Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

What is Spiritfarer?

Spiritfarer is a game released by Thunder Lotus games on August 18, 2020. And is best described as Stardew Valley of Death. And while said description may bring to mind images of the denizens of Stardew at a heavy metal concert, this death is more... literal.

Uhhh... literal death?

Right... so the gameplay is similar to that of Stardew, there's farming, ranching, and fishing, though except for the latter, not to the same degree or game reliance on it. Where as Stardew is built on the farming, this game uses it more as a gameplay mechanic to keep you interested in the story. That's not to say the gameplay is bad - far from it. The gameplay is quite good and I'll frequently find myself saying 10 more minutes so I can do X and then play for another hour. This combined with the story can keep you playing through the end of the game quite easily.

Story of death, right?

Right... anyway! You get a boat where you take on passengers and make nice little areas on the boat for them! And you can make monstrosities of your boat as time goes on.

That looks cozy, cute, and wholesome... how is there death in this?

Uhhh, let me flip through my notes and- oh, the soundtrack is amazing! Like top notch stuff! Combined with the graphics this game is just an artistic masterpiece for the senses!

So a masterpiece... of death

...Which brings me to the final point, yeah - the game is ultimately about death. It's not shy about it - the final release of DLC was bundled with the game and called the "Farewell Edition". The characters are fantastically written, and I can tell you that several of these characters felt truer to life than many other games I've played... Which can only exacerbate the unfortunate subject matter the game is about.

Essentially the story is about ferrying people on a journey of their life. Helping them with any last requests and making them feel secure before... the end. This can range from family reunions, putting on plays, nostalgia hunts, or just some really good food. Ultimately though, it can only end one way.

Please make sure you understand this before reading the LP. Just... take care of yourself in these less than ideal times.

Wow, so I guess you just spoiled everything, huh?

Just like with life - the journey is what matters most. As such, do not spoil story beats. Discussion is fine, but if you know what's going on - please do not tell everyone some ridiculous scenario about how Stella and Daffodil team up with Summer to fight dragons. Let people find things out on their own.

How will this LP work then?

This is going to be a screenshot heavy LP - for several reasons.

• While I think the gameplay is quite good, it does NOT translate well to being watched. Being able to show off potentially hours of 'grinding' (I do not use this word negatively) with only like 5 - 10 screenshots is invaluable.
  • Discussions with characters are also quite good, however outside of several key moments, a video isn't necessary to convey that information compared to people reading it.
  • I'm bad at video editing :v:

The main problem with a SSLP of the game is that the animations are quite good and every character has a sound cue when talking that can vary depending on their emotional state.These do lend themselves to video quite well, and the lack thereof may reduce someone's enjoyment. I will do my best to show these off when I can or post some random videos here and there for you to get the 'body language' of the characters when reading.

With that all said, pay your fare and let's ride in...

Update 1: Flowing Through the Seas of Time
Update 2: Albert's Loan
Update 3: Three's Company

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Reserved

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Update 1: Flowing Through The Seas of Time

Spiritfarer(Main Theme)

Welcome to Spiritfarer! The calming music overlooking the sea is very wonderful to just have on while you get ready to play. In between all the, y'know death, there's a lot of relaxing and calming stuff in the game!

As you can see, I believe I'm qualified to do this LP. Can't get better than 100%!

There is an option to play with co-op at any time, but it's kinda like the co-op in like Mario Galaxy where the second person is just helping the first collect resources while the first person actually plays. Great if a kid wants to join in I suppose.

...Just now realizing that Mario Galaxy 1 came out like 16 years ago. :corsair:

The Spiritfarers

Charon's Burden

I thought for a second you would never wake up, little one. How ironic that would have been, would it not? I'm Charon.

Pretty amazing to bait us with the girl and cat characters but have us play as some gigantic dude in a dinghy, but Thunderlotus is a pretty daring developer. Props to them.

Well, that is what I have been until your arrival. I cannot say that I am sad to leave, but I still had a few things left to do here. I'm afraid you will have to pick up things where I left them. It is, after all, my very last day.

Welcome, Stella. I see you have brought a friend here with you. What's his name?

I see. You two will share the burden then. And take it over from me. As I said, in a few minutes I will be gone from this world. And that is why you are here.

