Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
a factor of 2?!? something must be done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
oh sure it starts that way, but before you know it it becomes a square root of two, then it gets multiplied by a bunch of other things, then it divides out another square root of two later by accident, one that's actually supposed to be there, then you forget about that and you miss the fact that terms on both side of the equations cancel out which would be obvious at a glance otherwise, then you need to think about it for a bit and manually reintroduce a square root of two over square root of two factor, then you swear that actually you're not completely terrible at math and it's other people's fault this keeps happening

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sweevo posted:

using τ probably does make more sense, but the community of people pushing it are the most insufferable bunch imaginable. they really give off the vibe of nikola tesla fanboys or dvorak keyboardailures who have to make it their personality and work it into everything

basically the same people that want to use tebibytes or whatever

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Hed posted:

basically the same people that want to use tebibytes or whatever

hi

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
u ok??

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
what the gently caress is a tebibyte

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

it's extremely loving stupid is what it is

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
sounds like we need a ligature

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i will never in my life ever say kibibyte or mebibyte or whatever out loud, gently caress that bullshit

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

well we all get old

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
the proper thing is to just say kilobyte or megabyte, but implicitly that is base 2 not 10, and the reader just has to know that

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

kibibyte

dog food unit of measurement

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

DELETE CASCADE posted:

the proper thing is to just say kilobyte or megabyte, but implicitly that is base 2 not 10, and the reader just has to know that

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

yeah, the hard drive manufacturers who tried to get away with base 10 should have to use the dumb name, gigashits or something

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
if i actually give enough of a gently caress about the difference between 2^40 and 10^13 bytes of storage, then i'm probably doing something important and large-scale enough that i should just check the exact number of bytes anyways

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

if i actually give enough of a gently caress about the difference between 2^40 and 10^13 bytes of storage, then i'm probably doing something important and large-scale enough that i should just check the exact number of bytes anyways

thats a lot of linux isos

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
yeah i collect linux isos. bit of a connoisseur you could say. recently got my hand on a rare mandrake linux 5.3 festen, french version. you probably never heard of it

anyways seems like i'm gonna need to expand the ol' hadoop cluster again soon

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

yeah i collect linux isos. bit of a connoisseur you could say. recently got my hand on a rare mandrake linux 5.3 festen, french version. you probably never heard of it

anyways seems like i'm gonna need to expand the ol' hadoop cluster again soon

come back to me when you manage to get the north korean linux flavor, poser

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

now this is some fine math:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burgers%27_equation

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
been thinking lately