Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

gonna post spoilers because this movie absolutely kicked rear end in a way maybe no 4th entry in a series has

* I have no idea how they did the scene in the traffic circle with guys continually getting smashed by cars. I was absolutely losing my mind by like the 4th time a guy got rung up on the hood of a car

* posted about this in the fight scene thread but the scene that started eye level then moved to an isometric dollhouse-style shot of wick blowing guys up with fire bullets, then back down, then up again was crazy. Never seen anything like that.

* going up and down the staircase was hosed up. Can’t believe some poor stuntman had to do that fall

* loving nunchuks. Hell yea.

* donnie yen absolutely owned. To do all the poo poo he did while also acting blind was crazy. Loved it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The opening action scene in Osaka was so good I didn't even touch my popcorn through the whole thing. Just staring at the screen in complete rapt awe.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

absolutely fuckin incredible. they made a three hour action flick that didnt drag for a nanosecond and every action scene was unique and kickass

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

rina sawayama using her knives to climb up the back of a big guy and fuckin kill him was just jaw-dropping

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Punished Chuck posted:

The opening action scene in Osaka was so good I didn't even touch my popcorn through the whole thing. Just staring at the screen in complete rapt awe.

hell yeah. just one set piece after another. Was impressed by the daughter’s scene against the armored mooks, felt like she did a good job selling the fight and could hang with the other badasses. Would watch her in something else.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Fungah! posted:

rina sawayama using her knives to climb up the back of a big guy and fuckin kill him was just jaw-dropping

Yes!!!!! gently caress I forgot about that. So insane.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i'd 100% watch a rina sawayama vs. donnie yen spinoff in a fuckin nanosecond

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

read some interview with the director and apparently that was keanu reeves gettin hit by all those cars, dude does some incredible stunts. he 100% didnt do the stair roll though lol

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

During the scene in the card room (?) in Berlin when i saw one guy randomly holding an axe before the fighting started I was like the Leo pointing meme lol. so hype when like 7 more axe guys came out of nowhere

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

buffalo all day posted:

During the scene in the card room (?) in Berlin when i saw one guy randomly holding an axe before the fighting started I was like the Leo pointing meme lol. so hype when like 7 more axe guys came out of nowhere

tht card scene makes no fuckin sense lol, just badass gibberish. love the fight afterwards though

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

whole audience gasping in unison when the big guy hits the ground

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

whole audience gasping in unison when the big guy hits the ground

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I enjoyed the film but I was laughing anytime the great Clancy Brown showed up imagining him bitch about his wack rear end job, like it’s purely just a paycheck for him and he doesn’t know or want to know any of this weird bullshit. Muttering as he walks off screen about taking that offer from Staples

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The entire theatre moaned and cried in despair when he fell down those stairs lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

The entire theatre moaned and cried in despair when he fell down those stairs lol

lol same, absolutely incredible

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fungah! posted:

absolutely fuckin incredible. they made a three hour action flick that didnt drag for a nanosecond and every action scene was unique and kickass

wtf the movie was 3 hours?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I honestly left thinking "wish it was longer".

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

mine all laughed..I haven't heard a comedy beat hit like that in a theater in a longass time

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

mine all laughed..I haven't heard a comedy beat hit like that in a theater in a longass time

Same lol

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Saw this the other week. Everything about it was solid, except John's dog. I feel they neglected him completely, then just chucked him in at for the final scene as an afterthought. Would've been nice if Winston had brought him over for the duel, so John could've said goodbye to him on the stairs :unsmith:

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

That dog had real Willie Scott vibes. He was never gonna fill the void the wife dog left and he accepted it. I would like a spin-off about the dog.

----------------

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

That DICK! posted:

That dog had real Willie Scott vibes. He was never gonna fill the void the wife dog left and he accepted it. I would like a spin-off about the dog.

Me too, honestly! (Maybe even forming a trio with those two dogs in JW3, I think? The ones with the stab-proof vests that fought alongside Wick)

Also, I found it odd in JW3 how he went through the hassle of wandering the desert and losing his finger, only to turn around and make that sacrifice meaningless, mere minutes later.
I think it would've been better if John was that nomad Table leader guy's pawn up until the start of JW4 or something. (Obviously with slight plot adjustments) Since then they cohld have the dynamic where John's his reluctant hitman for the inter-movie timeskip, before having enough of it at the start of JW4 or something. I dunno

sube
Nov 7, 2022

my favourite part of the movie was everything related to his family especially the fight against Killa

Fungah! posted:

read some interview with the director and apparently that was keanu reeves gettin hit by all those cars, dude does some incredible stunts. he 100% didnt do the stair roll though lol

lol drat

sube
Nov 7, 2022

hope the sequel features more of mr. nobody, i found him really cool

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Mine laughed when he went out that third story window at actual speed

----------------

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

sube posted:

hope the sequel features more of mr. nobody, i found him really cool

Oh, the guy with the dog? Yeah me too. I was hoping they'd actually reveal something about him in the movie which would explain why he was so invested in all this, but nothing ever came. So there's gotta be some plans to expand ipon him in the spin-offs, surely

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Disagree! It's fine for secondary characters to have ambiguous motivations and not need whole acts or movies describing their backstories. It's made pretty clear that Nobody has a chip on his shoulder about not being taken seriously by the Table/Families/Marquis despite his obvious skill and that he admires Wick for being the only person in his life to show him kindness

----------------

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

gonna watch 3 tonight, good move y/n

----------------

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

sebmojo posted:

gonna watch 3 tonight, good move y/n

It’s the worst one of the 4 and feels too long (unlike 4) but still has great action, plus it has mad dog from the raid

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
4 > 3 > 1 > 2 imo

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

1=4>3>2

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The idea of someone not having 2 at the bottom is, frankly, insane to me. Although the whole catacombs sequence is one of the best in the franchise.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

gently caress yeah that owned

Surprised at the level of major testicle trauma though, seems like every few minutes someone was getting their crotch punched, chewed off or obliterated by gunfire, para-ball-um more like

----------------

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Punished Chuck posted:

The idea of someone not having 2 at the bottom is, frankly, insane to me. Although the whole catacombs sequence is one of the best in the franchise.

you’ve answered your own question here

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

this

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Yep, this seems like a reasonable assessment to me. A little too much suit armour in JW4 in my opinion (I dunno, EVERYONE having it for the first half hour or so makes it less... unique/cool?) but otherwise both it and the original were excellent.
I did enjoy the catacombs though, so I'd be tempted to put 2 and 3 as the same... hard to say without a rewatch though, as it's been a while

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

catacombs and th knife fight with common are sick but 2 is really fuckin boring for big chunks of it. 3's big fights are as good imo and it doesn't drag as hard

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021
when I saw them doing to spike on the stairs scene at the end I had to look away from the screen

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021

Major Isoor posted:

Yep, this seems like a reasonable assessment to me. A little too much suit armour in JW4 in my opinion (I dunno, EVERYONE having it for the first half hour or so makes it less... unique/cool?) but otherwise both it and the original were excellent.
I did enjoy the catacombs though, so I'd be tempted to put 2 and 3 as the same... hard to say without a rewatch though, as it's been a while

The suit armor is overdone a little I agree but I noticed that a lot of the street level mooks at the end didn't have it. So at least there's consistency with who has a suit ("Nobody" I think doesn't have it at all?). The dragonsbreath scene is an all time cinema moment. When John picks it up its like Mario getting a super star lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I was kinda dissapointed that those two huge sumo guys didn't get more of a chance to wreck poo poo.