In a surprise to no one, I lied above. We are Stella! Originally, the devs wanted to let players create their own character to experience the game with, but ultimately decided against this for the purpose of creating a story about Stella. I'm very happy with this because the story would have needed serious rewrites to work as well as it does with a create-a-character stand-in.

Listen, your task here will be far from easy, but simple nonetheless. Go fetch the stray spirits stranded on the islands, and when they are ready, bring them back here.

You will have to help them fulfill their last requests, and be at their service until their last breath.

The alpha where everything starts, the omega where everything ends. This is where all the quests get completed and where existence meets its threshold. There is no task more important that this one. Never forget this Stella. Here, there is something I need to give you.

It is the Everlight. The symbol of your status here, and the only tool you will ever need.

Well, that settles it. The Everlight will help you throughout your travels. It will be the light that shines in the darkness, the last remaining hope of the departed.

Hope is a flame, the light that never falters, the beacon of eternity. It is heavy and inconvenient, but there is no greater duty than this one. The fate of lost souls rests on your shoulders.

Look, I was overwhelmed, too, at first. Just try to keep your focus. Take it one step at a time. You will soon get used to this place. Accustomed to these moments. You are the new Spiritfarers, after all.

Once I am gone, you will have to find a Ship of your own. Mine is not suited for you, and it will fade away once I am gone.

It also would be a struggle to fit more than us on it for long periods of time. I'm not sure how Charon is going around the world fulfilling people's wishes with a glorified canoe.

You might find one not too far from here, if you keep rowing in the right direction for some time. Probably.

Thanks for the vote of confidence big C.

...Huh, I can't tell you why but I feel this... melancholy from that moment? Not sure what it means.

So when Charon said the Everlight was the only thing we'd ever need - he meant it. That thing can transform into literally any tool we will ever use. A pickaxe, shears, a watering can, oven mitts... anything the heart desires apparently. And right now the heart desires to GTFO.

Thanks to the power of plot the Everlight, we manage to find a place to dock our canoe.

...And now we definitely need to find a boat or this is where our journey ends.

Going to the right just a little bit, the screen expands to show us what looks to be an abandoned harbor. Though there is someone here with us, let's get up there and see.

By the way, I described the gameplay as Stardew Valley-esque, but there are quite a few platforming sections. In fact, many sidequests and main quests depend on platforming as does quite a few collection mini-games. There is nothing too hard for someone to learn, and even the most extreme of it is still very laid back. The game never goes from Mario 1-1 to like Celeste or Super Meat Boy.

Which is good because sometimes the platforming is not the best. It's also where my few gripes about the game usually lie. Mostly because going from one level to the next is not always guaranteed. So that you can feel like you wanted to go higher or lower and the game decided, nah.

Huh, that cloaked person seems to have some kind of animal spirit coming out of them.

???'s Theme

It really is you. Stand up straight and let me get a look at you. ... You look good! And Daffodil is here, too, I see. We'll have to find a lint roller, then.

Oh poo poo!!

Who?

But if you're here it means... Oh... YOU are the new Spiritfarer. YOU are the one replacing Charon.

I'm not sure why you'd jump straight to that conclusion. What if we just shipwrecked and happened to be in the same area as you? Imagine seeing an old friend after like 20 years and being like oh drat, you must be the new grim reaper!! You've changed since college!

I was trying to get rid of him and only ended up here by accident. I've been stuck on this disgusting island for about a week, living off sardines and cigarettes.

Err... wait, you're avoiding him? Why would you be doing that unless...

Oh... right.

I can see you have an Everlight now. Of course. See that boat over there?

It's obviously slightly shabby, but let's commandeer it. I'd wager it will work, since you're the Spiritfarer. OK, meet me on the deck over there. I'll explain it all.

And then she vanished... like a ghooooost. The exclamation marks denote where an important conversation is located, or where you need to go next. It's there so you know when a character has something important to tell you or whether they just have some flavor text to spout. Sometimes the flavor text is good stuff, other times its "Have you been to the cloud district"? I plan to not include the latter after we meet more spirits than Gwen, if this destroys your experience of this LP, my condolences.

That's our whole ship right now. It is, indeed, pretty shabby - with a LOT of junk on it too. Don't worry, by the end of this game we will have a full cruise liner or your end of life experience back guaranteed.

Revelation

I'm not one to jump for joy but this feels good! Much better than anticipated.

