisenhorn book, Hereticus, just now. I'd never read any 40k books before these and so had no familiarity with the lore etc besides a vague awareness of the game's setting but they're p fun and easy to read. The idea of an inquisitor who was tortured and had the nerves in his face damaged so he can no longer smile and permanently frowns is so hilariously grimdark.

I'll probably move onto the Ravenor and Bequin series after this, but I also really wanna read Nate Crowley's Twice Dead King cos I've enjoyed his writing elsewhere (games journalism etc) and reckon his style would probably suit 40k p well.

I love those books so much. Try to slot in the 4th Eisenhorn book, The Magos, after the Ravenor books. I think that's where it lands chronologically. There's some really neat short stories in there and the second half is more like a proper novel.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I couldn’t get into Eisenhorn. The silly psychic stuff isn’t for me.

Any 40k books more focused on ships and space battles and stuff?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Gambrinus posted:

I loved Warhammer in 1992-95, again in 2000, and again the last couple of years

In all that time I've read exactly one Warhammer book.

Drachenfels by Jack Yeovil (who is apparently actually called Kim Newman) has held up surprisingly well. I read it when I was 13, and again last year, and it's a fun story, Detlef seems like a great bunch of lads and I liked the sexy vampire lady as well.

I refuse to believe there is any good 40K fiction.

There's a whole trilogy of Genevieve and Detlef, also a really interesting Chaos dude.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Aaron Dembski Bowden >> Dan Abnett > Graham McNeill >>>>>>>> Any other 40k author I've read, (the number of greaterthans is not for effect).

That said, haven't read much 40k lately

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
No that's pretty accurate. Just avoid any Nick Kyme books. I'm sure he's a nice guy but he is not a good writer.

Gaunts Ghosts are probably the best 40k fiction gets, but it's still pretty much just mil Sci fi, i doubt BL will ever produce something like Dune or Cantical for lebowitz, or foundation or even like the Expanse.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Raere posted:

I couldn’t get into Eisenhorn. The silly psychic stuff isn’t for me.

Any 40k books more focused on ships and space battles and stuff?

There are at least 2 Battlefleet Gothic books. A Border Prince on youtube has done an excellent audiobook version of at least one of them, maybe both by now.

OldBones
Dec 5, 2022
Chiming in to also recommend the Gaunt's Ghosts series. The stories are a lot more "human" than a lot of those found in the Horus Heresy as they're not focused on following genetically engineered Space Marines. Just regular people trying to do their best in the face of insurmountable odds.

Also the first 3 books in the Horus Heresy are some of my favourites, especially in that they have a consistent story arc that introduces the series well. That's where I started and I think its a great place for newcomers :)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

OldBones posted:

Chiming in to also recommend the Gaunt's Ghosts series. The stories are a lot more "human" than a lot of those found in the Horus Heresy as they're not focused on following genetically engineered Space Marines. Just regular people trying to do their best in the face of insurmountable odds.

Also the first 3 books in the Horus Heresy are some of my favourites, especially in that they have a consistent story arc that introduces the series well. That's where I started and I think its a great place for newcomers :)

Yea, Abnett has a knack for making the Imperium and the whole 40k setting as a functional society. You have books where the ghosts are in places that aren't war zones and interacting with normal people and nothings exploding and there's no aliens or daemons.

They also become way less Sharpe's in Space as things go on.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Folks, read Chris Wraight's Vaults of Terra trilogy. The best Inquisition fiction I've read since Eisenhorn. His Horus Heresy books on the White Scars are also drat good.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
there needs to be more books focusing on the only good guys in the setting, the orks

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mr. Fish posted:

Folks, read Chris Wraight's Vaults of Terra trilogy. The best Inquisition fiction I've read since Eisenhorn. His Horus Heresy books on the White Scars are also drat good.

Its gotta be better than those weird Inqusitor books from the early 90s. Though the Imperial First who carves the names of his dead squadmates into his arm bones is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I like it in Ian Watson’s Space Marine when the Imperial Fists board a tyranid vessel via sphincter and are extremely, unashamedly gay for each other