Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just lift weights while smoking cigarettes and it works really well but now my brain associates lifting weights with nicotine cravings so I can never quit smoking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I only grow stronger and more powerful, so, yeah. So far!

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
Good and bad?

I'm in my 30s so I'm not a decrepit grampa yet.

Bad:

It sucks seeing all the Old People in my life get really old and start dying off. Just an endless announcement of old relatives and neighbors and teachers kicking the bucket.

I hate seeing people my own age turn 'old'. I am childless and still 'fun' but a lot of my same-age peers, even those without kids, have kind of turned into people who just go home and watch Netflix until they fall asleep. I aim to never be that guy, even if it is tempting.

I still don't wear glasses but my eyeballs are not nearly as good.

I obviously am way worse at sports and videogames. I used to get by in basketball on height and pure youthful energy but now I get loving smoked by these young dudes.

Good:

I am more comfortable with who I am. I always hated clubbing. I would just go in my teens and 20s because my friends were doing it but now I can just skip that poo poo when invited. People say it is because I am old I hate it but really I have always hated it but because I am old I now don't give a poo poo who knows I hate it. I don't feel the need to pretend to like poo poo that I used to.

I get laid a lot more now than I did when I was a Hot Hunky Doofus Athlete because I was an absolute moron at the time but now I am wise with a dad bod. I'm not attempting to brag, just more of a recognition that when I was young I was just completely oblivious all the time and was an idiot with dumb standards who would turn down anyone who didn't fit into my extremely narrow band of 'perfect'. Nowadays I just know no one is perfect and I was just a blind idiot. I would like to kick my 22 year old rear end for being such a dumbass.

I don't care about work whatsoever. Obviously I still have to do it but I am completely checked out of the grinding mindset and look aghast at people who work really hard expecting a reward. It feels like a validation of my pre-teen days where I was a nihilist but now I guess I'm a more chill nihilist who realized I was correct all along? Like none of this work poo poo matters but I can be chill about it instead of an edgelord. Kind of like the positive nihilism in the Everything Everywhere movie?

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

I have noticed it takes 20 years to change completely, to become a different person.

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

I have noticed it takes 20 years to change completely, to become a different person.

That sounds like a real betamorphasis pal. :dukedog:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

yeah. people complaining about glass backs and knees and poo poo in their 30s and 40s are permanently sedentary. your bone and muscle density falls off rapidly as you age. work out a bit, you'll feel great even as a geezer!

Yeah. Am now 51 goddamn years old; except for some loss of flexibility (I'm still good on that point, it's just that I used to be even better) I'm in better shape than I was in my early 20s. (Had some sedentary years around then and that did me no good at all). Compared to when I was 30, eh, that's not so straightforward -- I'm sure as poo poo stronger now (since I only started lifting later in my 30s, and have more or less kept lifting since) but had better endurance then (got back into martial arts in my late 20s and kept that up until my mid-30s).

In conclusion, I could beat my 20-year-old self's rear end quite easily; maybe not my 30-year-old self.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Groke posted:

Yeah. Am now 51 goddamn years old; except for some loss of flexibility (I'm still good on that point, it's just that I used to be even better) I'm in better shape than I was in my early 20s. (Had some sedentary years around then and that did me no good at all). Compared to when I was 30, eh, that's not so straightforward -- I'm sure as poo poo stronger now (since I only started lifting later in my 30s, and have more or less kept lifting since) but had better endurance then (got back into martial arts in my late 20s and kept that up until my mid-30s).

In conclusion, I could beat my 20-year-old self's rear end quite easily; maybe not my 30-year-old self.

Hell yeah brother! 20 year olds are weak as heck!

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

I just turned 44 and got my first pair of progressive lenses! gently caress me they were expensive but they work better than advertised. I can read without having to look under my glasses and bring the words four inches from my face!

My far vision has alway been poo poo but close up getting fuzzy is a real wakeup call.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

redshirt posted:

Hell yeah brother! 20 year olds are weak as heck!

