Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Haha oh man I thought you were just being cheeky, glad I clicked that link!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

checkplease posted:

Just watched Sorcerer myself today, pretty good stuff though there is this kind of lull after the intros and before they get into the truck. Bridge scenes were iconic and some of those deaths are big surprises. Conceptually I have to wonder how a big oil company can’t just find more dynamite quickly, but guess they hired these guys for pretty cheap.

Any reason for the title beyond being on one of the trucks?

Wikipedia has a whole thing about the title but he got the idea from a miles Davis album of the same name, and felt the name fit the theme of the movie somehow.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I'll get this out of the way first: William Friedkin was a psycho and shithead and I sincerely hope that there was at least one point in his adult life where someone decked him right in the face and got away with it.

That being said, the guy was on a roll in the 70s for sure. Sorcerer and The Exorcist in particular still hold up going on fifty (!) years now. I'd just revisited them recently so this news hits a bit harder for me than it otherwise might've. I also caught the recent documentary Leap of Faith: William Friedkin on The Exorcist which plays like a commentary track with pictures, but Friedkin gets so into telling his anecdotes it's a worthwhile watch regardless. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/leap_of_faith_2019

Aren't all directors psychos and shitheads?

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Only the good ones

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Zack Snyder is lovely by all accounts.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
I just watched Killer Joe for the first time the other night. It is such a disgusting and sleazy movie and I absolutely loved the ending. What a ballsy performance by everyone involved to create that thing.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

Friedkin made a good movie once.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Snowman_McK posted:

why lob up a softball like this

bbobseq
Jul 1, 2023
thank you for the mental image of a conversation between Friedkin and Zack Snyder :cheers:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DeimosRising posted:

why lob up a softball like this

i thought he was joking.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Turpitude posted:

I just watched Killer Joe for the first time the other night. It is such a disgusting and sleazy movie and I absolutely loved the ending. What a ballsy performance by everyone involved to create that thing.

Thomas Hayden Churchs suit falling apart when theyre speaking to the lawyers is some all time slapstack.

Also his delivery of "you want some potato salad?" will always pop into my head whenever I see potato salad anywhere.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 18, 2023