Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

our cousins lie about the family tree with nieces and nephews and Neanderthals. We do not like annoying cousins

Hello extremely! I hope you like to *play*.

Some *campers* are not so good for *games*.

Is it time for *playing* yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

SilentW posted:

Crysis Legion is pretty good, way better than a video game book has any right to be.

The Crysis novelization he did is legitimately one of my favorite books of his. I re-read it once every couple years, and it's just a joy each time. I mean...the events in the book aren't joyful, but it's just fun reading his "take" on the game's world/setting.

If you like Watts at all, I'd recommend reading this. I think it's relatively short, and you don't need to know anything about Crysis to get into it.

Jenny Agutter posted:

In Crysis: Legion the main character is supposed to be a dumb marine but he keeps using flowery language (it is framed as a first person interview) and the explicit excuse is the nanosuit makes him use big words

One of the better parts of the novel, imo. By the end the main character and the suit have become one gestalt entity, a true post-human. I love his slow slide into it, like how at one point he's straight up cannibalizing dead corpses using some super technology in the suit and he's all like "what? I need the biomass for energy". The narration framing device, of him describing this all to some unseen military person in a debriefing, is also a good example of him just clowning on everybody with his now genius-level intellect. There's also a bit of meta-humor where the debriefing officer says something to the effect of "how are you describing this all from memory in such specific detail, this isn't possible" and he's like "suit recorded it, whatever". It's so good.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The Crysis 2 book is one of the reasons I’m the only person on the planet who loves Crysis 2. I even hosed around with it a bit to tune up the enemy AI, especially the aliens.

It was really disappointing when Crysis 3 looped back around to “the suit isn’t as important as the power of the human spirit”.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I love crysis 2 as well, but I haven’t finished the book. Did think it was funny that Alcatraz in the book uses the same strat I use in game, sneak past as many enemies as possible and then accidentally uncloak in the middle of a group

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
When reading I could never get my head around Siri and thought it was a bit absurd to have a «human chinese room» but then later I learned that there are people in real life who can’t visualize in their mind at all, and some of them are pretty darn good artists in spite of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
that's me although not the good artist part

sorry you're constantly hallucinating i guess