Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I’ve been playing with ChatGPT 4.0 and its TTRPG/CYOA capabilities. So I thought that I’d like to try and experiment where we explore a world created by the Assistant, populated by the Assistant and prompted by me. Having said that I do find that the prompting does take a fair bit of finessing to get outputs I like. But I like finessing it so it works out quite well.

If you’d like to participate please suggest a prompt for a setting for our adventure. It can be completely original, you can ask it to base it off an existing IP (although I’ll probably ask it to white label it) or some kind of mix of the two. If there’s a number of different options with none having a clear following I’ll choose the one I like best. If there’s a consensus around a particular setting then I’ll run with that (assuming it’s agreeable).

Also, I’d appreciate suggestions for a rule system for adjudicating matters of chance. I’m leaning toward some pseudo PbtA with 4 stats and then improvising but any relatively rules lite would be good. If it’s rules heavy then I’d just have more work tracking things but perhaps it could work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
A lost ancient city, populated by forgotten gods and the spirits of mortals who died unmourned.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
A peaceful world where violence reign supreme, it also have way too many birds

The Wandering Mage
Jul 22, 2010
Two thousand years ago the scourge of the Titans was finally ended. Their monstrous forms laid upon the earth to form hills and mountains as the seasons came and went. The remnants of humanity, saved by angelic intercession sent by the Assistant, began rebuilding civilization. We find the Assistant in the city of Beginnings, wandering the market stalls in the disguise of their avatar.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

An alternate universe where Carthage decisively won the Punic Wars and vassalized a humiliated and crippled Rome. The beliefs of the time regarding the supernatural and natural worlds are largely correct. Blood sacrifice can fuel magic effects with power directly correlated with the size and 'quality' of the offering. An elephant can power a citywide longevity blessing for a day and a lion can improve the battle prowess of a combat unit for one battle, while a human can power a permanent complex enchantment to an object. Religion has changed to reflect this, with an emphasis on Divinities of Fertility, Prosperity, Death, War, and Dominance.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

For rules, we have Eight Primary Stats:

Intellect
Perception
Confidence
Swole
Sturdy
Agility
People
*Wild Card for Magic or Whatever*

We have a score from 1 to 6 for each Stat.

A check uses 1d10 per Stat score of the sum of the two Stats that make the most sense regarding the check with a difficulty scale of 2 to 100.

Physical Attack uses Swole+Agility, Inspire Troops uses People+Confidence, Solve Puzzle uses Intellect+Perception, and so forth.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The magic circle formed by the M25 Motorway is activated by accident and the entire contents to a depth of a few hundred feet is transported across the galaxy to a lush planet inhabited by two sapient species both in roughly the equivalent of Earth's mesolithic period. Greater London and its people must attempt to survive, deal with the ethical implications of their high tech presence, try to understand the aliens, and try to figure out if there's a way back home.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 18, 2023

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I feel it would be better to make the rule after the setting is decided.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I had the idea of feeding the assistant all the suggested settings and asking it to synthesize them. Thoughts? Intriguing or do you think it’ll just lead to muddying the water?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Feed it, then post the result as submission and we will vote on all of them.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
So keep them separate and then have the assistant generate a pitch for each which participants vote on? Could be interesting, I suppose it reduces the chance that we get one pitch that’s popular at this stage but fails in the execution. Maybe include the amalgam dimension as an option.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Throw it all in the pond, see what floats to the top.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah IMO just try stuff out and go with whatever you like best, combos or all at once or whatever. My limited experience with these AIs is that you get a lot of drek to filter out and have to be selective to get the good stuff, so my vote is to do that.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Blasphemaster, think you can reflavor your suggestion so the power system isn't blood fueled?

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah IMO just try stuff out and go with whatever you like best, combos or all at once or whatever. My limited experience with these AIs is that you get a lot of drek to filter out and have to be selective to get the good stuff, so my vote is to do that.

Yeah, fair enough. I guess I'll toy around a big and see which option or combo sounds the most fun.

I'll leave up making suggestions until Monday-ish.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Switch up blood sacrifice for Cults of various interchangeable pantheons of the time, which have rituals and religious festivals to achieve the same results. Plus animal cultists that tattoo themselves with ink made from the ashes of sacred beasts, and which grant them power, because that's neat.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Prompt: I would like to run a forum based CYOA and have asked posters to suggest prompts for a setting. Can you please take their prompts and flesh them out into TTRPG campaign settings, give them a title, and propose how we might have an adventure in each one.

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

A lost ancient city, populated by forgotten gods and the spirits of mortals who died unmourned.

Title: Echoes of the Unseen
In the heart of the uncharted jungle lies the ancient city of Xanadu, a place of spectral beauty and haunting echoes. Populated by forgotten gods and the spirits of the unremembered dead, it is a city of paradoxes, where time seems to stand still and the air is thick with the weight of untold stories. The gods, once mighty, now forgotten, yearn for recognition and worship, while the spirits of the unremembered dead seek solace and release.