So. The way I see it, this boat is yours now. Don't you think? Good. And as you're the Spiritfarer, welcoming stray spirits is your new job. And once aboard, they will assume their true forms. Well, it's my theory anyway.

You need to come here and give me a HUG.

So hey, you know how some games will let you pet the dog and there's like twitter accounts dedicated to letting you know which games you can pet dogs in? Well this game lets you give drat near everyone a hug. And let me tell you, I'm here for it. In fact, every spirit has a dedicated option to hug them at any time. It's great!

You gotta love when your quest is to give someone a hug.

In fact, all stray spirits have this as their interaction GUI. Going from left to right the options are "Give", "Feed", "Talk", "Hug", & "Mood". All are important and all are used, some more than others. I'll detail them all a bit more next time, but for now...

Come with me now. Let's take a look at this chaos.

What a mess. Reminds me of Aunt Petunia's old yard. A beautiful, unorganized testament to someone's laziness. Or a vital impossibility to get rid of anything. At any rate, we should do something about this, or my dust allergies will be back. Let me think.

There is only one way to clean this up. You have to meet Albert.

In my experience, Wesker only makes bigger messes.

He's your local shipwright. And his jokes are garbage.

Hey, so are mine! We should get along very well.

But he is the only one who can fix your boat. We should head to ALBERT'S SHIPYARD.

It's really easy actually. There, let me give you this key I found on the island. It will unlock that cabin in the back. You should find a map projector in there. How do I know all this? Well, I was planning an escape, remember? And you know me. I plan things meticulously.

Go, open up that cabin Stella. The map projector should be simple enough to use, and you just have to go to ALBERT'S SHIPYARD.

Gwen... seems to know a lot... like too much. Regardless, we do need to get a start on this journey, so... to the cabin!

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 29, 2023

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Spiritfarer is a good game. I played it for a while and loved it and its characters, but wasn't able to bring myself to finish it. It goes right for the gut and keeps punching. Stella and Daffodil are magical protagonists.

Looking forward to the LP of it!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
That hug is magical

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Looks interesting.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

really queer Christmas posted:

Ultimately though, it can only end one way.

Please make sure you understand this before reading the LP. Just... take care of yourself in these less than ideal times.
This is good advice and I wish someone gave it to me before I played it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I have heard this game is good. I can't wait to see more of it.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Parody of a story critic: Secretly every character is a ghost and we are in Purgatory.
Thunder Lotus: this, but unironically.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
Stella pretty much has four expressions: Unbridled enthusiasm, loving hugs, surprise at seeing something new, and here-we-go-again bitchface.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Hey, this game! My girlfriend played it but I never saw much of it beyond running and jumping around as the cat (and singing). She loved it so I can't wait to see the story unfold.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Update 2: Albert's Loan

Let's learn how the game works, to better explain why most of this stuff will get cut out.

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 29, 2023

rbakervv
Apr 1, 2008

For the Emperor!!
Note for those reading along, the whole "don't feed them the same food twice" bit? It really means don't feed them the same food twice in a row. It's not that Gwen will never eat popcorn again. She just wants something else first. So once you find out what a passenger likes, you just need to bounce back and forth between two different items.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Update 3: Three's Company

We visit our first major town and pick up two new guests.

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 29, 2023

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Why is every portrait of theodore, instead of someone the filename claims is called "Ephias"?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Atul looks like he'd give great hugs. He's friend shaped!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Regallion posted:

Why is every portrait of theodore, instead of someone the filename claims is called "Ephias"?

Most npcs don't have easily pulled images to use for portraits without taking a screen from the game and doing it myself. I didn't like that result compared to the normal spirits so I pulled portraits from older LPs I have done that fit the theme of the character. Albert, for instance, is a sprite of jawsum - a shark character from Omori. If yall aren't a fan, I can update and go with a different idea.

Ephias, meanwhile, is a merchant character who wears a fox suit from wandersong. Got to give me points for creativity at least. :v:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Most npcs don't have easily pulled images to use for portraits without taking a screen from the game and doing it myself. I didn't like that result compared to the normal spirits so I pulled portraits from older LPs I have done that fit the theme of the character. Albert, for instance, is a sprite of jawsum - a shark character from Omori. If yall aren't a fan, I can update and go with a different idea.

