Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
This book is long as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003

Arrhythmia posted:

This book is long as hell.

:hai:

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
i doubt any human has read it cover to cover

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

I'm gonna I'm built different.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

I'm gonna I'm built different.

This.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I'm around page 400 or so and it's just so insanely engrossing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
it's a good book imo

Angstrom Gothington
Feb 19, 2007

Raise your arms in the big black sky, raise your arms the highest you can, so the whole universe will glow.
It is a good book but if you're intimidated by its length you can just read the appendix where Tolstoy tells you what the themes are.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Angstrom Gothington posted:

It is a good book but if you're intimidated by its length you can just read the appendix where Tolstoy tells you what the themes are.

I'm not intimidated. I'm built different.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The movie already spoiled the ending for me unforch

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

do they pick war or peace at the end

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

I have

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

just started it earlier. good stuff so far

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

Angstrom Gothington posted:

I confess to having done that.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i enjoyed war and peace. it has a scene with borzois in

long dogs in a long book

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i enjoyed war and peace. it has a scene with borzois in

long dogs in a long book

Lol. There's a good part shortly before this where Natasha goes "oh pretty doggies :)" and nikolai thinks "they're not dogs they're wolf hounds :qq:"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

Lol. There's a good part shortly before this where Natasha goes "oh pretty doggies :)" and nikolai thinks "they're not dogs they're wolf hounds :qq:"

lol Tolstoy owns

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I have because it owns. maybe I should reread it again soon in a different translation

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I read this in high school but it didn't stick with me then. Maybe I'll give it a reread.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

finished book one. drat it's great

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

tristeham posted:

finished book one. drat it's great

it's

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Irl cackled with mischevious glee every time someone was like "we're surely going to beat the french here and now, at this small town, called Austerlitz"

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Arrhythmia posted:

Irl cackled with mischevious glee every time someone was like "we're surely going to beat the french here and now, at this small town, called Austerlitz"

lol yeah

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I loving hate Anatole so much lol. loving little creep.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I'm going to squish him. god. i hope napoleon shoots him.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I have a vague memory of hating Boris Dubretskoy too

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

ulvir posted:

I have a vague memory of hating Boris Dubretskoy too

So far he's just been like... an empty social climber. IDK he hasn't really done anything except chase clout and paper, which I can't say I'm sympathetic towards but I also can't bring myself to hate him for it.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
took me a solid year to read on the shitter at work, couple of pages a day. a lot of it did not stick with me but the best parts (andrei and the old oak tree) are up there with some of the best fiction i've ever read

LtK
Dec 6, 2011

The Universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience.
One wonders if 'War and Peace' would have been as highly acclaimed as it was had it been published under its original title, 'War, What is it Good For?'

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Started twice and I crash out every time on the first party scene. I just can’t give enough poo poo about XIX century aristocracy and their problems.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Mokotow posted:

Started twice and I crash out every time on the first party scene. I just can’t give enough poo poo about XIX century aristocracy and their problems.

Not dissing you but a bit of an odd book choice then

e: It occurs to me that you may not have known this about yourself before starting on War and Peace. I retract my remark.

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 25, 2024

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Books are a journey to self-discovery, yes.

I guess I had an inklings of what I was getting into, but also, I feel I should read the classic. This one is just front-loaded (like Proust, say) and it has this wall in the first chapter that makes you go „nah, I’m not ready for this”.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Mokotow posted:

Books are a journey to self-discovery, yes.

I guess I had an inklings of what I was getting into, but also, I feel I should read the classic. This one is just front-loaded (like Proust, say) and it has this wall in the first chapter that makes you go „nah, I’m not ready for this”.

Never mind! You gave it a try. No sense hating it.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

About 100 pages in, Tolstoy is really into being mean to kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mokotow posted:

you can skip ahead to page ... 800 or something? and then the end, for a couple of essays on history and wars