The adventurers, drawn to Xanadu by dreams, prophecies, or sheer curiosity, must navigate the spectral streets, negotiate with capricious gods, and soothe restless spirits. Their quest could involve recovering a lost artifact, laying a tormented spirit to rest, or perhaps even restoring a forgotten god to its former glory. The city itself, with its ethereal beauty and eerie echoes of the past, will be as much a character in this campaign as any NPC.

Nyaa posted:

A peaceful world where violence reign supreme, it also have way too many birds

Title: The Serene Storm
Welcome to the world of Seraph, a paradoxical realm where tranquility and violence coexist in a delicate balance. Here, the air is filled with the constant fluttering of wings, as countless birds of all shapes and sizes fill the skies. Yet, beneath this seemingly peaceful facade, a brutal struggle for survival rages.

The adventurers might be natives of this world, or perhaps outsiders who have somehow found themselves in this strange land. They could be drawn into territorial disputes between different bird species, or perhaps they might find themselves in the middle of a power struggle between the avian gods. The campaign could involve quests to retrieve sacred eggs, mediate between warring bird clans, or even change the nature of the world itself.

The Wandering Mage posted:

Two thousand years ago the scourge of the Titans was finally ended. Their monstrous forms laid upon the earth to form hills and mountains as the seasons came and went. The remnants of humanity, saved by angelic intercession sent by the Assistant, began rebuilding civilization. We find the Assistant in the city of Beginnings, wandering the market stalls in the disguise of their avatar.

Title: The Assistant's Burden
The city of Beginnings is a beacon of hope in a world scarred by the Titans' rampage. The Assistant, an angelic being who played a crucial role in humanity's survival, now walks among the people, guiding them towards a brighter future. Yet, even as civilization begins to flourish once more, old threats stir in the shadows.

The adventurers, drawn to the city by the Assistant's call, could find themselves embroiled in a variety of quests. They might be tasked with uncovering a plot to resurrect the Titans, mediating disputes between different factions within the city, or even journeying to distant lands to spread the message of the Assistant. The campaign could also explore the nature of the Assistant itself, and the burden it carries as the savior of humanity.

Blasphemaster posted:

An alternate universe where Carthage decisively won the Punic Wars and vassalized a humiliated and crippled Rome. The beliefs of the time regarding the supernatural and natural worlds are largely correct. Blood sacrifice can fuel magic effects with power directly correlated with the size and 'quality' of the offering. An elephant can power a citywide longevity blessing for a day and a lion can improve the battle prowess of a combat unit for one battle, while a human can power a permanent complex enchantment to an object. Religion has changed to reflect this, with an emphasis on Divinities of Fertility, Prosperity, Death, War, and Dominance.

Title: The Punic Ascendancy
In this alternate universe, Carthage stands as the undisputed ruler of the known world, its power unchallenged after its decisive victory over Rome. The gods of Fertility, Prosperity, Death, War, and Dominance hold sway over the people, their influence shaping every aspect of life in this world.

The adventurers, whether they are Carthaginian citizens, Roman vassals, or outsiders from distant lands, could find themselves drawn into a myriad of intrigues and adventures. They might be tasked with negotiating trade agreements, investigating mysterious occurrences linked to the gods, or even leading a rebellion against Carthaginian rule. The campaign could also delve into the supernatural aspects of this world, with quests involving divine intervention, mythical creatures, and powerful artifacts.

Leperflesh posted:

The magic circle formed by the M25 Motorway is activated by accident and the entire contents to a depth of a few hundred feet is transported across the galaxy to a lush planet inhabited by two sapient species both in roughly the equivalent of Earth's mesolithic period. Greater London and its people must attempt to survive, deal with the ethical implications of their high tech presence, try to understand the aliens, and try to figure out if there's a way back home.

Title: The M25 Incident
The activation of the M25 magic circle has transported Greater London and its inhabitants to a lush alien planet, home to two sapient species in their mesolithic period. Stranded in this strange new world, the people of London must navigate the challenges of survival, ethical dilemmas, and inter-species diplomacy, all while seeking a way back home.

The adventurers, as part of the displaced Londoners, could be tasked with a variety of missions. They might need to establish communication with the alien species, explore the new planet for resources, or investigate the workings of the M25 magic circle in hopes of finding a way back to Earth. The campaign could involve elements of survival, diplomacy, and high-tech vs low-tech conflicts, all set against the backdrop of an alien world teeming with unknown dangers and possibilities.

————

I feel like it did better with the shorter prompts than the more detailed ones but I think it might also be a problem with me trying to do it all in one message. I’ll probably send a message for each setting and see if it can flesh things out better that way. Asking it to create some key NPCs and factions and a protagonist.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Here’s a system for attribute in Echoes of the Unseen:

God Fame: (Forgotten —- World Renowned)
As more inhabitants of the city of Xanadu recall and recognize your god, the more influence the god’s power can affect the city and its inhabitants. Miracle and changing the law of physic at temporary basis with limit duration before Xanadu reverts back to the norm.