Ephias, meanwhile, is a merchant character who wears a fox suit from wandersong. Got to give me points for creativity at least. :v:
Their previous game, Sundered, was a sprite-based game made in Unity and extracting resources from that is pretty easy. I'm guessing the same goes for Spiritfarer. Asset Studio is my preferred tool of choice.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

NGDBSS posted:

Their previous game, Sundered, was a sprite-based game made in Unity and extracting resources from that is pretty easy. I'm guessing the same goes for Spiritfarer. Asset Studio is my preferred tool of choice.

I had some trouble doing this before the LP started just said screw it and gave up, I'd just figure out a solution. Trying again, getting it, and now having all assets... is making me feel like a lovely LPer. Oh well, can't win them all.

Portraits for first few updates. This should make some later bonus updates much easier for me to do or even fathom doing.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Wait, these people made sundered of all things? That's a hell of a tonal shift.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Update 4: Summertime Dragons

And then Stella & Daffodil team up to stop a dragon

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 2, 2023

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Oh, its a brochure. Not the worst marketing stunt I've seen. I still think it's that adult swim one where they put up a bunch of bombs in like the Boston area around the time of the Boston bombing. I still think about that every now and then as like a what the hell were you thinking.
I got curious and looked this up because it sounded pretty interesting but turned out to be kind of tame. It happened years before the marathon bombing so obviously that doesn't factor into it, and they were basically just home made litebrites depicting the mooninites that didn't look anything like bombs. Fortunately sanity prevailed at the trial and they weren't convicted of a felony because there was clearly no intent to cause a panic.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
The Sawmill minigame specifically was the one I had the most trouble with, I don't think I've ever managed a perfect cut on the wood. It got a bit frustrating and tedious to keep doing. Luckily, the other minigames have all felt better to control and more engaging.

Meeting the dragon was a cool moment in game, and always is when you come back to it. Later dragon mining visits did get a bit tough, platforming-wise.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I absolutely love this game. I've spent countless hours playing this with my youngest too. She was three when I started and I thought she could have fun running around as a cat while I played the game. Within a few months she was able to do most things in the game and when she hit four she was able to run the ship on her own. I bought this again on the Switch and we go back to it from time to time.

This game is absolute magic and it's easy to forget the darkness that surrounds it.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
There were a bunch of local memes here in Boston about the Mooninite thing because of how ridiculous it made all of our elected officials look. The more Internet-poisoned people around here still celebrate January 31st in remembrance.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Update 5: Clotho, Lachesis, Atropos

Gwen opens up a bit more to us.

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 6, 2023

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

This game. This game. It's... It's a game I have mixed feelings on, I guess. But I suspect that a lot of what my negative feelings are about it are... Re. The mechanics of the basebuilding. Because besides from that, it's made with a lotta heart.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
This seems like a charming little game. I think I watched a review of it once but I hardly remember it.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Update 6: Arise ye Workers From Your Slumbers

Stella joins a strike.

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 8, 2023

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Fair warning, for whatever reason, Polsy doesn't work for me when I plug in videos that I have uploaded. So most music/video links in this update will take you directly to youtube. I've made sure there's no tags on it, but just be warned in case there be spoilers on the sidebars.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Update 7: A Smoker's Curse

What? You've never made coal in your oven? You just put sawdust in and bam, coal pops out.

It's been quite a bit of time since we've seen Gwen. It has to have been days at this point. Is her door still locked?

...Oh... it's... not...

But where is she? She's not elsewhere on the ship, and her door has been locked for days...

It takes a bit for Atul to notice, but he finally comes up and asks us the same thing we are asking ourselves.

Do you think she ran away? Maybe back to her parent's villa?

That could be it. Why would she go back though? She seemed to not want to deal with her emotions there... still, let's head straight over there and see if she is at the villa.

Gwen's Theme

Stella! I... I'm sorry. Sorry I even considered doing this.

Running away? Gwen that's o-

Ending your days in your family house is so cliche to boot... I can't explain myself either. I just wanted to finish it off, you know. To decide on my own terms how I'd go. And not let myself be taken away... I've been weak, I'm sorry.

Oh, the irony. Crap, I feel so selfish now. Sometimes, I wish I could've been like you. But rarely.

Ah, crap. Hug me now.

Thank you so much. I needed that. You always pull through.

Well, that was scary. At least we have Gwen back on board for our adventures.

Me?