20yo me had never even touched a barbell.

The bsstard could beat present-day me in a drinking contest, though. And be perfectly fine the next day.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
what does a 20 year old know of The Way

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Groke posted:

20yo me had never even touched a barbell.

The bsstard could beat present-day me in a drinking contest, though. And be perfectly fine the next day.

I could outdrink 20 year old me too. The kid was soft.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

redshirt posted:

I could outdrink 20 year old me too. The kid was soft.

Nah, for some reason, after I had kids my alcohol tolerance went down quite a bit. Then again, that just means I can pretend to be a whisky or craft beer snob, and spend more time drinking a smaller amount of more expensive stuff (which I can also afford now).

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

redshirt posted:

Here's my "Don't Get Old before you are really freaking old" recipe:

Daily stretching. Only takes 5-10 minutes a day. Every day.
Active lifestyle. However you choose.
Healthy diet.
Moisturizing.
Good sleep.

Obvious, right? Yeah! Do it!

No bullshit, when I met my (now) wife a few years ago and she first moved in I was introduced to actual legit skin care.

Cetaphil for face wash, and bare minimum moisturizer at morning and night, but preferably a light sunscreen for daylight hours. She got me to tip a little further into a hyaluronic acid-toner-retinoid-niacinamide combo at night, and man I wish someone had clued me into this poo poo a long rear end time ago.

Men ought to take care of their skin, ain't nothing wrong with it

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I certainly wouldn't want a redo

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

op, i have not enjoyed the process of living.

so on one hand, i am enjoying that process ending.

on the other, kneeling down really sucks now

:same: I have been done with this since highschool. Not that there haven't been better times on occasion since then but it's like... all I see on the horizon is more bills and more hours at jobs I hate, away from my cat and my friends. I'm not hanging it up yet but I sure am going to be grumpy if I live another 36 years.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Overall, no. I spent my 20s and 30s thinking that I didn't want be one of those stressed out workaholics whose job consumes their life. I have a decent job in a creative field, but I worked just enough to pay the bills and get by, and did way too much drinking and slacking off. Only now do I realize I should have used Adderall instead of booze, adopted a relentlessly self-promoting Instagram grindset life, and hustled and networked my way to a fat six figure salary.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Junk posted:

im 36 and just by improving my diet (not eating takeout or fast food anymore, no more premade frozen foods, more fruit and water) and doing some light exercise, quitting smoking weed in favor of occasionally taking shrooms, i can honestly say this is the best ive felt in my entire adult life. comparing photos, i look younger now than i did 10 years ago

How was the process for you switching from bagged lunch/dinner to actually buying, storing, prepping and cooking food? I struggle to make this transition and give up constantly.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

How was the process for you switching from bagged lunch/dinner to actually buying, storing, prepping and cooking food? I struggle to make this transition and give up constantly.

just meal prep. You spend 20 minutes cooking then pour it into 5-7 mason jars and just grab a mason jar w/ you on your way to work. Easy.

The real key is don't put meat in meal preps just meal prep yourself a vegetarian curry or something, then if you want meat you cook it and add it to a single portion day-of.

If you do put meat in initially though make sure you got something with high acidity in there to avoid warmed-over flavor.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 10, 2023

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
My dick is a percentage longer than when I was a baby, so yes?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last week I went to get new glasses, for years I have worn one contact and just taken my glasses off and off and on the rare occasion I wear them.

"I literally can not write you this prescription without bifocals, it's that bad, whatever you purchase at the store is between you and the store but I can not write this without clearly stating that you desperately need corrections for your presbyopia."