God Law: (Number of concurrent law)
Permenant miracle/changes enacted within the domain/city-section of the god, Xanadu and God of higher fame can temporary change it before reverting back to the God’s setting. Improve all relevant dice roll.

quote:

The city itself, with its ethereal beauty and eerie echoes of the past, will be as much a character in this campaign as any NPC.
Xanadu Sanction: (Weakly - Strongly)
The city of Xanadu is more than a structure, it’s an unknown existence that have a will of its own that can excert its will and make changes according to what seems like random AI logic. Not much is known, but its ‘acknowledgment’ will greatly boost the boon or curse that it enact upon the situation.

GM note: AI random decide what will happen and this score boost the scale of the effect, but will try to make it favorable to those it prefer. Xanadu always prioritizes non-god NPC.

Agent’s Devotion: (Faithless —- Martyr)
The only stat of your believer. Their faith in you will help channel your blessing better to assist all its action toward suceess or intended failure. They can only blame themselves If they fail, it’s clealy they lack faith in you unless disrupted by other factors.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Shall we flesh out Echoes of the Unseen a bit more then? From those stats it sounds like the protagonist will be a forgotten God starting to remember themselves. Maybe there’s some arena of the gods where gods who have asserted more of their form and domain throw gods who are barely cohesive into combat then gods who win in the arena gain fame and recognition and gradually become more aware of their own ego and desire.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

They are narrative focused stats, so it can also be play as agent's perspective who help their god remember.

The agent will be using the god’s stat when they prey for help. Knowing the AI, our god is probably schizo unfathomably wise.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I’ve been chewing on how to run this and I thought a nation state game where we choose one of the nations suggested in the various settings and then have to establish ourselves in relation to them.

So the nations would be like

Isekai London
Godlings (mortals possessed by the spirits of forgotten gods)
Bird people (maybe mix them Stone Age people)

Maybe throw in some other fantasy trope nations with a twist like techno orcs and poet drow.

I asked GPT to reflavor the blades actions to a national level and got this:

quote:

Sure, here's how you might adapt the Blades in the Dark actions to a national scale:

**Actions**

When you **Diplomacy (Attune)**, you open your nation's mind to the power of negotiation and understanding.

You might communicate with another nation's leader. You could try to perceive the political landscape to better understand your situation (but Surveying might be better).

When you **Decree (Command)**, you compel swift obedience from your nation.

You might intimidate or threaten another nation to get what you want. You might lead a national initiative in a group action. You could try to order other nations around to persuade them (but Diplomacy might be better).

When you **Ally (Consort)**, you socialize with friendly nations and contacts.

You might gain access to resources, information, people, or places. You might make a good impression or win a nation over with your charm and style. You might make new allies or connect with your nation's heritage or background. You could try to manipulate your allies with political pressure (but Sway might be better).

When you **Strategize (Finesse)**, you employ dextrous manipulation or subtle misdirection on a national scale.

You might subtly influence another nation's policies. You might handle the controls of a complex political situation or direct a national strategy. You could try to employ those strategies in a chaotic international crisis (but Skirmishing might be better).

When you **Espionage (Hunt)**, you carefully track a target nation.

You might follow a nation's activities or discover their secret plans. You might arrange a covert operation. You might attack with precision using intelligence agencies.

When you **Infiltrate (Prowl)**, you traverse the international scene skillfully and quietly.

You might sneak past another nation's defenses or hide your true intentions. You might run covert operations. You might attack someone from hiding with a surprise diplomatic move.

When you **Conflict (Skirmish)**, you entangle a target nation in conflict so they can’t easily escape.

You might engage in a trade war or wrestle with them diplomatically. You might seize or hold a position in an international dispute.

When you **Research (Study)**, you scrutinize details and interpret evidence on a national scale.

You might gather information from international reports, newspapers, and books. You might do research on an esoteric topic. You might closely analyze a nation to detect lies or true intentions.

When you **Forecast (Survey)**, you observe the international situation and anticipate outcomes.

You might spot telltale signs of trouble before it happens. You might uncover opportunities or weaknesses. You might detect a nation’s motivations or intentions.

When you **Propaganda (Sway)**, you influence with guile, charm, or argument on a national scale.

You might lie convincingly on the international stage. You might persuade another nation to do what you want. You might argue a compelling case that leaves no clear rebuttal.

When you **Innovate (Tinker)**, you fiddle with national policies and mechanisms.

You might create a new policy or alter an existing one. You might disable an international agreement or treaty. You might turn the technological devices around the nation to your advantage.

When you **Sabotage (Wreck)**, you unleash savage force on a national scale.

You might smash down a trade agreement or wall with a sledgehammer, or use an explosive to do the same. You might employ chaos or sabotage to create a distraction or overcome an obstacle.

I’ll chew on it a bit more and then maybe create a new thread with some AI generated portraits for each nation and some pregenned stats to choose from.