I've lost my house because of you. Your friend wasn't using it! It should be mine. I have rights, you know? Now, that old shrew kicked me out. I'm back to being the gardener. But the biggest rub is... my house is locked. I'll break that padlock and get my dignity back. Someday! Leave me alone for now, I have work to do.

This gives us a sidequest! We don't get too many of those, or well, many to show off. Most of these can get you some upgrades or items/recipes that can be hard to find otherwise. This one says to let the Gardner do his thing, so I guess we'll be back some day.

Now then, Gwen is back and ready to be part of the crew again! So let's continue on with our last task and head to Furogawa and see if we can find Giovanni. It does look like we can find some Pork for Atul here too! I can't tell you how many times he's asked me for some drat Pork Chops by now.

Rose? You mean Stella's aunt Rose?

When I was healed, I didn't want to go back to my old life. To the ways of poison and hatred. Rose had reminded me of my youthful love. Unintentionally, she had unveiled my eyes... I sold everything I owned. Took every dirty penny I had ever earned. I bought a plot of remote land, and started anew. I listened to the hidden songs of nature. When you listen, Stella, really listen. The plants tell you all sorts of things. What they like, what they need. Who they love. Some called it biodynamic farming. I call it the "listening to the universal chant."

I carved this little nest in the middle of the woods. And when finally it responded, when the flowers and the trees and the birds started flourishing, stronger than they ever could with the touch of poison, On the day of the solstice when the hill was emerald green... Well, that's when I asked her to marry me.

Aww... that's sweet. At least we know she said yes.

You know, not something you want to hear a Lynx ever say to you. Or well, for it to say anything at all!

Astrid's Theme

Don't be afraid! You're so pretty, Munchkin! You remind me so much of how I used to be when I was younger. I used to wear a red ribbon in my hair, just like in the magazines. The boys always noticed me, you know. I could've had Tony, the barber's son. He was quite rich and had a red convertible! Or even Al, the ski champion. Oh, Al, he had the nicest butt! But Giovanni! Ah, Giovanni... Whatever I did, whatever happened, he always made me smile. His eyes looked like shooting stars, his hair smelled like morning dew. But enough of this. Daydreaming won't get us anywhere.

This ride over is really making people reminisce today, huh?

Gwen comes up and asks for food, she has been gone for several days after all, so let's try some shellfish, I suppose.

Is that... Shellfish? Oh, no. No, no, no. Not for me. Sorry.

Oh.. err, how about the shrimp cocktail?

Ha, this is absolutely exquisite! Worthy of the best Fine Dining restaurants I've been to. And I've been in those a lot. Thanks a lot!

Ah, figured out her final like and dislike all in one. It was like I was reading from a guide/script, but I wouldn't do that. I'm certainly not going to segue-way into our new location right now.

Furogawa is a nice little town, probably about the same size as Hummingberg. Some of the later towns can be quite large!

We're here. Let's go down.

Furogawa Theme

Mmm, that's funny. Is it his cologne that I can smell? This peculiar mix of musk and nonchalance? He must have been here recently! Quick, Munchkin, let's ask around!

Thankfully, we don't have to look around for very long. Just a bit up the hill is someone who reacts with familiarity to the name...

Giovanni! That name... don't say that name. He almost broke up my marriage. Came here, a month ago. Big man! Thinking he's the boss. Good thing my wife came to her senses. He apparently didn't like the weather. Good riddance.

Ah, the fur managed to save this marriage. Too bad it seems to have ruined another...

Sorry, Stella, I... Oh, drat it! Enough is enough! I'm done wasting my time! I won't be looking for that hoodlum anymore! I don't need him to be happy! I don't need to hear his stupid jokes and incessant yammering. I don't need to be suffocated by his floral cologne. I don't need to have him constantly showering me with praise. I don't need to see his flamboyant mane... I don't... I...

Well, YOU can go back Astrid, but we are going to take a quick look around the town to see what we can get up to.

Ooh, like this spirit! This looks like someone we can recruit to the crew! Let's see how they are feeling about the sea life!

Oh, what impeccable timing! I am in dire need of assistance. I can tell from your friendly and familiar face that you are undoubtedly the helpful type! Listen, I'm looking to complete this set of five traditional woodprints. They date from the Ushiro period, and as such, are invaluable! I have found four of them, but, alas, the last one eludes me.