That was fun.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

i dunno, just sheer tyranny of willpower combined with just finding stuff that i like to eat and don't mind cooking. i use an electric wok a lot, cooks chicken and vegetable insanely quickly and tastes great. i guess just learn to enjoy having full control over what flavors you want, like last week i started putting ginger in my stir fries and it makes my house smell like an asian restaurant, it's great.

even if its as simple as making toast in the morning and eating some blueberries with it or something, it's not that much harder than grabbing a pop tart or something lovely like that

i think also whenever i've gotten lazy and gotten takeout after getting into the grove of home cooked meals, or grabbing a coke after not having any soda for a while, it just doesnt taste as good and i notice i feel a lot worse, like my own body is trying to keep me in check or something. pretty cool really

just try a few small things that work for you, stick with it, dont feel like you need to completely upend your lifestyle right away. it's easier to build on that once the feeling good part starts. dont put a ton of pressure on yourself

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I'm still good looking but not as good looking as I used to be OP

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

ElectricSheep posted:

No bullshit, when I met my (now) wife a few years ago and she first moved in I was introduced to actual legit skin care.

Cetaphil for face wash, and bare minimum moisturizer at morning and night, but preferably a light sunscreen for daylight hours. She got me to tip a little further into a hyaluronic acid-toner-retinoid-niacinamide combo at night, and man I wish someone had clued me into this poo poo a long rear end time ago.

Men ought to take care of their skin, ain't nothing wrong with it

This is the one space in my life I've got a leg up on cis dudes. I was taught how to take care of my skin and hair, to smell good and how to do chores like ironing.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: men have to do astoundingly little to be considered a catch, and their parents failed them very hard on not teaching them that lotion is good for more than bad handjobs.

More on topic: I'm unlikely to grey. My father never did, nor did my grandmother, and I take after them both.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
no but it seems likely to get worse

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

this is the oldest ive ever been

VplDyln
Oct 24, 2022
Knowing who ThreeOlives is makes me feel ancient.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am in much better shape than anyone with Leukemia.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Crazyweasel posted:

It feels bad saying this because it was before my kids were around, but in retrospect 23-30 was pretty great. I wouldn’t say “peaking” but definitely the most consistent stretch of outright good times in my adult life.
My 20's were a period of fun, but I accomplished nothing and was financially insecure most of them.
drat 2008 recession

30's saw me land a union construction job with pension, able to a vacation every year.

I don't remember any vacations or even seeing the ocean before that (besides one childhood cedar point amusement park trip where it rained the whole time)

I finally was able to save up a 6 month emergency fund and buy all the things I needed and most of the things I wanted while buying a house I could afford and locking that poo poo to a 2.625% interest rate 15 year mortgage. Almost paid off a new car I got for 0% interest, the house will be paid off in 10 years or so.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

yeah. people complaining about glass backs and knees and poo poo in their 30s and 40s are permanently sedentary. your bone and muscle density falls off rapidly as you age. work out a bit, you'll feel great even as a geezer!
My poo poo is hosed from working manual labor, so I'm going to be sedentary whenever I'm not.

That being said lifting weights, especially deadlifts really helped my back that I've hosed over the years.

Whenever any of my old injuries flare up I'm forced to lift weights for relief, so I should probably just stick with it.

Why can't I seem to eat and sleep myself to 100% anymore? I'm old!

I finally quit drinking alcohol since July 4th and switched to Kava

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Taima posted:

I just don't understand how people resign themselves to working until they are, well, I don't know? Forever? Can we retire?

This poo poo worries me a lot. I don't know if I want to work forever, even at a "good" job.

I'm 36 and I have the same worries. I had a good job that I was at for around 9 years where I didn't have to do a whole lot. Got laid off earlier this year and I'm trying to get another.

The software industry I'm in is fine. It's fairly easy work for pretty good pay. But I still hate it. I hate most of the people in it and everything to do with it. But it beats doing manual labor or something even shittier.

But the thought of doing this for another 20-30 years if not more gives me cosmic dread.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

My first forehead wrinkle finally started forming. It's hardly noticeable but it's all over. Put it off for a long time.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
I am sitting in the doctors office for a cataract evaluation right now, so no. Also, my ankle has been hurting for two months like it’s sprained, but I have no idea how it happened.

I do have more money the more I age though so :shrug:

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I've recently started to smell slightly of piss. What's that about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

try "bath" or "shower"