Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

The Zack posted:

Congrats, Silly Burrito. I didn't throw the game!

:hfive: Never crossed my mind for a moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Fitting that I finished dead last after never getting to shell anyone, lol.

Grats on staying at the top despite the non-stop shelling Silly Burrito!

Thanks for running this chaotic competition Vargo! And I truly hope your Dad fully recovers and settles into a stable living situation.

Have a good 2024 everyone!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I'm really happy you all liked playing this dumb little game of mine, I'm going to do some tweaks to the offseason and will be back next year!

Here's the record of shells I saw/could remember:

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

As an observer, holy poo poo. The players stolen from Silly Burrito underperformed for the most part and the ONE player Silly Burrito stole was amazing in the final week.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Vargo posted:

I'm really happy you all liked playing this dumb little game of mine, I'm going to do some tweaks to the offseason and will be back next year!

Here's the record of shells I saw/could remember:

I (Bullet Hill) also had 2 steals from being in 2nd last when the last place team forgot to shell. I traded Engram for Kelce (fart) and Purdy for Josh Allen right before the playoffs.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

DTaeKim posted:

As an observer, holy poo poo. The players stolen from Silly Burrito underperformed for the most part and the ONE player Silly Burrito stole was amazing in the final week.

all part of my master plan muahahahahahahahaha

edit: and technically the Achane trade was ruled as a plain trade, not a shell

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Also you made me think to go back and check.

How it started:

How it ended:

The only players I kept the whole year: Brian Robinson Jr., Devonta Smith, Justin Tucker, and James Cook. That's it. Dang.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Upon reflection an 8-team league is probably too small to run a game like this. Especially since people were stocking a few real stinkers on their team to swap, there were always a few decent options to find on the waiver wire. A lot of those swaps seem be in the same tier too. Like Metcalf for Amari straight-up or this-season Kelce for Hock are trades that wouldn’t raise an eyebrow in most leagues.

What I’m saying is next year 20-team league, 8-deep bench :hehe:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Freaquency posted:

Upon reflection an 8-team league is probably too small to run a game like this. Especially since people were stocking a few real stinkers on their team to swap, there were always a few decent options to find on the waiver wire. A lot of those swaps seem be in the same tier too. Like Metcalf for Amari straight-up or this-season Kelce for Hock are trades that wouldn’t raise an eyebrow in most leagues.

Good lord, 20 team on steroids. You'd need blue shells, red shells, the banana, dynamite and Spock.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Freaquency posted:

Yeah, I was stocking some stinkers... as an intentional strategic maneuver... scout's honor!

Edit:

At the end of the regular season, I had the lowest Points For, highest Points Against, hadn't scored 100+ since Week 6, AND I could have snuck in the playoffs if I'd managed to put anyone worth a drat into the Flex category in Week 15. A-Kamariooooo :argh:

Not that my roster deserved a playoff berth, or would have done anything more than lose huge with gusto...

Just saying I hit more than my fair share of banana peels, mud puddles, and upside-down trap-power-ups this season. :coolspot:

also i am a dumbass who unbookmarked this thread by accident and didn't realize it til week 13 or something, oops!

kalensc fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 5, 2024

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

kalensc posted:

Yeah, I was stocking some stinkers... as an intentional strategic maneuver... scout's honor!

Yes, for me drafting Davante was a clever tactic and not at all a gigantic fuckup :ninja:

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Freaquency posted:

Yes, for me drafting Davante was a clever tactic and not at all a gigantic fuckup :ninja:

Would you like Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Jones, and Garrett Wilson as 3 of your top four picks?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

kalensc posted:

Would you like Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Jones, and Garrett Wilson as 3 of your top four picks?

I’ll trade you Chubb/Adams/Kupp/Dameon Pierce.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Freaquency posted:

I forgot i had Amari, couldn't wait to dump him. Definitely didn't see a 40+ game out of him.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
So here's a question, I don't think it's a major secret that my strategy was to just tank my way through the season and absorb everything I could take. What do you think of your personal strategy for the season for this league, and do you see yourself changing it next year?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Next year I'm trading my picks for futures, so I can build a team entirely through blue shells in 2024, and have picks galore in 2025-2028.

Trust the Princess Peach Process.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Silly Burrito posted:

So here's a question, I don't think it's a major secret that my strategy was to just tank my way through the season and absorb everything I could take. What do you think of your personal strategy for the season for this league, and do you see yourself changing it next year?

My plan was to try to hover around 2nd-4th place and also draft a few stinkers to use as land mines in case I ever dropped to the bottom. Unfortunately, it backfired and I wound up spending a lot of time second-to-last, meaning I kept losing but never getting the shell.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
(Team Waaahhh)

My strategy was to stay as close as possible to 2nd place without going over. It got me... 2nd place.

Early on I was focused on winning, then I intentionally lost a few games to avoid being shelled. The short benches made tanking interesting because I couldn't sit all of my starters. Something to consider going forward.

Next year, I won't be so afraid of getting shelled. Unless it's a large league. In an 8-teamer you can pick up good players off the wire.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

The Zack posted:

(Team Waaahhh)

Next year, I won't be so afraid of getting shelled. Unless it's a large league. In an 8-teamer you can pick up good players off the wire.

Honestly, this was my reasoning too for not worrying about the blue shells that much. Holding on to the traded player for a week isn’t ideal with a short bench, but I could usually grab someone off waivers with RB2/WR2 stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Once I got to first I tried to tank. By the time I needed to win my team sucked rear end.