I am certain it is in this very village. Furthermore, I am absolutely positive that it was recently in the possession of the local shopkeeper, Theodore. But he refuses to even acknowledge its existence! What an irksome little man... raccoon... tanuki.. whatever he is! But with your help... Yes! With that sweet little smile of yours, and generally non-threatening attitude... Well, I['m sure you can schmooze your way into acquiring that last precious piece of this slippery puzzle! Well, go ahead, Skipper, I can't wait!

Well, I won't lie, I'll probably do anything someone asks if they call me Skipper. It's such a nice thing to be called! Gives respect, makes you feel cool, and it's fun to say!

Here's the raccoon/tanuki now. Actually, thinking about it, there's no way he can be a tanuki, at least based on how he reacted to Gwen snapping at him.

Is our catalog not to your satisfaction? Are you interested in some... specialized items?

Oh, a woodprint, you say? Yes, yes, I know it. It sat in my special stock for an eternity, and then, suddenly, everyone was looking for it! At first, it was this pedantic person. Very rude! And worse, they were haggling on everything! I didn't even tell them of the print. Gave them some junk instead. And then, later, this giant walrus lady came in, and demanded that I sell it to her. The thought crossed my mind to start a bidding war. But she offered some serious coin for it. That lady, let me tell you, she was l-o-a-d-e-d. Anyway, that's all I know about it.

Welp! Sounds like our friend isn't going to be happy about that, which means they very likely aren't going to join the crew yet. :sigh:

Theodore does have some pork for sale, so I pick a couple pounds up. This should make Atul's stomach a couple decibels quieter.

Did you manage to get the missing print? No? It was already sold?? But... How?? Wait... Is there... a competing art collector roaming about? A walrus lady, you say?... Of course... Of course it was her! Oh, that horrid woman!

She calls herself "The Collector," if you can believe it! She doesn't even collect anything! Oh, I'm sure she bought the print only to spite me. I should have never told her about my collection! That ugly-rear end sack-face...

... drat dude, it's just a woodprint. You don't need to get that personal.

Well, I'm not one to wave away competition! The ugly witch is in hiding. In hiding from you!! I don't specifically know why, but the news of a new Spiritfarer made her skitter away like a puny cockroach. How fitting! Yes, yes, you're the Spiritfarer... Tell me something I don't know... She should have known better than to tell me the location of her hideout, though. She's hiding at these coordinates: -150,150. Pay her a visit, would you? And when you see her, show her this figurine. She'll know... Believe me... she'll know...

This new spirit scares and intrigues me. Sadly, -150,150 is past the ice wall, so we can't go just yet. We still need to find a spirit flower, where are we going to get one of those?

Finishing up in this town, there's actually a shrine right behind Theodore! Let's investigate and see what sorta power it gives!

Oh, HELL YES! Gliding is great, feels great, and unlocks some new stuff for us in areas we've already been! It's also quite fun due to something we'll get to see very soon!

Thanks to Summer and Astrid, we now have the power to glide in mid air! So why is this so cool?

If there is a gust of wind nearby, you can fly up incredibly high! It's very good for quickly getting around places. I will be gliding quite a lot from now on.

Now then, there's a couple of other things to do in town, but nothing worth showing off. There's another tour that kinda repeats the same joke as before in Gurenu Fields. There's also a little kid we can reach from gliding who refuses to go home to his angry mom... who then blames us for this??? But again, nothing important. It's time to head to the boat and plan our next destination. We still have to find a spirit flower, upgrade our ship for Astrid's house, feed Atul some pork chops, and check out that Mountaintop for Summer... Huh, I'm kinda surprised Gwen doesn't want anything. Maybe we just need to wait?

Ah, speaking of the devil! I wonder what she'll want from us? What else can we give her at this point?

Look, this will come as a shock. But I'm ready to leave. I just can't fight it anymore...

But it's ok. I know you're with me. Bring me to the Everdoor, where you met Charon. I'm ready. I think.

I... I won't lie, as much as I complained about Gwen and tutorials and how it takes too long to finally see her character to come through... this still is a gut punch to me. Despite, well everything. Gwen isn't just the tutorial on how to play the game, how to manage the mood and happiness of your crewmates. She's also the tutorial on how you deal with the Everdoor. Though every other character can go through at different points, and potentially holding them off longer than expected. Gwen will always be the first you take to the Bridge.

