Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Problem description: The 'D' key on my laptop doesn't work if pressed by itself. If I hold down literally any other key, then the d key registers. For example, Shift+d produces capital d, Ctrl+d works as a shortcut, and even holding down a key like Insert or Escape when I hit the d key lets it register. This happens at all times, including the Windows login screen.

Attempted fixes: I have tried running Windows Update, restarting my laptop, reinstalling my keyboard drivers, disabling all non-Microsoft startup programs, and booting in Safe Mode. I followed a tutorial to remove the offending key, clean it, and reinsert it. I've gone through my running programs to see if anything was capturing the d key but found nothing. Current workaround is to put a paperweight on my disabled numpad which lets me use my keyboard normally.

Recent changes: None that I know of, the issue began seemingly randomly yesterday.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

System specs: Lenovo Legion 5 15ARH05H
AMD Ryzen 7 4800H with Radeon Graphics, 2900 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
16Gb RAM

Thanks for any advice.

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's probably a physical problem with the keyboard. There are a few things you can do to check. First I'd go to somewhere like https://keyboard-test.space/, and play around and see what buttons allow the D to register. If there's a pattern of other non-modifier keys that, when pressed, allow D to work, it's almost certainly the hardware that has failed. If every other key allows the D key to work, maybe it's some other type of weird issue.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Thanks for the advice. It stopped working at all now so I'm satisfied that the issue is hardware and ordered a new keyboard. I have a teardown video to help me replace it but it feels like the process has gotten a lot more time consuming than when I last attempted it in the 2000s.