Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Figured to create a thread for Sports Sims discussion for games that aren't popular enough to get their own thread (stuff like the Draft Day Sports pro/college baskeball/football games, OOTP, EHM/FHM etcetera)

Just had the weirdest game of Out of the Park 24:

A bit of a background to this, I'm doing a "Random debut" historical sim. The game adds a few players as international complex/foreign free agents.

Nastore Sacratini is a game-generated international find. He's.. not great. He's the #81 prospect in the game, but only 2*/2.5* ability/pot. That says a lot about the opponent's pitching staff

it's opening day 1948, and Sacratini is the opponent's starter and could not find the strike zone consistently.

He walked the first FOUR batters he faced (first time I've ever seen that happen), walks a fifth later that inning. We end up scoring 4 runs on 1 hit (Walked in, Fielders Choice, and a 2 run signal). He wasn't walking folks on 4 pitches either, he got to 3-2 four times that inning.

They get one back, but they sent him back out after a 45 pitch first inning, and we started the whole thing all over again, walking the bases loaded the first three batters he faced... (I imagine the manager was probably having a stroke due to high blood pressure due to stress, which is the only reason he wasn't pulled.)

He managed to get out of that jam without a run, somehow, and makes it to the fourth, where what tenuous shreds of control he had started to leave. He walks three more that inning (we score twice making it 6-3).

He manages to get one out in the fifth (The fact that he was sent out to pitch the fifth should be investigated as a Geneva Convention violation), before his manager comes and mercifully (?) ends his day.

His final line? 4.1 Innings, 3 H, 6 Runs (All Earned), 2K, 12 walks... 134 pitches!

Now, the second half of the game, was my fault. I let my starter go too long myself. Basically, whenever I would get a man up in the bullpen he would get out of trouble, and because I don't want pitchers using up "ready" status while I'm at bat, I would sit the reliever down, and forget to put him back to warming up with 1 or 2 out, so I'd have to start from cold again, rinse and repeat.

So, I finally put in 37 year old Christy Mathewson in up 9-5 in the ninth. He's the last bullpen arm, and I just wanted to get the opening day win, so I just threw him in there. He got two quick outs, but a double, an error and a single led to the bases loaded. I was going to put another reliever in, but what are the odds that one batter will hit a grand slam?

Don't tell me the odds.

So it's 9-9, but thankfully we walk it off in the bottom of the ninth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
One thing that's a bit of a pain in historical fictional sims in OOTP is ballpark capacity. It's a pain to have to go through every decade or so and modify the capacity of every major league stadium because the baseline attendance is way higher then teams capacity.

Plus stadium dimensions change in time (more in the modern era than past eras, but it still happens)

I would love something (Probably in the League Evolution check box section) for stadium expansion and change.

When triggered (possibly a subroutine could check attendance baseline vs capacity, or if a team would have significantly higher attendance in a new stadium), it would do one of two things:

1) Expand the stadium (either keeping the current dimensions, modifying them slightly, or going hog wild)

2) Generate a new stadium, either randomly, by GM/Manager creation, or selected from a file of pre-made stadiums

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Talk about an embarassment of riches: This is the rotation of DOOM I picked up in my fictional 1956 season in OOTP:

1. Jeff Baird (26-8, 2.27 ERA, 300.2 IP, 225 Hits allowed, 94 BB, 345 K, 10.6 WAR) We drafted him in 1943 with the 17th pick in the first round He may be my sim's first unanimous Hall of Famer (the top vote getters have 99.6%). 7 Time Cy Young (not including this year), 4 Time MVP. Approaching 4500 strikeouts for his career, and with two more god-tier seasons (he's near 36, so probable that he has at least 2-3 more good seasons), could hit 5000 (4484). 288-121 for his career, and a mindboggling Career WAR 122.1

2. Alfonso Soto (25-7, 2.86, 295.2 IP, 276 Hits Allowed, 90 BB, 254 K, 9.4 WAR)Another player picked up through the draft, the 2nd pick in round 2 in 1940 is 38, but he's also pretty much a guaranteed Hall of Famer, 4 Time Pitcher of the Year, 2 MVP's. 332 Wins in his career. Thank goodness he doesn't mind playing 2nd fiddle to Jeff, because that's a historic 1-2 punch. 119.9 WAR

3. Christian Morris (28-7. 2.27 ERA, 305 IP, 260 Hits allowed, 80 BB, 223 K, 8.8 WAR) Talk about a recovery. He has missed a ton of time over the last few years (9-10 months out in 1952 with a torn labrum, then a torn rotator cuff in late 1954 with a setback after surgery that made him go 18 months without even being able to throw a baseball. We got him for a very good but not great pitching prospect just before the season started (currently the #15 ranked prospect).

4. Chad Yenser (22-10, 2.90 ERA, 282.2 IP, 231 H, 109 BB, 254 K, 7.0 WAR) We got him via trade in the 1954-55 offseason, and he's been a great pitcher, just the fourth best on this roster. Fun fact, he would probably be the most annoying of the Big four to hit, as he has SIX pitches rated at 50+ (Fastball, Curveball, Changeup, Sinker, Splitter, Cutter). Good luck focusing on one pitch to hit.

Finished the regular season 115-47, was taken to seven games in the divisional series (as the top seeds they skipped the Qualification Series), but then won the Eagle League Championship Series in 5 games (over San Jose), and swept the Milwaukee Express in the US Series. First title in nearly a decade.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I need to get back into OOTP. I have so much fun with it when I really dig in but I know how much of my time it’ll take up so I don’t play that often.

Last year I dragged the Reds to a first season World Series victory and retired haha.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
My super pitcher Jeff Baird has finally retired after the 1961 season ( I had to demote him to the pen, as he was dropping fast, and had a large contract for 1962 tied into a 22 games started clause). Thankfully we won the title, but this is the stats he ended his career with.

387 Wins, 172 Losses, 1 Save (final year), 2.72 ERA, 5125 1/3 IP, 4101 Hits Allowed, 1773 BB issued, 5,875 K. Career WAR: 157.5

9 Time Pitcher of the Year (really should be renamed the Jeff Baird award), 6 MVP, 4 Championships, 15-time All Star.

To go with that, his performance in 7 World Baseball Tournaments: (20-7, 2 SV, 2.07 ERA, 430 K)

He had over 6,300 K in competitive highest level play.

Pitcher of the year: 1946-1950 inclusive (5 in a row), 1953, 1955, 1956, 1958

MVP: 1947, 1949, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1958.

Enjoy your retirement. See you in Cooperstown