And... so we go, to 0,0. The Everdoor. The Beginning... and the end.

When we escort someone to the Everdoor, I always try to make sure I give them their favorite meal. You don't get a bonus for doing this, it just makes me feel better about the whole ordeal.

There's... nothing left to do with Gwen. We've also made sure she can be as happy as she can be. No more conversations, nothing more to discover. Just...

The Everdoor

Ok. Here we are. I guess... I guess I had been waiting for that moment to arrive. Sooner or later.

The game will always give you a prompt when spirits ask this question, and I'm always so tempted to select 'no'. They may be ready, but I'm not.

Thank you.

As with the unmasking and awakenings... the whole crew will come to the back of the boat... to see them off for one final time.

Look. There is something I wanted to give you. I used to hide it in my old music box. I don't know why, but it always felt to me like it was the best hiding spot. Here it is.

I haven't thought about this old thing in a while. It barely works. I stole it off Father when I was twelve.

Please... use it to remember me. In the good times. In the bad times. They exist together. Intertwined. If there is one thing you learned from me, it should be that.

:siren:Gwen's Final Voyage:siren:

*Stills really can't do the next scene justice, and are there for completion sake. Please, watch the video. If you don't watch the video, please at least, click the next music link.*

Last Voyage

Me being here, now. You know me, I've never been one to dwell on the past. Mainly because it always felt overwhelming to me. Like an irrepressible wave of resentment. But even at this very moment, I still wonder. I don't know if I ever tried to connect. And I've been so sure of it. My opinion just never changed.

You know what I've always said. That people come and go, but don't pay attention to each other. They never really did. That lives are only ever parallel. Adjacent at best. Well.

I can see that now. And you're the proof of it. And not just you, but Mum cared, as well. In her own way. And others here, even given the circumstances. I still don't know about Father. I should probably forgive him now. Find that last shred of strength left in me. Would that make me a better person? Would that make a difference? Maybe. But after all this... I don't think I care. And it doesn't matter.

I had you. You are a wonderful person, Stella. My life would not have been the same without you. The light you showed me was more than a beacon. It was a guide. Only I was too blind to see it. My shades were too opaque.

Let's go. I can't hold it any longer.

Thank you for bringing me here, even if you didn't want to. Thank you for kicking my butt, and shaking my ego. Don't forget that I've loved you as much as I could.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Everyone should be sent off with a hug like that :unsmith:

Silver Spooner
Jun 10, 2013
Not ashamed to admit that I ugly-cried more than once playing this game. There are a few characters in here and their stories are heartbreaking.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Stupid... ninjas... cutting onions... where I can't see 'em...

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
I finally realized what I was really in for with this game at this scene. It never got any easier to experience.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Yeah... For all my critiques and dislikes of the gameplay, the writing and characterization are solid. Real solid.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Update 8: Memories That Were Left Behind

The First Meeting

Memories

Eh? How the hell did we get here? We were just at the Everdoor with Gwen and... now we're in shapeless void?

And... Why are there butterflies here?

Is that a... family dinner? That's a big table! I don't think I've ever had a family dinner all able to fit at one table.

Kids... bikeriding? Oh, that bridge looks familiar though. That's the Hummingberg bridge.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

...And then he vanished? Though I don't feel good about the next climb.

A party? What... is all this?

Guardians

For such a long time I have been watching you, Stella. Close, yet far. You've kept your distance, but you knew I was there, hidden in every shadow, skulking in every silence.

Even as my existence was but a foreign thought. And as your loved ones surrounded you with care and affection, I waited, silently. Your joy, your pride, your happiness. Moments of laughter, of bliss, of friendship.

I know it feels just like yesterday, but the hourglass has turned, and at last, you have found me. Go now, for I have not yet fully awoken. Resume your duties. Carry on your graceful dance. We'll meet again. Soon...

Well... that just got ominous out of nowhere. We didn't even get time to grieve for Gwen and we are just back here.

Eh? What's in Gwen's house?

Oh...

...Oh. That's how you get Spirit Flowers. Well... just need to do that again every time we need to progress, huh?

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
I should mention that this LP encouraged me to pick the game up, and I'm having fun so far!

Also, the game is currently 75% off on the Switch so if you're looking to play along, now might be a good time to grab it.